What Are You All Doing Now?

by Tish 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

I'm with Mulan and LB. I can't stand the idea that you are better because you go to church and the rest of us are just heathens because we don't. I know not all churchgoers believe that way but I sure run into a lot that do. I live behind a baptist church and we are treated like second class citizens because we don't attend. They park in front of our house and cut across our yard to get to their church, just unbelievably rude.

I think a relationship with god is possible without a church to intervene. I don't need anyone to tell me how to think anymore.

Never been happier! (except for the rude people behind us)

Rachel

• Tish
    Tish

Hi there,

Thanks for all your comments, I don't feel so alone. I am coming to the same opinion as you, to read my bible seems to satisfy my spiritual needs at present. I have been to some churches, but it just doesn't do anything. the first one I went to was my sis's and yes everyone was friendly, but they did seem to love hearing everyone else's experiences. I want it to be a personal thing.

The other church was a very traditional one, with too much pomp for my liking.

By sis' argument is we have to eat the bread and the wine to go to heaven and have holy spirit on us to know we are with Jesus - or have I misunderstood??

I like the idea of starting a church though, I think that there could be money in it!!! LOL

Tish

• Carmel
    Carmel

Tish,

I spent the better part of 18 years looking for a new "home" when I left the borg. If you are intellectually honest, you really have to do your research objectively and without prejudice before you will be content with a religion. Otherwise you are following the path of least resistance and not "testing the spirits" as the good book commands.

Feel free to contact me.

carmel

• Xander
    Xander

Teeheehee.... sig I saw on another board:

"Get a taste for religion - lick a witch!"

Seriously, though. Have you considered chucking the whole damn book out? I mean, it is obvious that most of what is contained in it is not literal history, nor accurate. Fanciful stories, at best, and that's not the kind of thing to base life decisions on.

EDIT: Plus, their humor is funny.

What's the best thing about Pagan friends? They worship the ground you walk on...

OH! - And Ankh if you love Isis!!

Whew - lot's of them - Atheism (paganism, too) is a non-prophet organization. (HAHA!)

Edited by - Xander on 17 September 2002 14:36:36

• Perry
    Perry

I have to say that I want to be a believer....that's why I do. I've attended several churches and found some pretty cool friends that value God, family, and country. I'd be lying if I said that I feel totally at ease in any congregation. The negative heirachial social dynamics that are so exacerbated by the WTBS are alive in any group. I see them all so clearly now and they give me the heebie jeebies whether it be a religious, social or political group. As much as I respect many posters here that choose to not believe....and believe me I truly respect their position as a logical and fundamental right, I disagree that only believers kill. Hundreds of millions of people have been killed in the name of atheism......Stalin was a truly evil athiest. Similar attrocities occured in other official athiest countries.

On the other hand, I truly appreciate an asssociation of people who try to be fair, democratic, and minimize needless centralized control... regardless of the groups' substance. I guess it is my own personal little war to fight the desire to be a cynical hermit as a post JW survivor.

• nakedmvistar
    nakedmvistar

XANDER said:

Seriously, though. Have you considered chucking the whole damn book out? I mean, it is obvious that most of what is contained in it is not literal history, nor accurate. Fanciful stories, at best, and that's not the kind of thing to base life decisions on.

-----------"OBVIOUS"--"LITERAL HISTORY" --"FANCIFUL STORIES"-----------
    ??????????????????????????????????????

Tish,
    I suggest you RESEARCH all available resources on the Bible, God and any religion you ultimately decide on attending. Don't throw away a Belief in God that may or may not be true on second hand information. It should be a well informed CHOICE based on your own personal conclusions. If your still a believer in God, these choices may determine your eventual relationship with him.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

It's after 2 a.m. I'm going to bed.

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

Well, what I'm doing right NOW is goofing off at work. My little patients are generally asleep at this time. But it looks like we are all talking about what's going on in our lives since leaving the "troof". I've been through my own cycles of belief vs. non-belief and even converted to Reform Judaism at one point a couple of years ago. Now, none of it is a priority(religion as a whole). I'm still just working on guiding my own hate towards the organization into constructive things, though I'm not always doing too hot of a job at that. Hell, I even moved halfway across the damn country to start my life over. Ah well. There's my 2 cents

• Xander
    Xander

I suggest you RESEARCH all available resources on the Bible, God and any religion you ultimately decide on attending.

Yes, do. You'll be amazed at how little is even remotely accurate in it, and the plethora of contradictions.

In any case, who in their right mind would be willing to worship a god who has (according to the bible) shown no remorse at all in completely annhilating his followers for minor errors in worship, and done nothing at all in return for 'faithful worship' except allow them to grow old and die anyway.

Indeed, according to the bible, he has at times made bets with 'the devil', using his faithful worshippers as pawns, essentially torturing them just to prove a point.

• ballistic
    ballistic

To Tish and Matty, the road to Damascus doesnt have to be a religious journey. I found that being brought up in the truth was all that had forced me to live a religious life, and I did that very dilligently. I still have a spiritual side but am more sure in my mind of the answers to life without a religion than I ever was with one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit