I think I landed my dream job, y'all!!!

by LDH 27 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Without even trying!!!!!

OK those of you that know me personally know that I sit on a ton of event committees, usually for non-profits benefitting kids. Yes, it is VERY rewarding but there is no paycheck. This has not been an issue for us. Also, for about three years I've been coordinating weddings and school carnivals and what not.

(That was supposed to earn me money too, LOL, but by the time I finished covering my expenses etc it ended up just being favors for friends. Again, no paycheck wasn't an issue. We're not 'rich' but we are comfortable. And my husband knows better than to ask me to EVER go back to a 9 to 5 desk job, heh heh, so it's a good thing he makes good dough.) And the friends that I've done favors for are highly placed enough in the community that I've got a ton of aces in the hole.

For instance, 2 years ago I coordinated a pancake breakfast for my daughter's school. Prior to that time, the lazy asses who were on the committee had brought in about $400 profit. The year I served, we brought in $3,200. HELLO!!!!!

Well, last week I was called by the Executive Director of a local chapter of a nationally known non-profit and asked to come in and sit for an interview. The position title is Director of Events. (YEAHH)

I was pretty upfront, as they knew me anyway, and I said listen y'all--I've *never* been paid to sit on one of these committees; it's been strictly voluntary. So if y'all are looking for someone who's got experience as a PAID non-profit event planner, I'm not your girl. I gave them a page of references they could contact, but like I said, I was pretty ambivalent about it.

No problem, they said.

I said, Listen y'all, I've got a 12 year old and a tenth month old, as as far as I'm concerned they will always be my first priority. I never had to put the 12 year old in daycare and I really don't wanna put the ten month old in daycare either. I have no family out here, and I'm a full-time mom. Besides, I said, I really need to get back to school and finish my degree.

No problem, they said.

This is an exempt (salaried) position (management). You can work from home if you want. As long as the events are coordinated and properly handled we don't care if we never see you in the office.

WHAT THE #*$(&@ , I said? Are you serious?

No problem, they said.

OK by now I am baffled. All of my excuses for not working (LOL) have gone out the window. And this is a PRIMO position. It really doesn't pay much at all ($35,000 +) but the benefits and perks are out of this world.

To make a long story short, I'm supposed to meet with the Board of Directors on Friday, where they will probably make me a job offer.

*****I just wanted to tell you all, especially you at-home moms, to get your asses out there and serve on committes. Contact a non-profit in your area and volunteer 10 hours a month. You will meet the most amazing people.

Community service is vital to your personal growth after you depart from the JWs. Contrary to what they told you, selling books and magazines is NOT community service.

I will keep you updated. Cross your fingers for me.

Lisa

• Lin
    Lin

Congratulations!!! Fingers crossed for ya!!!!!

• Funchback
    Funchback

Lisa...

Will this job interfere with attaining your Pioneer hours? Will it interfere with your meeting attendance?

Oops! I forgot! You don't have to consider those questions any more!

Congrats, boriqua! LOL!

• butalbee
    butalbee

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo happy for ya, Lisa. Congrats to you!!! And I've got both my fingers crossed.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Wow Lisa! I read this with my mouth hanging open! Good for you! OH, to be able to be at home w/your kids AND work from home (and get a paycheck!). Way to go, girly!

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hey, this is great news.

Sometimes the added perks are even better than having more money. Usually there are no taxes on "perks".

Personally, I believe that because you have freely given so much of yourself and not been paid in the past, this blessing is coming your way.

You are a good person and you deserve it.

You go girl!

Karen

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Wow. I'm impressed. Especially by the fact that they don't care if they ever see you in the office.

Now that's my kind of job! Good for you.

• LDH
    LDH

Thanks girls and guys.

By the way, the Executive Director is a woman. She volunteered for 22 years at the local Zoo, so she knows where I'm coming from.

Everyone in the office had volunteered for this organization, before they were offered a paid position.

I think it would be a good idea for you moms to get out there and consider volunteering.

Lisa

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Lisa, I think you've snapped!

Also, for about three years I've been coordinating weddings and school carnivals and what not.
    (That was supposed to earn me money too, LOL, but by the time I finished covering my expenses etc it ended up just being favors for friends. Again, no paycheck wasn't an issue.

Every JW wedding I've ever been to had an unpaid 'director of the feast' to organize things. Very often the same few women would make the rounds and do a ton of weddings.

Well, last week I was called by the Executive Director of a local chapter of a nationally known non-profit and asked to come in and sit for an interview. The position title is Director of Events. (YEAHH)

Hmmm, what nationally known 'non-profit' borganization do we all know and love???

I was pretty upfront, as they knew me anyway, and I said listen y'all--I've *never* been paid to sit on one of these committees; it's been strictly voluntary.

...that let unpaid volunteers rise in the ranks to positions of oversight???

No problem, they said.
    No problem, they said.
    No problem, they said.
    This is an exempt (salaried) position (management). You can work from home if you want. As long as the events are coordinated and properly handled we don't care if we never see you in the office.

What nationally known non-profit organization lets its people work from home, and is so desperate for new members that no amount of conditions and stipulations is a problem for them... at first.

To make a long story short, I'm supposed to meet with the Board of Directors on Friday, where they will probably make me a job offer.

Does this 'job offer' include total immersion?

*****I just wanted to tell you all, especially you at-home moms, to get your asses out there and serve on committes. Contact a non-profit in your area and volunteer 10 hours a month. You will meet the most amazing people.

Yes, if your hours are up to the national average, you can have a part in a life-saving work, meet amazing people, and maybe even have the privilege of conducting a free home bible study? Admit it, Lisa, you're going back to the Watchtower, aren't you? And you're getting a jump on auxiliary pioneer hours for this month (what are they now, 20 hrs/mo?)

Seriously, congratulations! I know you'll do a great job

Hmmm

• Francois
    Francois

Very good deal, very good.

I've worked my last hour in a %&@#( cube farm too.

Hope it works for you. (When are you going to put up your executive portrait?)

francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit