What Are You All Doing Now?

by Tish 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Tish
    Tish

I am at a crossroads in my life, and wanted your opinions:

I have been D/F for 18 months, I have learnt enough to know JWs are completely misguided, but my sis has also been D/A for questioning things, she has been doing the Alpha Course and is getting baptised at a Baptist Church next weekend, which I am very pleased for her to be doing if she feels it's right. I am in a quandry as I am very sceptical about going to another religion, I know many I have spoken to say, it isn't joining a religion but just associating with other Christians. I have been praying about this but I am not being drawn in the same direction as my sister, which she doesn't understand, she seems to have the old JW head when it comes to trying to convince me otherwise (I know she means well, but it just seems to be screwing me up more).

Are most other posters, going to other religions? Or has the majority felt like me and have the opinion that they believe the bible, but don't want to go down the path of putting trust in an organisation?

I'd appreciate your opinions whatever they are.

Tish

• mamashel
    mamashel

Unfortunately no one can tell you what you need to do, you can only do what makes you happy. I would suggest you read Ray Franz's book, Cirsis of Conscience and you can probably better determine that the org is a true lie. Once you are totally conviced of that, then pick up either a king james or living bible and start comparing scriptures. You will soon see for yourself what you should do. The most important thing to remember is to reprogram your mind, and know you are doing the right thing by leaving.

I havent gone to any church yet since leaving, but that is my desire. I just want to take it slow. Learn how to be happy outside the org first, because many of us when we first leave are afraid to be happy. But guess what??. You can.

Best wishes in your search.

mamashel

• JT
    JT

can't speak for you but as far religion goes in my book, same product different packaging-

all of them will reassure you that they got the inside track to god- show me one major belief system be it christian, muslium, etc that doesn't believe that- i have had enough of being involved with groups/organization or whatever you want to call it who look upon others as being lost souls with ultimate death and destruction/hell fire as their gift for not accepting thier views

at least one thing you will never see an Atheist do is Invoke calling on the gods to kill you if you don't view things their way unlike most major belief systems-

in my book if any folks should run from someone claiming to understand the mind of "god" is a jw in my view.

some sunday we watch tv preachers and i swore to my wife that the next business i start will be my own church--

i what other biz can you jack up folks livess - give out bogus info and still not be responisible all you go to do is like Jimmy Swaggart said "I have Sin"

and everything is cool

wouldn;t the boys at Enron, Aurthur Andersen, etc to be able to fall on the sword of "I have sinned"

hey you got to love belief systems that give you such a neat way out of stuff

I think i will call my church " The Apostolic Holy Ghost Revival Redemption Church of God

and my title will be :

"The Right Rev. Holy Bishop Deacon Jones"

I'm telling you folks we all need to get that new religion thing going

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Tish,

You've asked a number of questions here. I'll pick up on a couple of them.

Are most other posters, going to other religions?

Here in New South Wales, some exDubs are now regularly attending evangelical Anglican churches.

it isn't joining a religion but just associating with other Christians.

I agree with them! At least not in the sense that we were led to believe by the WTS.

But I found this was sensible advice from Mamashel:

I havent gone to any church yet since leaving, but that is my desire. I just want to take it slow.

I wish you well in your search.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Celtic
    Celtic

Hello Tish, how ye be gal?

Well, I've been out now for nigh coming on 7.5 years. At first, I was still greatly questioning my spirituality path and although initially exploring many other paths, still came to the conclusion that Jesus out of all the guy's seemed like the person to have his head most switched on in these matters. I like the simplicity of his message.

As for church, I did try, but inate fears held me back from committing myself. I too tried out partially the alpha course here in the UK. But boxed in thinking is something naturally I seem to shy away from these days. I do not think you can fit God within a box. I mean, church was ok, but still something about the whole experience niggled me often, perhaps an aversion to placing my trust in another man made organisation, who know's?

My church these days is in my own head. At least this reality causes me no fears, maybe I just like to keep things uncluttered and simple these days in a format I understand. Maybe I still have issues with putting trust in others, i just do not know and to be ruddy honest, who the hec cares less anyway?

If I want to speak with Jesus, which ain't that often, I feel he is to be found more out in nature among the trees and the rivers, across the sweeping windswept moorlands and upon the high plain, not in some absurd building.

What the hec is spirituality anyway? Can spirituality be defined, confined? Is it more affiliated with a deep sense of knowing, of understanding one's relationship to the world around them and other people in general whoever they are?

Talking of spiritual people, I work with the homeless and those with either mental or physical impairments within the charity I work for. Of the homeless individuals, often there is a deep sense of 'spirituality' surrounding them. In all honesty I find their company much more reassuring than any 'suits' anyday of the week, they're all so down to earth, raw in their emotions, dealing with life as best they can, they're real and not fake. If there is a God, truth has to be much more simple than the suits could possibly imagine it to be.

Give me a good friend who likewise knows what its like to be down and out, a few cigarettes and a beautiful view, questioning minds, conversation and perhaps the warmth and comfort of a blanket with the stars above our heads, this 'spirituality' I do understand.

Hmmmmm good question Tish, cheers!! Keep your head up lass and kindest regards.

Celtic Mark - Cornwall UK http://www.selfdirection.org http://www.can-online.org.uk

• Matty
    Matty

This is a completely useless post from me Tish, because I'm not offering any solutions, just agreeing with you!

Your sister puts me in a quandary too in exactly the same way. She has something very wonderful in her life. It seems very tangible to me, she's aglow with her faith. She and her husband have had that "road to Damascus" moment that I haven't had yet, and I'm kinda wondering if I ever will. I can't say whether I'll ever want to be a part of an organised religion again, I'm just trying to keep an open mind. And so I'm reading other peoples comments here with great interest.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Tish,

Do whatever makes YOU happy. I have tried going to a church and it didn't do anything to explain God to me at all. It was more of an emotional experience for the members there, everytime someone testified about their faith they cried. I didn't mind going, they were friendly and caring, at least superficially, but there was the same old discord among some of the members. I decided to stop going and I haven't regretted it at all.

I'm still searching for God after 25 years out of the borg and don't think I will ever understand him. I tried nature as a way to understand his character and along with the beauty is all the nasty stuff, with death the final result of it all for every living thing, with alot of suffering along the way. As for myself I've had very little suffering but for humanity as a whole the picture is very different. I just don't understamd WHY???

Ken P.

• Lin
    Lin

I can definitely understand your thoughts here. I was df'd in '95 in for a few years had no interested whatsoever in even hearing anything spiritual or religiously natured. In 2000, I visited a non denominational church in the area and really liked it, especially since many of the people attending there I already knew through my job. I attended there for about a year, joined the choir etc, but then left again feeling overwhelmed.

What I will say to you is the same I would say to anyone with your question: Before considering visiting or joining a church/religion/denomination, FIRST read Ray Franz book Crisis of Conscience, and then Steve Hassan's book Combatting Cult Mind Control. In my opinion, after reading those books, anyone will be "armed" to protect themselves and can choose to attend or visit churches and not be reeled into another bad situation. Just this past Sunday I attended the same non denominational church I just mentioned and I just feel "drawn to it".

Don't rush yourself, and don't allow anyone to pressure you to do anything you don't feel comfortable with. One step at a time.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I totally agree with JT. I think all religions are the same. Eventually, after conditioning you, the same as JW's do it, you come to believe you are special because you go to church. I see this in two of my daughters in law, who were never JW's. To them it's vital to go to church and pray to Jesus. Hogwash!

Never again. Never again. I want religion to NEVER be a part of my life again.

• LB
    LB

I'm with you Mulan. I have no use for any religion, ever. I'm done with it for good. I feel like I spent a lifetime looking and it was a waste of time. I can thank the JW's for getting it out of my system I guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit