Who Really Has The Truth(tm) Anyway?

by SpannerintheWorks 36 Replies latest jw friends

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Talk to any JW and they are convinced that not only do they posses The Truth, but it is the only Truth and nothing but the Truth. Talk to Born-again Christians and they are convinced that God hears their prayers, they've got it right and JW's are wrong for not believing in the Trinity. Then we have the Mormons. Joseph Smith was given the "Truth" by the Holy Ghost and they have a monopoly over the real Truth.

Then, of course, their are the atheists who don't believe in the existence of God at all.

All of them are convinced that they are right, and that they are the only ones who are right.

But they can't all be right, can they? In fact, logic dictates that only one can posses the real "Truth".

The "Truth" may be that God doesn't exist at all. On the other hand, He may be alive and well and only the Born-agains are doing it right!

Any thoughts?

Spanner

• freedom96
    freedom96

My understanding of the bible is that Jesus made it possible for us to have what is in store for us after we die. He flat out says that the only way is through him.

From what I hear from non extreme type religions, is that is all that is required. I imagine a person could have different religions, different viewpoints etc, but it all comes down to belief and accepting Jesus as our savior. I know that sounds different, and sure feels different to even say it.

So, perhaps there is no religion that has "The Truth."

Then again, if one does not believe the bible at all, or in a God, then it really doesn't matter. Me personally, I would rather error on the side of caution. I have no reason not to believe the bible, and that everything comes through Christ. Don't think I want to know the option if I am wrong.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The only constant in the universe is the bureaucratic frame of mind.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

That's my Ten Cents.... my two cents are free.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

The real truth?

The real truth is reaching enlightenment on a spiritual level. This is when an individual becomes at one with the unity and purpose of their soul, thus freeing them from the confines of religious dogma.

In this sense, it is true: "You will know the truth and the truth will set you free".

Love and Light,

Sentinel

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Hi, Freedom96.

You said:

Me personally, I would rather error on the side of caution
    a vicar once told me a story that is similar to your thoughts above. Maybe others have heard it. It's called "Pierre's Wager". Pierre bet his friend 10,000 francs that there is, in fact, a life after death...he couldn't lose, could he?
  • gumby
    gumby

Hey Spanner,

You will never know that answer the way I see it.

' Truth' is only in the minds of those who percieve they have found it.

That is sad for us but true. We would like to have all the correct answers to our questions in life. To search for this can bring confusion....or, you can find what makes sense to you and go with it.

For me....that's not good enough. I can't be 'content' to believe something because it makes me feel good or it makes some sense.....if I know it could be wrong.

The problem this brings is......if someone put us here.....where is our direction. Who did and why?( the Bible doesn't cut it for me)

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Spanner... I think the Truth is that "Religion is a snare and a racket". Maybe we as mere mortal humans are put here on earth to live up to our human qualities to the best of the abilitities we have as human beings. To use our qualities, our talents, our gifts of life in harmony with the earth and the rest of the human race. Maybe this is the truth taught by Jesus Christ. The concept of human kindness and compassion for other humans, the animal creation, and the earth. Maybe we have come into this world with a "sacred contract" from the source of life to live our lives while here on earth in harmony and respect for ourselves and all in and on the earth. Maybe there are evil forces that try to confound that concept. I just don't know. I do not believe any man has the monopoly on "Truth". For if that were the case the world would not be in the state it is in because of humans conflicting over differences of religious belief and expectations of what truth is for themselves and others. I think, though, without the doctrine and dogma of religion, the simple concepts that were taught by Christ were the greatest lesson we humans can learn from. The concept of doing the best we can toward ourselves and others, live our lives to glorify the beauty of creation, as best we can, and hope that when we expire we can feel that our human condition on this earth was ok with the Source of it all.

• gumby
    gumby

Sentinel...The real truth is reaching enlightenment on a spiritual level.

I have a question for you on this

If you were to write down what you have been enlightened on.....what would you write? What have you learned? What are the answers to life you have found? Is there any proof to show others that are very convincing?

You said: This is when an individual becomes at one with the unity and purpose of their soul.............please explain this one

I am NOT being sarcastic here. I have never had anyone explain their self on this one. E-mail me if you don't wish to discuss it here.....thanks

Edited by - Gumby on 9 October 2002 14:5:7

• happy man
    happy man

This is a intresting topic, we was reading in our Wt studie last sunday, that we can not tell who shall live, we are not the judges, (perhaps some nice guy writh this )

To be honest i dont reckognice the oppinon from severla here, that we say only we shall live, perhaps it is a littel diffrense from Us and europe in this, or who it is told by our elders, seems to mee you have some very nasty elders in US cong.

If new born Ch have the truth we must have a unbelevebel lord, who try to fire upp peopel who dont want to bee Bor again C, and send the rest to walk on streets i heaven.

I have never understand these peopel who are very angry on JW saying we are cruel when we say jehova will fix things in harmaggedon, when they themselfs think the lord will burn peopel fore ever. littel to much dubbel talk fore mee, or hypocrasy.

Myself I have always think jesus and jehova is loving and will do evrything to the best, use to argu widh several Co about this , perhaps not so easy this times, i think some want to do us to a new jones sekt, obey , and obey, to evrything. I dont think so many jW love this .

All this is hope, we dont now anything fore sure, do we?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit