2 Dead, 3 Missing in Texas Boating Accident

by Funchback 20 Replies latest social current

• Funchback
    Funchback

Questions to consider after reading the article:

Since the JWs claim to adhere strictly to Bible guidelines and they make certain rules or interpretations of the scriptures, should the survivors who were baptized face a Judicial Committee for putting their lives and the lives of others at risk? After all, they got on a boat that basically was being operated illegally (too many passengers and not enough life jackets).

Should the Captain and/or Owner of the boat be DFd for bloodguilt?

Why did the Columnist have to say that they were JWs?

Did you notice that no one took an opportunity to give a "witness" to the reporter?

Any other questions that come up?

By the way, I am not minimizing the tragedy of what occurred. I am sad to read about people dying. I am just posing some of the questions that popped into my head after I read the article.

The article link is here (you may have to register first...it's free): http://www.dallasnews.com/localnews/stories/092402dnmetlake.1205.html

Woman's courageous swim brings help

Search resumes for three missing boaters

09/24/2002

By ROBERT THARP / The Dallas Morning News

Help was a dim flicker of light on the far southeastern shore of Lake Ray Hubbard for Sarah Guzman when 10 members of three panicked families abandoned their sinking boat overnight Sunday.

With just two life jackets among them, the 22-year-old Dallas woman cast aside her fear of the water as the others in the water cried for help, beginning what would be a swim of more than a mile.

"The only thing I could think was 'I need help,' and I began to swim," she said. "I've always been very afraid of the water, but at that moment, I don't know, I became very courageous."

(DALLAS WEB STAFF)
    Swimming through dark choppy water took two hours or more, but authorities say it led to the safe rescue of four of the boaters who were clinging to the two life vests. The bodies of Ms. Guzman's younger sister, 18-year-old Elizabeth Guzman, and Rosa Holguin, 38, of Mesquite were found early Monday. Three were missing and presumed dead.

Elizabeth Guzman's fiance, Josue Castro, 21, was listed as missing, along with Miguel Holguin, 38, and 12-year-old Norma Holguin. Recovery efforts will resume Tuesday morning.

The group had been together on a 16-foot motorboat since about 6 p.m. Sunday on a recreational outing, family and rescue workers said. They launched from John Paul Jones Park on the Garland side of the lake and had been on the water long enough to need to refuel Sunday evening, police said. Investigators also were trying to determine why the group was on the water for so long at night.

At some point, the boat struck a rock or a tree stump, but those inside the craft were not alarmed. But about midnight, the boat started taking on water rapidly. The passengers tried unsuccessfully to bail water and became desperate.

Calls in darkness

Sarah Guzman said she heard many calls for help in the darkness as she started to swim for the shore. She made it to the rocky beach on the southeastern side of the lake about 3:30 a.m., where her calls for help woke Gary Gilliam.

RICHARD MICHAEL PRUITT / DMN Sarah Guzman is accompanied by a Dallas police officer Monday. Ms. Guzman swam more than a mile to summon help.
    Mr. Gilliam grabbed a flashlight, and as he was calling police he found the woman sprawled on the rocks by the shore. "I can't believe she made it across," he said.

Although Ms. Guzman spoke only Spanish, Mr. Gilliam said it quickly became clear that there were others in danger in the water. Irene Alvarez, who works for the Gilliam family, was called to help translate.

"She said she needed help and that nine more people were out there, and they were drowning," Ms. Alvarez said. "She said none of them had life jackets."

Mr. Gilliam used his personal watercraft to begin searching for survivors before rescue teams from Dallas and Rockwall arrived. A game warden in a boat spotted the survivors floating in the water. An 18-year-old woman with a life jacket was holding two boys, ages 6 and 15. A 20-year-old man with a life jacket had separated from the group and was found floating by himself.

None of the dead or missing had flotation devices, and investigators said they are trying to determine why the boat did not have the required number of life jackets. State law requires that children under 13 wear life jackets and that all others on board have one within reach. The boat, which was owned by a family member of one of the missing women, had not been recovered Monday.

Boats 16 feet and longer also must have a flotation device that can be thrown from the craft. Texas Parks and Wildlife Lt. Col. Roy Lawrence said there are no restrictions on the number of people on a boat, so boaters must use common sense.

Elizabeth Guzman
    "Ten people in a 16-foot boat is a large number of people," he said.

Nighttime danger

Boating at night is also more dangerous than in daylight because the darkness can affect depth perception, he said.

Dallas city officials are investigating whether a phone outage in Dallas played a role in the time it took Dallas authorities to respond to the accident. Col. Lawrence said that 911 service had been restored by the time the first emergency call from Mr. Gilliam, but Dallas city officials are investigating reports that it took 20 minutes for a police helicopter to be dispatched to search for the victims. Not all regular phone service had been restored at that time.

RICHARD MICHAEL PRUITT / DMN Pauline Castro (right) is comforted by her sister as they looked out on Lake Ray Hubbard, where Ms. Castro's son was missing on Monday.
    More than 30 grieving relatives gathered near the shore Monday morning as a police helicopter and three boats searched 3 square miles of 40-foot-deep water. Many hugged or put arms around one another and settled in for a long vigil.

The survivors and victims were members of the three families who attended the Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall on Forney Road, relatives said.

By 9 a.m., Mr. Castro's younger brother said he held out little hope that he would be found alive. Rescue workers agreed shortly after noon, when they said they were working only a recovery operation.

RICHARD MICHAEL PRUITT / DMN Angelica Guzman (left) and Gabriela Guzman mourn the loss of Angelica's daughter, Elizabeth.
    Isidro Guzman, whose daughter, Sarah, swam to safety while his other daughter, Elizabeth, did not survive, said he was overwhelmed by the events. Elizabeth was engaged and planned to marry in six months and also hoped to go to college. He also grieved for her boyfriend, Mr. Castro, who was among those missing in the water.

"All the people were my family," he said. "Some are not family, but very close friends, so it's all the same."

Staff writers Richard Abshire and Tanya Eiserer and Kimberly Durnan of the Dallas Web staff contributed to this report.

E-mail [email protected]

• Nikita
    Nikita

What a terrible tradgedy.

I, too, found myself asking the same questions as you did. Maybe the reporter mentioned them because they bill themselves as some of the most honest, hard-working and loving people on earth?

One thing I thought about was the fact there may have been a glitch with regards to the helicopter response time, can you smell a lawsuit against Dallas officials? Forget the fact that if any of them had access to a lifejacket as required by law, they would probably have survived.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Leslie, if a lawsuit comes out from this then THAT would be a tragedy.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

That's a sad story. So many people and so few life jackets. No wonder, it is required by law. This tragedy could have been averted.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Kenneson... Could have been and SHOULD have been. Definitely sad.

• Valis
    Valis
    That's a sad story. So many people and so few life jackets. No wonder, it is required by law. This tragedy could have been averted.

Unfortunately, being total dumbasses is way legal. There were too many people on the boat, the water was almost 4 feet low and they were boating in an area knwon to have water hazards.., it was at night, the weather was windy, they had 10 people on a 16 footer AND not enough life jackets. ...dam do ya think all that adds up to a safe time? It doesn't matter if they were JWs or not...stupid is stupid is stupid ad infinitum...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Swan
    Swan

Wouldn't it have been safer to jump out of an airplane with two people per parachute than have 10 people in a 16 foot boat with 2 life preservers?

What a senseless loss of life.

Tammy (shaking her head sadly)

Edited to correct the number of people and length of boat

Edited by - Swan on 25 September 2002 22:39:58

• Dia
    Dia

I would guess they were counting on Divine protection and their own 'special' relationship with the big guy instead of some silly, petty laws written for 'the little people'.

Why did the article mention the Kingdom Hall and that they were JWs?

I think it's nothing more than because it described something about why they were all there together. What they had in common that brought them together for this event.

I don't think it's anything more than that.

• Quotes
    Quotes

All issues of religion aside, 10 people in a 16 foot boat is unwise, but 10 people with only 2 lifejackets is criminal!

This was a senseless fully preventable tragedy.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

A tragedy, I am sorry when I read such things - no matter what religion the people have. Please don't call them names; they were stupid, no doubt, because theyshould have had life-jackets and they should not have been out at night, and they regretfully have followed in the footsteps of the thousands who if alive would have said that "If we had only known", "If I could get a new chance". There is bloodguilt here on the part of the family heads, for the children. But please don't call them jackasses or whatever has been used - they are dead, and the survivors are in deep mental trouble. Their own fault, yes, but we should try to comfort nonetheless.

I wonder why the reporter gave the religion - is that ususally done? Would it have been stated that "the families were Catholics"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit