Do you accept anger from others?

by kenpodragon 21 Replies latest jw friends

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

I would say that I get up each morning in a pretty good mood. I get ready for work, drive there and then go about my business. Apparently though, not all of my employees have the same morning. This afternoon one of my staff members walked into my office and was all upset, she started complaining about this and that and giving all the details as to why she was so upset. It seemed like it took forever for her to get all the details out, and at the end she comes to this question. "What do you think?" or "Do you agree with how I handled this?" When she did this, I got the oddest image. It was of her holding this "ball full of anger", and she wanted to hand it off to me and others. Ever feel this way at times? Like people are so unhappy with someone or something, that the only way they will feel comfortable enough with it is to give the ball of anger off to another person. What I have noticed in my office, is that I can tell who ever accepted it, from who did like me and ignored it and let her keep it. The ones that accepted it, seem to take on the traits of anger that the person who tossed it to them had. They then add to it, and pass it on to other people with even more anger and frustrations. I even see e-mails at times, where people have such a heavy ball that they write me long wordy letters telling me how bad something is or how angry they are at someone. They mention all the details of what they had happen, why they felt wronged and even mention what they would like to do to get the person or persons back. So when this happens, what do you do? Do you take the ball from them and accept it? or do you bounce it away and go on with your day, knowing that such a thing is not worth holding? I guess I ask this, as I kind of do the latter. I tend to just have a great day, and that is all I accept. When people come to me and tell me about all their anger and frustration. I do not respond or add on to it. In fact I will say, "Oh really, did you hear about what my wife is doing in the babies room" and go off on something positive. It is my way of reflecting it away and showing that my mind is not going to accept the negative thought they wanted to plant. In most cases, it just tends to quiet them down fast. Because people want to give you the anger to make them feel like others are having a bad day too, when you bounce it away. Well they get real annoyed. In my time on forums, I have noticed the affect of "balls of anger" running through threads. I have seen them tossed around and played with and made larger. I have even seen thoughts that were just a expression of hate, that people grab hold of and ran with the ball. In all, I think I always try to present my friends with a ball of love. I think I feel better passing happiness around and getting people to think about things that bring them happiness. Not saying that there is not moments when anger might come into play, but why accept the anger of others, when there is so many things we have to deal with on our own without adding theirs. Now I am not offering this as some odd council, but rather as a "long winded question." Do you ever notice how often people can turn a good mood into a bad mood, just by them passing a ball of anger to you, that you to easily accepted? If so, why do you accept these and have you ever realized it did that to you? Added later : I would like to add that I would never ignore a friend who needs to talk. Venting though to recruit others into your anger or side, is more what I am refering to here. Before I left for the weekend, I did not want my last post to make me sound like I was a person who did not care. Just wondering

Edited by - kenpodragon on 5 October 2002 3:33:17

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Kenpo,

I like the imagery of the ball of fire being tossed around. It is a great description! When I run into these fire people, I try to see them as simply needing to vent. They tend to be calmed when someone validates what they are expressing. In some instances, I see no harm in agreeing with the angry person when they have something to be angry about. I try to help them keep perspective.

I've seen people who have the capacity to simply walk into a room w/o a word and they bring 'electricity' into the room. They don't verbalize necessarily. they just seem to look angry and slam things around. I prefer the verbal angry personality. They are easier to cope with for me. I let them vent, so to speak and get to the heart of their frustration. Then validation comes in the form of understanding from me and the person seems to let go quickly. Now, the silent angry one, is the one to watch out for!

I view anger as an emotion that stems from hurt or fear. I try my best not to grab onto that ball of fire. I try to be the firewoman and extinguish it. Once in a while though, they get me! Catch>>>>>! lol

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

<Dodging the ball>

I have noticed that some vent and some teach. Meaning I have seen people vent, have me help and walk away feeling fine. Then some vent, I listen or add feedback, and they teach me at that point that their anger is better. That is the risk, is the person venting or teaching? Never know sometimes until it is to late.

My thought

Dragon

• DJ
    DJ

OH, the teachers..........yea, I have a sister like that. Her anger is superior! I let her think it. I haven't a clue most of the time what her actual point is. Sometimes I get the strong feeling that she simply needs to be validated that her life is the worst and her husband is the meanest and her job is the toughest and her kids are the.....well, smartest and her life is the busiest.........ok, you get the point. I sympathize with this sister and she's feel better but she is a tough one! I have to bite my tongue not to kill her. lol The teachers need to teach you why the have the friggin right to be THE angriest. Don't ya love it? I call this one the 'victim' syndrome.

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

Hi Kenpodragon,

If you were really pissed about something and vented to an acqaintance, would you consider it as handing over your "ball of anger"?

For me, it would depend on whether or not the one "venting" is trying to get the listener to "take sides" on an issue they have with someone else with the intent of getting the listener to hate the one they are having an issue with, or just simply venting "to let off some steam".

The person doing the listening can ultimately decide if this "ball of anger", as you put it, gets handed over. If he/she gets involved in any way with the issue at hand beyond just simply listening, then I guess the "ball" does get handed over.

Jrig

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

It's like I said above, are they venting or teaching? My employee today, was teaching. When I am "pissed" I tend to calm my own thoughts first before I accidentally pass on my anger to others. Just my way of handling things, to not let to much emotion take over my thinking in rough moments. Basically, I try to keep my "core thinking" solid in good times and bad.

My thought

Dragon

• onacruse
    onacruse

I can really relate to this. As a construction superintendent, I am daily coordinating dozens of trades-people, all of whom come to the jobsite in various frames of mind. Most are just there ready to do their job. That's the simple part...I tell them what they need to do next, and work out a few details. Others come there with various personal problems weighing on them. That's the personal part...I need to listen for a while as they unload, sympathize as best I can, and then they too clear their minds and get on with business.

The hardest part is dealing with those that are just plain pissed off...pissed that they're not making enough money, pissed that some other sub is in their way, pissed that the schedule changed by one day...just pissed and determined to stay that way for the whole day. Then I have to "harden my heart" as it were, and leave them with their own anger. I refuse to take it from them. Unloading is one thing, torturing is another. I've had to (reluctantly) use my authority to shut them down, for the sake of the morale of everybody else on the jobsite. But their ball of anger is theirs, not mine, not somebody else's.....period.

Craig

• DJ
    DJ

Kenpo,

I'm glad that you are so considerate to try to get yourself in check before inflicting yourself on others. It is an admirable quality. My husband is naturally like that. Me, I work at it. Hormones, you know. I also am of the mindset that the way we were raised has something to do with it. Not always though. By the way, Ken......CONGRATULATIONS!!....a baby....you will probably find yourself in tears of joy!!!

p.s. remember the anger check when the wife is whining about her day with the 2 yr.old. LOL I enjoyed chatting but I have to hit the sack. It's late on the east coast. G'night!

p.s.s. do you have any idea what p.s. stands for?

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon
    p.s.s. do you have any idea what p.s. stands for?

P.S. = Post Script

Right now the child is easy ... still in my wife!

I just live by "quick to think, slow to anger"

Good night, dream well

Dragon

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Just a added thought ...

When someone is angry or hurt. Does it benefit them to build their anger and stand by their side yelling with them, or would it make more sense to help rebuild their happiness?

I just wanted to add that, I as I know sometimes as a friend you do need to be someone who listens to venting. I just wonder, what benefit comes from accepting that anger and running with them on it. One of my best friends always has the greatest phrase when people vent to long.

"Don't let it eat you up!"

I like that, because if we feed the "ball of anger" it will grow so large that it takes over our entire personality.

My added thought

Dragon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit