Are the Governing Body Members Mentally Ill?

by Oubliette 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

-

Are the Governing Body Members Mentally Ill?

• Data-dog: I believe that many of them would actually be considered mentally ill, if they were ever tested.

Great question and intriguing hypothesis. Let’s take an armchair psychologist’s view and see what we shall see.

First of all, we know they believe things that are demonstrably untrue and/or in clear contradiction with reality. This is the definition of a delusion, which is typically a symptom of mental disorder.

Also, they think Satan and "this system of things" is out to get them, thereby exhibiting signs of paranoia.

And although they can appear superficially normal and even charming at times, they are nonetheless completely lacking in normal human compassion and empathy. They apparently have no consciences as evidenced by their ongoing, utter failure to admit to ever being wrong about anything. They never, ever show any guilt or remorse; they show total disregard for the untold pain and suffering they have caused to countless millions of people; are routinely and oft times brutally calculating and manipulative of their followers seeking their own selfish gain and desires, all the while simultaneously believing they are special and deserve more and better things than everyone around them. These traits are the classic characteristics of a life-long psychopath.

So there you have it: the Governing Body members are paranoid, delusional psychopaths and they are the leaders of a well-established religion with substantial numbers of followers Earthwide.

The implications of this are obviously very serious. Anyone that tries to imitate them will inevitably end up mimicking these same antisocial personality disorders. Sound like anyone you know? Yourself maybe?

Induced delusional disorder (or shared paranoid disorder), also known as folie à deux, is a fairly uncommon disturbance characterized by the presence of similar psychotic symptoms in two or more individuals.

According to Phillip W. Long, MD, the dominant person (in this case: the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses) in the relationship has a delusional disorder and convinces the nondominant person (the Rank & File Witnesses) to adopt his delusional beliefs. Needless to say, that's pretty messed up.

The bad news is that induced paranoia and delusions are very resistant to treatment. A combination of psychotherapy and medication is usually required. According to Dr. Joseph Goldberg, “Psychotherapy can help the person with shared psychotic disorder recognize the delusion and correct the underlying thinking that has become distorted. … However, psychotherapy without antipsychotic medications is rarely able to alter false, fixed beliefs.” And of course a person can't even begin to get help unless they admit there's a problem.

There is, however, some potential good news: the nondominant person can usually overcome the delusions and regain their mental health once separated from the psychotic dominant person or in this case the Jehovah's Witness religion and the influence of its leadership.

To paraphrase a familiar verse for most of us: “Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her insanity, and if you do not want to receive part of her mental illness."

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I've only heard two members speak - AT3 & Stephen Lett. Both sound - what's the PC term? - mental cases. I'm not sure about the others.

It might be a silly question but are there any GB members known for 'balance', moderateness or common sense?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

LUHE: It might be a silly question but are there any GB members known for 'balance', moderateness or common sense?

Just this guy:

Fred Franz (1893 - 1992)

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Lets review...

I have heard them all speak, met a few in person.

Sam Heard is small town character who tell anecdotal stories and shows his humble beginnings by some of the sexist things he says.

Geoffrey Jackson is amiable, seems sincere, has a nice accent to listen to and generally doesn't say anything that sounds overly ignorant or insane.

Steven Lett, definitely deranged, not sure why he and TM3 seem to get to speak so much. They are by far the most damaging.

Garret Loesch seems to just follow along, also seems amiable but not one of the alphas for sure.

Anthony Morris is stone cold crazy, not friendly, not scholarly, his theology is bigotry. Hearing him speak in person at the now famous Special meeting (tight pants rant) revealed a lot. At that moment "the truth" took its last breath for me. All the non-esense this religion is came flooding full blast in at once, i felt like I was outside of my body and was forcing myself not to stand up and storm out. I felt rage at the sheer stupidity and hate.

Mark Sanderson seems like the other b*tch IMO. The new kid, I often wonder if he gets hazed by them.

David Splane, sort of an odd character, his talks always seems also very sincere, that he really was honestly interested in understanding the silly bible, but I have to give more credit than the others in his delivery at the very least.

The ring leaders seem to be TM3 and Lett, because if splane or one of the others was leading this thing, they just might kick their crazy asses to the curb.

But the whole thing is a mess. I think some are definitely more mentally ill than others, and some like Jackson, are just like the old school witnesses or your family member who are in and just in it for the long haul. Not being aholes, and not up to anything, just doing their time on the board of directors.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Oubliette...

Joke, right?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    IMO, virtually all CEOs of large corporations are (varying degrees of) sociopathic, at the very least.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Vidiot: Joke, right?

Yes, absolutely!

They didn't call him "Crazy Freddie" for nothin!

I didn't think my sarcasm was subtle enough for you to even wonder.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I think they are all honest hard working men who have special communication with Jehovah while they sleep. We should be in awe of these modern day apostles! Only seven of them! How rare and precious! I once had the chance to see one of them on a big screen TV at the assembly! I even took a picture of him on my smartphone! Stephen Lett is sooo good at gestures! Brother Morris is like a modern day Paul! He speaks with such frankness and openness. Brother Splane sounds so scholarly and sophisticated! I feel like they are all like personal grandpas to me. I just love the idea that they are delving deep into the spiritual things so that I don't have to!

To think that they are going to heaven to rule as kings over me while I'm down here being judged by them before armageddon and then tested again after armageddon fills me with such warmth. I feel so safe in knowing that Br. Morris, who is so kind hearted, will have a vote in whether I am found to be righteous or not. In my seven masters I trust! These gifts in men are like a colorful rainbow bridge to Jehovah! They even poop skittles or so I've been told!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

This is a question that only we can answer about ourselves: "Before I knew TTATT, was I mentally ill?"

Like me, were you showing signs of compulsive, erratic, anti-social behavior? We're you burdened by guilt? Did you entertain the idea of suicide?

If you answer, "Yes", then you were more than likely mentally ill on some level. Maybe you weren't ready for a rubber room, but it may have been a short trip from where you were to crazy-town.

DD

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

DD: This is a question that only we can answer about ourselves: "Before I knew TTATT, was I mentally ill?"

Actually, mentally ill people, particularly those with delusions, are generally incapable of recognizing their own delusional thinking and corresponding behavior.

If you mean, now that we are out and have some distance and perspective, then I suppose: Yes, a reflective, self-aware person might be able to look back on their beliefs and behaviors as an active JW and objectively say about themselves, "Whoa, was I fucked up or what? That was cwaaaaa-zeee!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit