Armageddon and Jehovah's Witnesses?

by kenpodragon 16 Replies latest jw friends

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Before you read the following. I would like to explain that I in no way hold the Jehovah's Witness beliefs, so please read the complete thought to fully understand my point. I spent so much of my life wondering what would happen if Armageddon came tomorrow, would I make it. I looked at all these people that were elders, Pioneers, and strong Witnesses and figured I did not measure up. I always thought, if I could only spend more time in service, write better talks, perhaps work at Bethel and even donate more money to the society. I would be equal to these people and would make it into the New World we always talked about. When I left the religion, and started to learn about the universe and about how little works really mattered I came to a realization and visualization of what a Armageddon would really be like. I take you into a dream ... The sky grew dark and the smell of death filled the air. Screams of pain could be heard in the distance as the judgment of life approached them. The fire was burning everywhere, and people were running in a complete panic, as they wondered what was happening. I stood there thinking that this must be it, I blew it. Armageddon was here and I was about to die, the Witnesses must have been right and here comes the end I never thought would be possible. The radio station was playing something about weird events world wide, and people dying everywhere and then it went silent and I realized the announcer too at been taken by the wrath of God. I set at the edge of my yard and cried a few tears thinking, why would God be this way? Why would God have had a religion with so much hate represent him? I put my head in my hands and set there wondering when my end would come, and how much pain would it involve. The smell of smoke and burning flesh was everywhere, and it was making me ill. I decided I would at least walk to the Kingdom Hall and see what was happening there. I expected to see people singing and all gloating with a "we told you so attitude." I started to walk down the street and stood across the street from the Kingdom Hall. It seemed quiet enough, with people standing around looking as scared as me. I figure they were worried that some of them would drop dead soon, and I figured they were now questioning every moment they ever had in this life. Suddenly I stood quiet, as I felt them approach. It was as if I felt the energy of something not of this world behind me, and even though they did not breath, there was a breath to their presence. I turned and I saw what looked like shadows, or silhouettes and I thought "well at least at the end I got to see the face of my killers." I hit the ground, not to beg, but to die saying sorry. Suddenly a voice spoke and said, "what are you doing?" It came from the figures. I looked up and said, "I figured you were here to take me out of this world to be destroyed." The figures did not speak for what seemed like a hour, but then they said, "what have you done to deserve to die?" Which caught me off guard, I always wondered my whole like "what have I done to deserve to live" and never once thought about the other question. I stood there silent and caught off guard. I then thought of something, "I have done nothing, I loved everyone including myself and I always wanted to do what was best ... I spent my life helping others from my heart and I never harmed anyone that did not deserve it." .... I paused a minute and spoke again "I loved life, I loved every minute and everyone who spent it with me ... I have no regrets." I felt strong at that moment and figured, if this was the end ... I felt good about me. The figures took a long moment to speak again, "well you found the answer to life then, you need to know why you deserve to live and not think about how much you need to die." Then he paused again, and I noticed more energy creatures were with them. They all spoke loud to me at this point, "could you do us a favor though?" I thought, "well sure" these creatures were letting me live when I thought life was over and the judgment I feared was upon me. I spoke up with a unusual strength for the moment I was in, "what ever you want!" They spoke again, even louder, "could you move, we are trying to take aim." So I stepped down the street and suddenly the Kingdom Hall went up in flames and all the people were all destroyed. The elders who I thought were so holy at one moment in my past, the Pioneers who seemed so righteous in all their works, and all those families that said I was never doing good enough. They were now all gone, nothing but ash and flames where the Kingdom Hall once stood. As I walked home, I did not notice that many other churches were laying in ash as well. I just noticed that I had a smile on my face, for I no longer feared a Armageddon or angels, or even a God. I did not deserve to die!!!! I deserved to live!!! So I went home and felt happy, that I had a tomorrow. I had the right to see myself there, and I had the right to want to be there and I did not have to feel guilt for those feelings. All those who would have told me I was wrong, were now ashes on the street corner ... blowing in the flames and wind of destruction. So I ask all of you, "do you deserve to die, or do you deserve to live?" Which question did you ask yourself today? My thought Dragon

Edited by - kenpodragon on 26 September 2002 15:47:48

• heathen
    heathen

Would you move ,we're trying to take aim? lol

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I have wondered , with all the world events happening as they are, what if the JW's are right? But then logic hits me and I say, if the rest of the world is to die for being imperfect and only JW's will live then there is something wrong with God. That puts my mind at ease for the moment thinking God will be just, if not.......... and that is who he wants then I prefer to die with the non JW's.

I just don't see it happening that way. I mean even in other parts of the land, there are so, so many people. They believe so many things about the Higher Power, or God. Maybe he manifest Himself to others in ways we don't understand. I know it is very probable that the Christain God I think is the so called true God, maybe I am way off. Maybe he is a different being not to be understood by man.

I can't see this Higher Power destroying even most of JW's , now the ones who are evil and are misleading people to their deaths are another story. For true evil there is no excuse of their wicked ways. And I will say most child molesters are pure evil. I think there are alot of Jw's that think they are doing the right thing, and even if they think they are better, they are brainwashed and to be pitied to a certain degree. I don't want to see them burn either. I want mankind to be forgiven , for the things they do out of being imperfect and for being mislead. This means all of mankind, every religion , every belief would be saved. I think for the most part , a large portion of the world is good at heart. There are some of those who are truly evil. But I can guess they will be destoryed ,but I am glad I am not the judge, nor to I wish to be. But by their works they sure fit the description. But for now I want to work on myself and hope that it will be like you said, that we deserve to live. Or maybe not even deserve to live, but out of love given that gift.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Very nicely written. You shared your heart on the matter, and got to the heart of the matter. Thank you for your thoughts.

• undercover
    undercover
    if the rest of the world is to die for being imperfect and only JW's will live then there is something wrong with God.

I have thought about that but then I think about the Flood. Did not God destroy all but 8 people? Surely someone out of all that were destroyed were not as evil as the Nephilim and their cronies? He did it once, why not again?

I am still trying to come to grips with my new found independance and at times I question whether I am right or wrong. I have lots of deprogramming to do yet. That's why I have these flip-flop type of questions. One minute I have the answer, the next I'm confused again.

• buffy
    buffy

Dragon: that was incredible writing. My jaw dropped as I read it. Loved it.

Undercover: I tend to think as you do. One minute I'm sure there's no way a loving God would destroy all "worldly" people. I mean I don't consider myself to be worthy of death. I'm not sitting in prison awaiting execution for any crime. So, I try to think like Lyineyes. If God is the type to kill off all the "worldly" and leave only JW's then, I'll take my chances w/ the "worldly." I like who I am, and as a JW I can't be myself. So, I'll stick w/ those who accept me for who I am and love me for whatever I believe.

Buffy

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I enjoyed this thread Ken. It brought back a memory....

I was probably twenty at the time. I had finally stopped pioneering and gotten a full time job. Shortly after taking this good position, my sister was disfellowshipped. I was very depressed about that. I worried about her.

One early afternoon, the bright summer sun suddenly disappeared, and the whole sky became as dark as night--even darker. Everyone in the office was frightened and "surprisingly" quiet. I was scared out of my mind. I just "knew" that it was the beginning of Armageddon. The lights flickered and went out. The lightening and thunder was loud and sharp. It went on and on.

A few jokingly said "maybe the world's ending"......I didn't think it was funny. I began to sob with my head in my hands at my desk. I kept telling my co-workers that my sister was going to die before she had a chance to "come back". They had no clue what it meant when someone was disfellowshipped. They didn't know what I was talking about. A few tried to comfort me, but how could they? I mean, the End was here, and they were going to die, and I was going to have to watch all of them die. It was too much for me, but I was too afraid to even leave the building. I just sat at my desk in darkness, and sirens began to go off outside. I had images of the building beginning to callapse, and I pictured where I might try to hide myself--perhaps under that larger desk over in the corner. I hated that I was the only JW in the whole building of more than five hundred employees. At least they had each other. I felt like I had no one. I certainly didn't feel special.

Then, as suddenly as the darkness came, the lights came back on, and we could see the sky clearing. It had been a terrible electrical storm. I have never seen one as bad in all the years since. I felt so relieved! So, my thoughts afterwards were, why was I so afraid? If it was truly the beginning of Armageddon, I should be thrilled. I mean, I was special. I had The Truth, right?. I was not relieved. Did that mean that I had a lack of faith? What was wrong with me? I remembered that I had been told by an elder that just because members were baptised did not mean they would "not die accidenally", after all, things happen. That was very disconserting to me, especially because when I first got baptised, I was told that only the baptised members would be saved during the destruction. Was I waivering? Why had the light changed?

This was my real life, living as a JDub. But, I was to remain ever faithful, at least for another ten years....

Sentinel

Edited by - Sentinel on 26 September 2002 15:39:41

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

I don't believe in an Armageddon as we were taught by the WT. I believe human beings create their own Armageddon with the choices they make in life, and their treatment and behavior towards other living beings. I believe this world is a beautiful place, and I can't see the power of the universe, or God, or whatever you want to call it, destroying it.

I believe we are put on Earth to learn a lesson and hopefully help others around us. We all have a purpose and a gift that we learn to develop if we are in touch with ourselves that we can use to better ourselves, and help others in their quest for finding their gift and purpose. If we sit and not strive to become better people, we become stagnant and depressed, without purpose. People become evil with their negative thoughts and ideas...they create their own Hell, their own self-destruction (Armageddon).

I feel that making it a purpose to live healthy, happy, resourceful lives will give us more peace and contentment than we could ever imagine. If we develop a good spirit within us we will be blessed in our life's quest. I believe there is something more in the Universe for us, but we just haven't learned what it is yet.

This is my thought.......

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

LD,

You and I think similarly. I too, believe there is something beautiful waiting for us, that will come by means of our universal creators.

I appreciated your reply.

GMTA

Karen

• freedom96
    freedom96

Well written Kenpo, very entertaining. At the same time, thought provoking. All that time we were led to believe that the Witnesses would be the only ones to survive. As we get older, experience more, we find that we did not have all the answers, still don't, but provided we lead a "good" life, respect others, we should be ok.

Life isn't always the way we thought it would be, nor will be. What a great journey though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit