Are the Governing Body Members Mentally Ill?

by Oubliette 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Finkelstein:Other symptoms in addition to the ones defined by DSM-IV-TR...

...pssst...the current psychiatric "bible" is the DSM 5. The DSM IV is considered to be out of date.

As far as whether or not the GB are "mentally ill" - I challenge anyone to look in the DSM 5 and not find a disorder that you can fit in. The term "mentally ill" covers a broad spectrum of disorders, ranging from depression to full blown psychosis. Mental illness is not something that means "people who think different than me", and it does not mean "people that we can call schizophrenic". Schizophrenia is a complicated disorder that should not be bandied around to explain things about people's behavior that they don't understand. That does a great disservice to people who actually do suffer from schizophrenia.

The organization itself can be classified as "psychopathic". So, it would depend on how a person was diagnosing the people who run that organization - are they being measured against the larger society's standards of "normal" or are they being measured against the organization's notion of what "normal" is? In the WT culture, what may seem "mental illness" to outsiders could very well be "normal" for the context that those people are operating in.

Are the GB functional within their own culture ? Probably.

Are the GB functional within the larger culture? Probably not.

phizzy: It interests me that the Mental Health professionals exclude religious delusions from the list of delusions they rate as "mental illness". Why ?

Because the pope and all other special people who make their living on deluding other people could be then be classified as having a mental disorder. The DSM 5 has to exempt religious delusion - the manual comes out of a culture that still places religion on a pedestal. Classifying religious delusion as a mental disorder would collapse the social structures that produced the manual.

The only place that you would be able to find religious delusion classified as a mental disorder is in cultures that do not have religion - but, then, you would have to add a new disorder - "authority delusion" - into the mix.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

PA: In context of what is being discussed here, yes I do know. I have also mentioned a number of books in my post and run a blog dedicated to books on psychology

What, so that makes you the only one qualified to discuss this? That's just stupid.

You have know knowledge of what the other posters on this forum know about the subject or our qualification.

You're rude and an idiot. Go away until you get a personality transplant. Then maybe we'll welcome you back, but no promises.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree Oub, 100%. PA needs to grow up.

Thanks, Orphan Crow, for your reply to my question. It was really rhetorical, as I knew the answer full well, but you have expressed it far better than I could, Perfectly in fact !

The Mental Health "experts" are afraid of telling the Truth, if they did, it would sum up as "Every American Politician is Deluded", or, at least, we should judge so from their Public Statements.

Not a popular position.

I have observed similar reticence and fear in many branches of Science, sadly.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

DarioKehl, Finkelstein, GreatTeacher, Millie, Orphan Crow and Phizzy, thanks for all of your comments and contributions to this thread.

I'm busy getting ready for a cross-country trip and don't have time just now to give a proper response to all your your posts, but I wanted to let you know I've read them and, whether I agree or not, I appreciate them all. I should have a little time in the next day or two for a better response to each of you.

In the meantime, keep those cards and letters coming!

Oubliette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit