Ye of Little Faith

by Zechariah 18 Replies latest jw friends

• abbagail
    abbagail

Thanks, Zech/Marv, for the scriptures and the "positive" energy.

Grits

• Mary
    Mary

This debate has gone on from the beginning of time: some people believe in God, some don't. You can't really "prove" there's a God, unless He actually opened up the heavens and spoke to us direct. It takes faith. Same thing with athiests. You can't "prove" there isn't a god. It takes faith.

Everyone has to find there own way. Although I do find it interesting that surveys generally show that people who attend church and believe in God, tend to live longer and be happier people. Is it all in the mind? Who knows. I for one, do believe in God, but not the way the Society explains him. God's not quite as unforgiving as them.

• COMF
    COMF
    Same thing with athiests. You can't "prove" there isn't a god.

Your thoughts are well expressed, Mary. The point I made is simply that atheists, in general don't care whether or not you can prove or disprove the existence of God. It's the fantasy-sword-wielding Christians who are constantly bringing this up (witness this thread). If no Christian ever brought this subject up, I would never talk about it, because I don't proselytize my beliefs. I just hold them.

Ask me what I believe, and I'll tell you. Don't ask, and I won't. Misrepresent me; tell lies about me, and I'll set the record straight. That's all.

• Valis
    Valis
    Although I do find it interesting that surveys generally show that people who attend church and believe in God, tend to live longer and be happier people.

Please do show me what surveys show that is generally true...when is the last time they surveyed even a good portion of the 6 million JWs? Please try again or come w/substantive proof of your claim next time.

Also, is this inclusive of all religions or only the one almighty version? I really want to see evidence of that either way!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Sans A Diety" class

Edited by - Valis on 6 October 2002 19:46:25

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Mary said:

I for one, do believe in God, but not the way the Society explains him. God's not quite as unforgiving as them.

Me too.

My God, my Lord, my Savior, my Redeemer, my Mediator, my King, my Master is Jesus Christ.

By the way, if Zechariah, or anyone else is interested in finding out more about Fred Price, check out this Website: http://www.letusreason.org/Wf27.htm (I really LOVE the LetUsReason.org Website, they have a great JW Section!)

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Ok, I'm ready to believe. So how do I decide what I'm ready to believe? How do I know what I believe is what I'm suppose to believe? Do I believe what I believe, or what I don't believe but should believe? Or should I believe what you say you believe, but you don't really believe it because you just choose to believe it?

pseudo

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Name one war that didn't involve religion or some sort of God or faith.

There probably isn't one. So, that means what to you? That there is no God?

What it means to me is the whole world is still engulfed in total apostacy, emphatically including the WTBTS.

When it comes down to it, the game is one on one...not what man made religious club someone belongs to.

I believe faith in God comes from God. Faith is not man made, it is God made and given to man.

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

Personally...I'm tired of "waiting on Jehovah". 2000 years he's made no attempt to give any evidence he exists. All he'd have to do is send an angel to CNN to do something so noone could deny his existance.

That will never happen because the world would stop. I'm tending to make science and technology my god...at least they actually do something.

TT

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Zechariah said:

May God open your eyes so you can see there is more with us than there is with them. (angelic hoards).

pomegranate said:

One cannot have faith unless God gives it out.
    It's interesting that both these apologists berate people for refusing to believe in anything without good reason, yet say that God is responsible for whether people believe or not. If God wanted me to believe, then apparently he would "open my eyes" and give me faith. The fact that he has not done so suggests that either he wants me not to believe (and who am I to argue with the Almighty?) or that he doesn't exist. Either way, I'm quite happy to align myself with Thomas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit