Shall I go to the meeting? Would you?

by KateWild 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

NO, I would not go back for the sake of those seeking reinstatement. If I cannot get TTATT to them outside the Kingdom Hall, I can't see how going to the Kingdom Hall would make a difference. There, they will be shunned and I would either sit with them and be shunned or sit elsewhere and have to join in on the shunning of them.

FORGET IT!

Edited to add:

And letting anyone know, "I'm just here to support 'Suzy.'" will just hurt 'Suzy' on her reinstatement. She's hanging out with the likes of you, someone who is not regular and not intending to be regular. If 'Suzy' wants to be reinstated, she can't be your friend inside the Kingdom Hall.

• Heaven
    Heaven
    Kate said: I am really looking for feedback. I know my daughter won't want me to go. But I would love gossip to get back to my ex I am back at meetings for a laugh lol

Kate xx

There are so many other more positive, creative, and joyful things to do than this.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2
    Have your friend meet in a nuetral place first. It is best to reconnect in a restaraunt or such and see how you feel and she feels before you make a decision. Good luck Kate. Take care of your mental health first.
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Kate Wild.

Sometimes I go to a meeting. I go to see what is happening and to see if I have made a mistake in refusing this religion in the past. I can't explain it very well, it's just a sort of 'compulsion' sometimes. I even kid myself that I believe it all..........until the meeting starts that is. And then some terrible twisting of scripture happens or is not even used to substantiate some claim. This happens quite a lot nowadays.

Then there are the boast fests. These have become truly amazing spectacles of sheer arrogance and self righteousness. And then there is the blatant money grabbing that happens at every meeting. It's so materialistic compared to when I was young. Or perhaps I did not notice it.

I suppose you may still have a lingering niggle of doubt and going with a friend may be one way of allaying that doubt. I'm guessing, that's all. I may be completely wrong Kate.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Hi Kate,

A lot of great information........ however 'under the radar' presented every argument I was going to lay out........ only better.........including your Ex using your visit to belittle you with your kids.

At this point you have an opportunity to help your friend understand the difference between her and your life now. That having gone through being DF and trying to get reinstated you learned that life offers a great deal more then the JW death cult does.

You might even tell her that because of your posts about your DF and Reinstatement experiences you have positively affected the lives of hundreds if not thousands of ex or fading witnesses by reaching out on this forum........ Including those who are close to mental breakdowns and even suicide. I know we all try to do that but you have a great ability to connect.

Your friend needs to see you as a counter balance to the JW's and their unloving shunning policies and propensity for conditional love and conditional friendships.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Your relationship with your daughter is still tender. She was blaming you for taking her to kingdom halls, right?. I think that your relationship with her is more critically important than you sitting with friend and rehashing stupidity after the meeting. Support her by letting her rehash and when there is a good reason, ask a question to make HER think. Her telling you what they teach will underline the inanity of it all better than you could with a whole speech.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Kate,

You are one of the most beloved posters on this site. I'm saying this because what I'm about to say might sting a bit. My amateur psychological evaluation, and that is all that it is, is that your 'reasons' for going back to the KH have nothing to do with this sister. Nothing.

We've all read your emotional struggles to find justice with the KH and its elders for the unjust way you were treated. Most of us have been there, and we deeply care, understand and feel your pain.

I believe that is the sole reason you are considering going back to the KH. And I believe by asking you are trying to get us to talk you out of it. The more we rationalize the less rational we are.

So to answer the question you posed: No, not in 1 billion years would I ever return to a KH given the scenario you described.
    Good luck Dear Kate.

Hi Kate, I have never posted to/with you before so I wouldn't presume to post what those who know you would. I'll just agree with them!😃

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    KATE- Of course it's totally your decision to make-none of us can make that decision for you- however since you asked - I truly believe that many ex-JW's , some on this board even- may underestimate the POWER of cult mind control. If a person decides to sit in the atmosphere of hearing the catch phrases, the WT doctrines, and mind manipulation information coming off the platform- THAT is what can happen- mind control, mind manipulation and possibly re-indoctrination. It's not just a mind control thing ; it's a physiological change that occurs inside a persons brain neurotransmitters when this information comes into our minds. Our nerve or neurotransmitters over many years of JW indoctrination made familiar or common pathways through our mind that became WAY too familiar ( one reason it's hard for JW's to look at ANY other viewpoints their brains are blazed or branded with this neurotransmitter thought process

Wow - shows just how like an addiction religon really is.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

You know full well the "nature of the beast" by now. So if you want to go go, if you don't then don't.

You don't need a consensus to do this or not do this. Do what you want, which what I suspect is to go.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Dear Sam,

You worked so hard to stand on your own after leaving that it makes me sad to hear that you're thinking of going back, even for one meeting.

If you go with a DF'd friend, it seems that you are supporting and promoting the borg as the right place to be.

Please ask yourself why you are really thinking of going because it sounds like the friend is an excuse. Ask yourself what positive outcome there might be? I see nothing but negative reactions from your daughter and son, and your mean-spirited ex, and as someone pointed out you'll be used as an example of how miserable ones are that leave--they can't be happy and have to return.

Not something to be done on a lark, methinks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit