An effective approach to the pediphile problem

by kelsey007 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Kelsey:

Another aspect is that this march, and others like it, the continuing media coverage, etc. will all bring attention to the problem from concerned citizens and alike groups who *are* voters! I *would* like to see Silentlambs raise a petition for the different states for changes in existing laws in non-reporting states, though.

Country Girl

Kelsey wrote:

And Jim, all I am suggesting is that the best way to change the policy is by not engaging the GB directly- our standing with the org gives our voice no credence and the GB all to well knows that the general public has a short memory span and their assets are much greater than silent lambs- the issue should be force by dealing directly with the government. Make it more than just a JW issue. Force the laws and force the change. If the reporting laws are in place nationally and such orgs as silent lambs share all their info with authorities they WT will soon comply due to the sheer cost of defending themselves against prsecution in courts.

King forced changes through Washington. The founder of Americas Most Wanted TV show lobbied Washington and got changes. If many states DO NOT have these reporting laws the WT can much easier defend themselves against suits. Marching on the Society will not bring a lasting, effective change like bringing our lawmakers into it would.

• amac
    amac

Kelsey, I agree with you. If the concern is for the children, then the priority should first be to ammend the laws to protect all children. I personally live in a state that requires reporting from everyone. If I didn't, I would be writing to whoever I possibly could to get this changed. That would be much more effective than a march that is simply going to bring the public's eye on the WT. Legislation can be used in lawsuits, which is what will make the WT react. The public opinion cannot be used, and as already pointed out, can have the reverse effect on many JWs.

I also agree with Path that changes will only come at the WT discretion and they will be certain to do it in a way to make them appear in control. They will NEVER make obvious changes because of public opinion.

I also agree that legislation will not change JW culture, but it will increase the odds of getting more cases of abuse reported and that's all we can really hope for.

• Valis
    Valis

kelsey...there are advocates for children all over the world, but you miss the point by far in regards our activities that are pointed towards the WTBTS. When some of us march on Bethel or protest in front of a Kingdom hall, or assist in mail outs it really is the best way to get things done. Approaching lawmakers about a problem that is not acknowledged is like trying to call the cops when you see a UFO. Very few have ever stood up and said "hey! these are evil and protect child molesters and hide that fact!!!"...it must be done and I totally disagree with you that they control God's people...all the GB controls is a bunch of delusional nutcases, my family included, that are so needy for spiritual validation that it truly is sickening.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Overbeer- NEVER did I say that I believed that they controled god's people. I said that is what they believe.

By the way my mother has been a JW all her life and she is not a nutcase. I happen to respect her and love in spite of her religion. Your attitude, as expressed in your post, is why I believe that the fight is out of focus and will lose credibility.

Calling someone a nutcase because of thier beliefs is a very jwish sentiment. I know someone who really believes in ufos- I do not call or consider them a "nutcase" simply because I do not share their belief system.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

I am truely surprissed that some Ex-JW hasnt gone into CROOKLYN and started blasting people. Shit, with all the lives they've destroyed, you would think someone would have gone postal by now.

• Valis
    Valis

kelsey I was a JW for a large part of my life and I know exactly what a nutcase is. Myself included..*LOL I think I've been on both sides of the coin and have every right to call people who have chosen to stay in a religion that is full of lies, NUTCASES. I'm sure your mother is very sweet, kind, pleasant and worthy of your respect, but that doesn't change the fatc that she and the other 6 million Jehovah's Witnesses have chosen to blindly follow a bastardized version of Christianity that has lead to the death and ruination of many people. I can't think of any other way to say it. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Bro. Overbeer,

All christianity is bastardized mythology. The god of the OT makes Sadam look very tame. Jesus, a god, born to a woman who never had sex? Died to save all mankind? Raised from the dead? And of course if you are mainstream christian you believe that god is jesus and that god came to earth and man killed him then he reaised himself from the dead. Then of course this loving god will allow wicked man to remain alive forever to be eternally burned in the lake of fire or hell or whatever. I do not know you or your personal beliefs- however, whatever they are they are yours by free choice. And I still will not call you or consider you a nutcase.

• Faraon
    Faraon
    All christianity is bastardized mythology. The god of the OT makes Sadam look very tame. Jesus, a god, born to a woman who never had sex?

She had a child from Jehovah, which. according to Jewish law, makes Jehovah and Mary adulterers!

Jehovah had a child from Mary. She was promised to Joseph. That makes Jehovah an adulterer.

That was not the only case, though. Remember Abraham? Sarah had a child after his visit.

• amac
    amac

Overbeer - your concern then seems to be that what the WT is wrong as opposed to protecting children from wrong. So depending on what you are trying to accomplish is going to determine if it "is the best way to get things done."

Approaching lawmakers about a problem that is not acknowledged is like trying to call the cops when you see a UFO.

This is not the case. The point of approaching lawmakers is to GET them to acknowledge the problem so that laws will change. With all the cases in the news (not just JWs) I do not know why this would be too difficult. The laws basically exclude religous leaders from having to report suspected child abuse and that is wrong. Certain states have acknowledged this and ammended the laws. What is so ineffective about trying to get the other states to follow suit? I think time and money spent doing this would be much more effective than flying to NY and going on a March. Unless of course you are just pissed off and want to yell and scream at the WT and get other people to hate them too.

Besides, only people wearing top hats and feathers are nutcases.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit