scams scams and more scams

by zev 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Kristen
    Kristen

... and it seemed to be that after the USA went to the "donation arrangement", that asking for a specific amount for the mags (it was like 25 cents at the time for each) was no longer the case. Instead, if people wanted to donate, it was up to them on how much "it was worth to them". So therefore, we got many people giving us 2-3 times the amount that we originally asked for. It was easier for them to toss us a dollar to make us go away ... until the next month's pair of mags came out . And of course, this money had to go into a "specially-marked" envelope and passed onto the contribution box, after you already paid for them the first time.

I hated asking for money. And it was also difficult to ask for a donation without feeling like a salesperson. I miss field service the least. And I always had stacks of leftover non-placements ... now I know why.

Kristen

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Kristen ,
    the magazine thing makes you think 20,+ million copies aweek...then seeling them again when there bound *S*
    ALL TAX FREE..........where is the IRS

why isnt there only ONE magazine.....and then just a study brochure for the watchtower.........wouldnt this save TREES!

I know what a silly thought...........and why dont they recycle old mags...........I heard they burn well :)

have to try it

• TR
    TR

Kristen,

I hated asking for money. And it was also difficult to ask for a donation without feeling like a salesperson. I miss field service the least. And I always had stacks of leftover non-placements ... now I know why.

You and me both!

Zev,

Tacoma is where I used to go to conventions. The last one I went to was in '92 or '93, shan't remember. I remember having to buy the parking tickets in advance at the KH. Yep, there's only 5 words for this: scams scams and more scams. You said it well.

• cocolocoii
    cocolocoii

I just call the cow palace in San Francisco and they told me that regularly they charge $ 10,000 per day. They didn't want to tell me how much exactly society pays for it. But imagine if they get a big discount.
    Problably the cow palace doesn't charge them for parking.
    Just imagine 5,000 cars at $ 4.00 equals $20,000 per day or 60,000 per weekend. So if they would it pay what cow palace regularly charge they still would it make $30,000 in profit for each assembly.
    I personally doubt that society pays as regular people does, remember that we clean the cow palace every day. So calculate $30,000 per assembly times 8 assemblies equals $240,000. Plus donation that the regular witnesses put in the "donation boxes".
    Round Business.

• mommy
    mommy

OK,
    I have seen alot of info on the $ thing. Randy has some great stuff on his site. But my question remains...Where is the money going?
    wendy

• Xandit
    Xandit

Just one comment on the charges for using Assembly Halls. These buildings are in no way "free," you can't imaging how much it costs to keep one of the things running. Just thing about air conditioning costs in the warmer areas of the country. I've seen detailed costings on the running expenses and all that gets charged is a prorated amount for the number of days the building is used, there is a certain amount for future major overhauls, repairs, etc. but that's about it. No real profit built in.

The parking thing doesn't sound right but I'd like some more detail on the whole thing.

• cocolocoii
    cocolocoii

I have the same question
    Where the money goes?
    Hard to answer with out speculated

• conflicted
    conflicted

I learned how to read as a witness child.
    I learned how to comprehend and understand what I read as a witness child.
    I learned how to edit what I read to grasp the full understanding of the written word as a witness child.

When I read the statement "Voluntary Contribution" or "Donation" I understand that it is truely voluntary - I have never dropped a single dime into one of those boxes - I never paid for anything that was labled "voluntary" - I chose not to volunteer my money to their cause.

Thanks WTS, lesson well learned. :)

• somebody
    somebody

Xandit,

These buildings are in no way "free," you can't imaging how much it costs to keep one of the things running.

If I remember correctly, you are an active JW. You siad you have seen the expenses for running the assembly halls. That STILL doesn't answer zev's question as to why the cost of the assemblies have gone way up AFTER there was no more food. The cost should have gone DOWN, not WAY UP.

Here are a few questions you might want to answer too: ( these questions can be answered in regards to kingdom halls too. Not just assembly halls.

1 Who buys the land (if it wasn't an outright gift to the society, from a r&f member)

2 Who borrows money from who for mortgages on new Kingdom Halls?

3 Who physically builds the halls?

4 Who pays for maintainence of the building?

5 Once the building is paid for, who owns it?

6 Who's name is on the deed to all the land and halls?

If you're in a high place, can you answer the questions?

peace,
    somebody

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Coco,

your just talking one venue

sit down and figure this out

For Immediate Release
    October 24, 2000

Nearly 1.5 million attend 'Doers of God's Word' district conventions in United States

This year, nearly 1.5 million attended 191 district conventions of Jehovah's Witnesses in the United States. The three-day conventions ran from May 19 to September 10, 2000, and were held in 73 cities across the United States.

The conventions include Bible lectures, interviews, skits, prayer, dramatization of Bible scenes, and singing. The theme of this year's convention, "Doers of God's Word" emphasized the importance of not just knowing what is right but actually doing it as well. It is based on James 1:22, which says: "However, become doers of the word, and not hearers only."

The conventions, which ran from Friday to Sunday and were open to the public, were held in 15 languages, including American Sign Language. Attendance was 1,442,320, and 10,654 new members were baptized.

Jehovah's Witnesses have nearly one million practicing members in the United States and nearly six million worldwide.

I think the money is going here
    http://www.englewoodhospital.com/Pages/insurance.html

to bloodless research.....and to invest in companies that make drugs for bloodless surgery

and also to the annuity fund
    http://www.ins.state.ny.us/cdcha.htm

http://www.planet-hawaii.com/mtp/neigh.htm
    look at this
    http://www.planet-hawaii.com/mtp/tenants.htm

I would say some of the money goes here

please write [email protected] and complain
    they are doing a story on JWS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit