What an eccentric performance

by kenpodragon 10 Replies latest jw friends

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

One of my favorite movies of all time is "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." I enjoy this movie for many reasons, but most of all for it's satire on society. One of my favorite scenes, and I should warn you that I know them all, is when King Arthur walks up to peasants in the field and tries to explain that he is King of the Britons. The peasant mentions that they did not know they had a king and thought they were a 'autonomous collective' and proceeds to argue. In the end, he argues to the point that he feels he proves his point when he is attacked by Arthur and yells 'now we see the violence inherent in the system' and feels that his point is made. So why do I find this so funny?

Well for one thing, have you ever told someone you did not want to fight or that you wanted to be peaceful, only to have them push and push. They push so hard that they end up bringing out something you do not want to deal with, and you say something you regret. Then they turn and say, "look you are phony, none of what you say matters!" They feel like they brought something out in you, without seeing the responsibility they held in that regard. Almost like they "predicted the outcome" and then did everything in their power to make sure they were right. Does this happen on a larger scale.

Well recently I got a call from a relative still in the Jehovah's Witnesses, telling me about how recently the society has been teaching something. What is it? Well they are saying that all this new aggression against them by outside forces is a fulfillment of prophesy. So basically, they are taking something that is happening, and seeing only the results of their own actions and not the actions they did themselves. How odd is this?

When I was a Witness, I remember this one family that was so strict that they never hardly even let their children see the light of day. The father always said that they were protecting them from harm and saw even the Witness children as bad association. So one day I went and talked to the man and tried to convince him of letting his children go to a 'get together', to which he was very angry. In the end though, he let them go. The children went and because they had never been with other children, they were very active and ran around having a blast. One of them tripped and feel and got a bloody nose. One of the 'sisters' fixed him up, but when the father came and picked up his children. Well he blew up at them and said, "this is why you never do this, you are doing nothing more then getting into more trouble." Basically, he did what the two other paragraphs mentioned above. He pushed something, then helped to make it happen through aggression, and then blamed everyone but himself. Nice little package, isn't it.

So when I got this call from my relatives, telling me that the prophesy was having a fulfillment. I was amazed at the lack of responsibility shown by the religion. To think they can break laws, cause hardships on people, and do wrong on to others. Then to come back and say "I'm being repressed" is the height of all arrogance. Have you thought about it this way, when people call from the religion with their warnings? If not, give it some thought and you will get a very odd picture of people pushing you and pushing you, only to be shocked when you finally struck back. It makes no sense, that a persons or organizations wrong doing would fulfill a prophesy by justice being soot from the victims.

I think the Grail said it best, when thinking about such a odd event. 'What an eccentric performance'

My thought

Dragon

Edited by - kenpodragon on 9 October 2002 14:9:4

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

This same scenario has occurred many times, and I knew that it wouldn't be long before the JWs began declaring that they are being "persecuted" because of their faith.

Other religious groups that experience media fallout for past indiscretions are lambasted by the WTS as being "wicked" and "having rotten fruit" that is finally being brought to light. They, on the other hand, are "persecuted" when their indiscretions finally see the light of day.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I know Im belaboring this...but I just finished 30 Years a Watchtower Slave by William Schnell. In it he tells of many many times the Society deliberately antagonized situations so that they could step in and be the martyrs! They would then cash in on the sympathy this brought by selling more and more literature! Then they would go cause another riot in another area by holding outside preaching against city ordinances, or preaching door to door where they were forbidden to do so...quite on purpose. Then they would scream religious persecution and the city fathers would back down. They definitely built this organization on lies, deceit, hatred and greed. Every time they got money from someone who bought their literature they considered it as stealing from their enemies. Their enemies being people all other religions. They did this too internally, constantly sifting their members to cull out those who were not TOTALLY organization minded. The result was an army of dead head followers from all walks of life..and they in turn were turned against each other developing a constant network of spies and counter spies to keep anybody who was the least bit contra-organization OUT. The judge was a master manipulator.

• manicmama
    manicmama

Next time a JW comes to the door and asks if they can come in to talk with you, tell them that they must first bring you a shrubbery. That should get them pretty good.

My favorite line---- Come back, 'tis only a flesh wound!

manicmama

• heathen
    heathen

Oh I agree that the python movies are the funniest ever made .My favorite is Life of Brian . The WT to me is more llke the old man at the bridge and answer these 3 quetions correctly or be thrown into the gorge.lol I do love that part of the peasants arguing with king arthur lol

• heathen
    heathen

PS; Is this site run by the peoples front of judea or the judean peoples front? lol

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

"Always look on the bright side of life!" (Great now I am going to be humming that all day) LOL

Take Care

Dragon

• Robdar
    Robdar

http://members.tripod.com/~LordFrog/songs.htm#Brian

Bright Side of Life

Sung By Eric Idle

Some things in life are bad,
    They can really make you mad,
    Other things just make you swear and curse,

When you're chewing your life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle,
    And this'll help things turn out for the best,
    And.....
    Always look on the bright side of life.
    [whistling]
    Always look on the light side of life.
    [whistling]
    If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
    When you're feeling in the dumps,
    Don't be silly chumps.
    Just purse your lips and whistle. That's the thing.
    And...
    [whistling]
    Always look on the right side of life,
    [whistling]
    For life is quite absurd
    And death's the final word.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.
    Forget about your sin.
    Give the audience a grin.
    Enjoy it. It's your last chance, anyhow.
    So,...
    Always look on the bright side of death,
    [whistling]
    Just before you draw your terminal breath.
    [whistling]
    Life's a piece of shit,
    When you look at it.
    Life's a laugh and death's a joke. It's true.
    You'll see it's all a show.
    Keep 'em laughing as you go.
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
    And...
    [whistling]
    Always look on the right side of life.
    [whistling]
    Always look on the bright side of life!
    [whistling]
    [whistling]
    [whistling]
    [whistling]
    [whistling]
    [whistling]
    [whistling]
    [whistling]

Edited by - robdar on 9 October 2002 16:38:49

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

"I'm not quite dead yet, I'm feeling much better now"

"Bring me a shrubbery"

Monty Python Rocks!!

XW- of the "I Don't Like Spam" Class

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

In the Monty Python Spirit --- You might enjoy this...

The Dead Generation

A humourous look at the "New Light"

JWMan 1: "Hello. I've got a complaint."

Governing Body Member (GBM): "What is it?"

JW: "This Generation you sold me is dead."

GBM: "No it isn't"

JW: "Yes it is, look at it! It ain't even moving since the "August KM"

GBM: "Its not dead, its just been readjusted."

JW: "READJUSTED!! Its not readjusted, its bloody dead."

GBM: "You're just not looking at right."

JW: "How am I supposed to look at it??"

GBM: "Have you tried squinting?"

JW: "Shall I hang upside down, too?"

GBM: "Oh, no,no,no...blood will rush to your brain and you might be tempted to use it. Try looking at it sideways."

JW: "Nope, its still dead."

GBM: "Have you tried shaking it?"

JW: "Look man, I have tried shaking, squinting, staring, blinking, and jumping up-and-bloody-down and its still dead."

GBM: "It might be pining for the new system."

JW: "Pining for the new system? Look it would have fallen down long ago if you hadn't nailed it up!"

GBM: "Maybe its just resting"

JW: "Its not resting. Its dead, passed on, ceased to be, gone to meet its maker, passed over, this is an ex-generation!"

GBM: "You tried squinting?"

JW: "Yes, and its still dead. I would like a new doctrine please."

GBM: "Very well, I have "All Churches Suck" very popular."

JW: "Does it give a time frame for the end?"

GBM: "No...no...no it doesn't"

JW: "Well then its not a suitable replacement then is it?"

GBM: "I don't have any more time...."

JW: "You got plenty since you killed the generation"

GBM: "I am very busy in the Kingdom work. The only thing I can offer you is vague promises subject to abitrary change."

JW: "That's it is it?"

GBM: "Well I'll throw in a general feeling of self-righteousness with a side of arrogance and some denial."

JW: "That will have to do, make sure you put it in a pretty colored wrapper so I'll feel like I have something."

GBM: "Putting nothing in a pretty wrapper is our specialty."

(Monty Python rights acknowledged)

Enjoy,

RandyW

** sorry about the links simon...* cut and pasted from an email and didn't see them...I removed them.

Edited by - rwagoner on 9 October 2002 18:11:28

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit