Armageddon and Jehovah's Witnesses?

by kenpodragon 16 Replies latest jw friends

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

In the parable of the first and last who "laboured", the first inquired after what they thought was more like their fair share. Jesus explained that the kingdom of heaven simply doesn't work like that - it's got nothing to do with what you deserve.

To deserve something is literally an accusation against others (who then don't). That's what the devil is about - it's dark thinking. The way of the world is the way of earning or "fair share" - jw philosophy is an extension and amplification of that darkness of the way of the world - when it comes to armageddon they fear through an "inability to pay" their way - or for the the full blown dark bizarre, the pride that declares "I can pay".

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 26 September 2002 16:20:21

• nita6368
    nita6368

Ken,

That was an awesome post..I always enjoy reading your writings.

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Ken,

I want to let you know that I too think your thoughts are awesome and enjoy your posts very much.

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Thank you all for your kind words and added insights. There is so much to the exit from the JW past, and I enjoy learning all the different perspectives, and this board is wonderful for that. Ex-jw's are some of the most insightful people I have ever met.

Thumbs up to a better life.

My thought

Dragon

Edited by - kenpodragon on 26 September 2002 16:37:21

• Navigator
    Navigator

Well done Dragon! Another few thousand years and someone will decide that was inspired.

Undercover

I wouldn't take the story of the flood too seriously. The Jews borrowed that one from the Persians. There was a flood, but it was a lot more localized event than the WT would have you believe.

A Paduan

Very interesting thought! You are of course, correct, but I never thought of that before.

Lost Diamond

I agree with you that Armagedon will not resemble what the WT teaches. Regarding a Day of Judgement, A Course In Miracles has bad news and good news. The bad news is that there will be one. The good news is that the verdict is already in. Its NOT GUILTY!

• psalmist
    psalmist

I was never raised in "the Truth", but my mom and sister are both practicing JW's. I escaped the borg, and attended a Lutheran college and was a regular at a Lutheran church for a couple of years. One of the enduring themes of Lutheranism (at least as I understood it at the time - I could be wrong here) is that salvation comes through the grace of God - that it is God's free gift to humanity through Jesus. The idea is that there is NOTHING that we can do to "deserve" salvation (so great is the gift), and that good deeds done on earth are not an effort to win brownie points to get into heaven, but done in gratitude for this gift and a desire to carry on Jesus' work here on earth. Having extensive exposure (but thankfully, not indoctrination) to the beliefs of the Watchtower as a youth, I can't tell you how incredibly refreshing and illuminating I found this view. Truly a theological turn-about.

One of the the most compelling sermons I heard during my brief church going days focused on whether or not we really wanted to get "what we deserved". I had to conclude, and still do, that I want to get much more than I deserve. I think that is true for most of us. How can any of us maintain that we are "deserving" of eternal life? I really like the idea that we don't have to "deserve" it, it's ours as a freely given gift.

• jimbob
    jimbob

This is probably the one subject that both my wife and I have struggled with for years. My wife especially. The organization throughout your whole life makes you feel that you're never doing enough. You should always be reaching out to pioneer, bethel, give more donations, get more hours in, comment more, be at the meetings more..etc (you get the hint) So after years of this, one begins to think that they are never deserving of everlasting life, so why bother trying. You'll never measure up to their standards. My wife has struggled emotionally for years with this, only telling me recently how she felt. Since we quit going to meetings, it's been like a huge weight lifted off our shoulders. We no longer feel like we're terrible people that are going to probably die because we never made the congregation average in field service. I'm so glad we're out now!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit