CoC on Hold for Me

by out4good3 21 Replies latest jw friends

• out4good3
    out4good3

got a copy of Crisis of Conscious 2nd ed. on hold for me at a library. Will most likely be picking it up tommorrow after I get off from work. I probably won't have time to read the whole book so what I'm looking for from the gang here is maybe a short list of the really meaty areas of the book. Or, is the read that good where i'll want to keep it for a couple of more weeks.

Barring a visit from the sock puppet's angel of death, what I want to see for myself is is this book the blockbuster everyone says it is.....

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Enjoy it. I did.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

No JW can read Crisis of Conscience and stay in the Watch Tower, at least not with an honest face.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Out4good3, it will capture your heart and mind.I recommend you start from its opening page and you will not be able to put it down.It will give you a whole new outlook on what goes on behind closed doors that effect the lives of millions of people,and for many it has had a liberating effect and at the same time a deep penetrating inciting effect. Blueblades

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello Out4good3

You are in for a good read. Depending on where you are in you exit process it may be the most enfluencial book you will ever read. As an Xbethelite I from the 60's and 70's I can say, of the matters covered of which I have personal knowledge they are understated by Ray in his book. Many become so ingrossed they finish it in a few days. I suggest going slow and even taking notes. You will want to remember a lot.

The second book is even better but for different reasons. Enjoy yourself.

Jst2lawws

• Mary
    Mary

The whole book is written in a completely honest way - hardly the "apostate" "hateful" evil slave" that the rest of the GB like to portray Ray Franz as.

For me, the really incredible parts is what Fred Franz' reaction is when Ray tries showing him that the 607 BCE date was pure bullshit (not that those were the words Ray used). Instead of correcting this error, Freddie just freaked and goes "are you telling me we have to go back to the drawing board?!!!" Realizing that the cancellation of 607 BCE would make the whole organization fall like a house of cards, there was the withdrawl of "independent readings of the bible" without the WT publications, because more and more at Bethel were coming to different conclusions regarding several doctrines of the Society. Then the witch hunt stepped up and the rest was history.

The part that really bothered me was when they took a vote on whether the brothers in Malawi would be allowed to carry those "party" cards. They went with a 2/3rd majority vote (guess that praying about the matter and reading the bible never entered their minds). At one point, they voted to let the brothers carry the cards, which would have ended any persecution. Then, one stupid brother (can't remember which one), decided to change his mind. He voted against the idea. His was the deciding factor. With that one vote, the rule went forth that the brothers in Malawi could NOT carry these cards. We all know what the result was. Thousands were tortured, raped and murdered, all because of one stinking vote in Brooklyn.

Althoug Ray Franz was portrayed as a Judas, and all the rumours went out that he was disfellowshipped for apostacy, nothing could be further from the truth. They were dying to get him on ANYTHING because they knew what damage he could do, so they ended up DF'ing him for having a meal with his boss, who was either DF'd or DA'd.

Incredible book. Every Witness should read it.

• 4christ
    4christ

i was going to say make sure you read the part about Malawai...... but Mary beat me to it! 
  • stichione
    stichione

Wait till you get to the chapters where Raymond Franz is retroactively df'd for having a meal with a da'd person who happens to be his employers and landlord. He was in the sights of the WTS and wanted him out of the Borg at all costs.

• els
    els

I'm about halfway through with it. I would have to say, plan on keeping it till you're done. I have been out for a long time and didn't really believe alot of things despite being raised in it. But reading this book has me totally stunned. The callous, uncaring attitudes of these men who are supposed to be guided by God's spirit make me sick. I have found out so many things that I never had a clue about. I won'tsay more because I don't want to ruin it for you. els

• myself
    myself

I learned alot from it and am thinking of ordering the 4th edition which includes the UN issue from what I have heard. When I have the 4th I will probably leave my other edition at a shop where I always see copies of the Watchtower and Awake magazines along with other literature from other religious denominations.

Myself

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit