A good question to make JWs 'think'

by Simon 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Simon, I think that's a very good approach. You would think that if they found out about the abuse, that they would be able to see that it's not a org directed by God, but in my case it hasn't seem to make a difference. I've recently tryed to make them aware of the abuse that is going on within the org. but they refuse to discuss it. It's like they would rather live in their own little make believe world rather than open up their eyes and see it for what it actually is. Sad, but true.

Have you tryed this approach with your family, and if so, what was the outcome?

Tink =:o)

• Beans
    Beans

Great question, but I don`t think that question would compute! I could just imagine the dumb look on there face!

I will ask my Dad that one and respond.

Beans

• Eric
    Eric

Simon,

I asked my mother this very question a little over ten years ago.

My mother's response: Even if they (the WBTS) are totally wrong, totally off the track, I love Jehovah, I've dedicated my life to serving Jehovah, and preaching His message as a witness of Jehovah is the best way I know how.

Me: Could you or anyone else come to understand God's message without the Watchtower?

Mom: (Thinking, a bit) Yes, because all scripture is inspired and good for setting things straight.

Me: So if the Watchtower is off the track, you could just preach the Bible, right Mom?

Mom: But it's the Watchtower that brought me and so many others to this understanding...

...And on and on it went, circularly.

Of course, then I had some improperly made quotes the WBTS had made in it's "Evolution book" and the 1975 fiasco to highlight as evidence of being "off the track" and now there is much more powerful stuff that has been brought to light. But I won't be bothering my parents with this new info. All I will get for my trouble is to be moved from the "sad, faithless son/where did we go wrong" category to the "evil, apostate, devil controlled son/avoid at all cost" category. I've already spent time in the latter category and it took years and some constructive forgetfulness on the part of both parties to go back to the former.

Now, let's see...how can I be of more help to the Silentlambs cause?

Eric

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Simon,

What a thought provoking thread. I can see the use of these ideas with those JDubs who are "fence setters", or "waivering". It would really cause them to think beyond borg. It's one of those "good seeds" we can plant.

However, it has been my experience with the hardcore JW, that they have such an attitude about anyone on the outside, and especially one that was in and is now out, that they are programmed to totally discount anything we do manage to get through to them. They hold their hands up and say "stop", they tell us "please don't say anything about God's organization".

In the situation of my mother, I could not even get past any simply statement to get her to think "outside" the org. Even coming in "the back door of reason", she was like a badly programmed calculator. None of the facts would compute, so she keeps getting the wrong answer.

When it's that bad, the individual has a very closed mind. They don't even want to know that there might be a problem. It frightens them because they are so codependent on the borg. When they do get wind of the SilentLambs, and other new media events, they run to their "leader" with their questions and concersn, only to be told to ignore all of it. And, they put it out of their mind and go on, blindsided as ever. It releases them from any responsibiltiy.

We should never give up, though. As something may "click" with them and they will remember how we loved them enough to try to help them see the real truth. Believe me, they will remember, ....a kind word and loving thought, even years after the fact. It happened to me when I was a Pioneer. The lady at the door was so kind, and she first commended me for my "sacrifices", but then told me that one day I would find the real truth about everything, and I would be set free from my bondage. At the time, I did not understand her at all. But, I never forgot what she said to me, in the most loving way. I remember the house, and I remember her. It took some ten years more in the borg, for her words to have any real meaning for me. Then, I remembered what she had told me.

It's so frustrating for me, to have been totally discounted as an individual person, with the ability to think and reason for myself. Now, with the shunning, I cannot reach mom on any level.

Love and Light,

Sentinel/Karen

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

You can't make a JW think. If a JW is thinking they are by definition no longer JW's. If someone is willing to honestly consider this question then they are already on the way our JW's who are in won't even give this the time of day I used this question for years out in service while trying to get others to come around to the duba way. (what could the catholic religion or the babtist religion or the branch davidians... oh by the way your house is on fire...) several elders who went out with me commented on what a great question it was one even used it in a service meeting part here in jacksonville but they will never turn this around because there is nothing that the wts could do they could tell them. "You need to all buy guns an monday morning we're gonna jumpstart armegedon cause were tired of god f*cking around" and I'll bet 85 percent would do it.

My wife flat told me "I do not care if they are wrong this is how I was raised and this is my hope for the future and I do not care" what do you say to that

• shotgun
    shotgun

Exact question I asked my brother Simon who had been an elder for about 10 years.

He replied...Nothing could alter his faith in the GB because as an Elder he had seen things...times when using Jehovah's name repelled Demon attacks on publishers.

Hmmm...I asked him if he ever read the preface in the NWT reference bible where they state that the name Jehovah is not the correct name for YHWH and that they only use it due to familiarity...and then asked why powerful spirit creatures were afraid of a made up name, a name that we acknowledge is not correct...and are there any other names we can use as well which although not being correct the demons find scary?

Then I asked him why he didn't use Jesus name as the Apostles did...are we not supposed to follow the pattern set by the first century christians...never in the scriptures do they use any other name than Jesus to cast out Demons.

His response...well Jesus is not the correct pronounciation either! Jeshua is....

Ay carumba

Just noticed this thread is two years old...oh well...proper food at the proper time and all that!

• cindykp
    cindykp
    Even the witnesses agree that there is no 100% proof that any religion is God's chosen religion.

I have always asked myself this question. Because of the fact that we are all imperfect, how is it possible to really identify the "one true religion?" If I were catholic, and devoted my whole life to it because I believed it was the right one, would god destroy me in armegedon? I was told it is the ones who knew the truth, and turned it away, were the ones who would be destroyed. But, going back to being imperfect, if we have doubts I cannot imagine a loving god giving up on us that easily just because we are unsure.

• Neo
    Neo

Check the thread: The Loaded Question

Neo

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    You can't make a JW think. If a JW is thinking they are by definition no longer JW's.

This was discussed in SoJ's recent thread---the fact that only those JWs who are ready to face the facts about the WTS will think about it. None of us can really know when one is ready to "think", so Simon's question is a very good one to get the wheels and brain cells moving.

Annie

• minimus
    minimus

It's about time you ask a "good question", Simon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit