An effective approach to the pediphile problem

by kelsey007 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

I thought the idea was to help the victims. Will silent lambs change WT policy? Could happen. Will JW's still be here in 20 years? Probably. Will or should these efforts diminish the numbers in the WT? I personally think that will not happen, at least long term. And I personally think that it will be the great numbers in the org that could have the greatest ability to change JW policy. I also believe that stopping the growth of the WT is not a good goal. One would hope that truth alone would do that. The victims need support, counseling and legal services. Pediphiles are not just a JW problem by a long shot. What one should do is to lobby that all suspected pediphiles be reported to the police in all states. Then one would have a legal tool with which to force a change in JW policy. The march should be in Washington and the e-mails should be to our congressmen and senators. They have the capacity to force a change. When one marches against the GB we only show support that they are the big bad controllers of god's peopel they claim to be. When we turn to the governments elected officials we demonstrate that we know the GB are just men who can be forced to submit to the laws of Ceasar. What a better, more effective, lasting resolution to the problem.

Edited by - kelsey007 on 27 September 2002 8:29:18

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Jim- the intent is not to do anything more than help the victims and protect innocent people from pedaphiles. Having a vendeta against the org and seeking to destroy or diminsh their numbers is not a good goal. Enough concerned citizens- ex jws and others- can easily get laws that require reporting pediphiles. These laws already exist in several states. That fact alone will make it easier. Once the laws are in place then such organizations as silent lambs can use that law to force jw compliance. The organization will soon comply if they are spending $$$$$ DEFENDING THEMSELVES IN COURTS OF LAW FOR NOT COMPLYING!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

If you really want to solve the JW pedophile problem, then follow the advice of Deep Throat: "Follow the money." If the WTS is hit deep enough in the pocketbook there will be a miraculous "New Light" about this entire situation and changes will come quickly. Look at the Catholic Church. For years they ignored the pedophile priest problem, but lawsuit after lawsuit kept going against them until finally they had to make changes. Look, the Witnesses are no different than any other organized religon. They don't care about people, the individual person. They are only interested in numbers and dollar signs. As cheap as WTS is, if a few lawsuits go against them and they have to actually pay out money (not to mention higher insurance premiums) I guarantee that is when changes will come.

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

And Jim, all I am suggesting is that the best way to change the policy is by not engaging the GB directly- our standing with the org gives our voice no credence and the GB all to well knows that the general public has a short memory span and their assets are much greater than silent lambs- the issue should be force by dealing directly with the government. Make it more than just a JW issue. Force the laws and force the change. If the reporting laws are in place nationally and such orgs as silent lambs share all their info with authorities they WT will soon comply due to the sheer cost of defending themselves against prsecution in courts.

King forced changes through Washington. The founder of Americas Most Wanted TV show lobbied Washington and got changes. If many states DO NOT have these reporting laws the WT can much easier defend themselves against suits. Marching on the Society will not bring a lasting, effective change like bringing our lawmakers into it would.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Kelsey...

I believe Silentlambs has already had a significant impact on WT policy and has concentrated a significant measure of attention to this issue. I also think that they will meet their objectives at some point in the not too distant future.

It is much easier to focus attention and force an organization to change under extreme pressure than it is to change governments in all 50 American states and countries where JW's have a presence. You also have to keep in mind that both lobbying the government and pressuring the Governing body to change are forbidden by JW standards and that both would be unnecessary if they willingly took these sensible steps.

It defies all logic and common sense that they do not make these needed basic changes - if only to stop the bad publicity. I believe they will make these changes but will do so somewhat quietly and to appear that they have made these changes on their own terms.

While laws may change and even JW policies may change, JW culture lives on for generations and what is inherently wrong and harmful will not disappear through legislation.

Path

• Dutchie
    Dutchie
    King forced changes through Washington. The founder of Americas Most Wanted TV show lobbied Washington and got changes. If many states DO NOT have these reporting laws the WT can much easier defend themselves against suits. Marching on the Society will not bring a lasting, effective change like bringing our lawmakers into it would.

Kelsey, before King and other activist took their issues to Washington, they tried to resolve the problems locally. Only when that had no effect, did they go to Washington. Every great cause comes from a smaller one and perhaps one day the Silentlambs will be a national orgazation fighting for the rights of all victims. In the meantime and on a smaller scale, Silentlams is seeking to resolve the issue of pedophiles in the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses with which it is most familiar.

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Another poster in another thread posted: "No matter what problem (if there is a problem, God forbid) in the organization, Jehovah will take care of it in his due time. You cannot convince them otherwise."

Having grown up in the org with 3 generations of my family in I understand the mentality. I knew members of the GB and know that they believe the stuff they sell.

You stated:

"While laws may change and even JW policies may change, JW culture lives on for generations and what is inherently wrong and harmful will not disappear through legislation."

The same is true of racism in the US. But having the tools to force change does help protect the innocent.

As a child and a young adult I witnessed many people picketing the society in NY and at assemblies. During the first part of the JWs were looked down on publicly much more than is true today. The negative attention only emboldened them in thier faith and policies. My father was at a convention in Ohio when riots alsmost broke out due to the hatred of the JW's. Certain picketers even attempted to overturn his car when he and my mother were in it. Such actions only strengthened my families belief in the society as god's organization.

I still personally think that little permanant positive change will come by bringing personal attacks to the GB. Having reporting laws in each jurisdiction would provide a means to being protection to innocents from pediphiles. I thought that was the bottom line issue.

As I stated in other post- if the goal is to bring down the org and smear the jw name- the innocent victims will be lost because the focus is lost.

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Duchie said: Kelsey, before King and other activist took their issues to Washington, they tried to resolve the problems locally. Only when that had no effect, did they go to Washington.

Interesting. Why not take the lesson and run to Washington for a quicker change?

• alamb
    alamb

Let me start by saying I have been following your posts and appreciate your perspective.

In my own case, there is a mandatory reporting law, which the elders claimed to have knowlege of and ;stated matters would be handled. ; Only after statutes ran out, did the truth of the matter come out, no authorities were never ;notified. ; Even if laws are in place, committees behind closed doors with secret pacts have little use for them or respect for authorities beyond their own. ; The perpetrator even admitted to his actions (fulfilling the 2 witness requirement) and justified it also ;but was never placed under any restrictions. Laws have little meaning to the lawless, those engaged in theocratic warfare

What I have seen, though, is the vast diversity in the reasons behind individuals coming forward. ; I have seen many victims looking for closure or validation. I have seen those who have family still active in the JW community who fear for siblings, cousins, friends. I have also heard the familiar voice of the hurt who jump to any cause that vindicates their private agenda/vendetta. There are also the heros who remain in the background but are the letters and phonecalls and the faces in the court rooms who offer support.

Maybe if we act together for the victims there will be an accounting; to the victims, the families, the media, the community, and finally the law.

Edited by - alamb on 27 September 2002 0:45:56

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

I believe the strongest tool of any cause is the law. Change the laws and you have power. A affective movement would involve looking into all states and laws to see what ones need to be addressed, and target those. Nothing irritates me more, then people thinking this is only a problem in the JW religion. It is a mess in all religion. I am not a Witness anymore, so I look outside the organization to help others.

Is there ever enough support for victims of abuse?

My thought

Dragon

Edited by - kenpodragon on 27 September 2002 3:20:26

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit