Life sucks

by joannadandy 36 Replies latest jw friends

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

All right- all those out there who own pets, or have owned pets will hopefully see my point of view and understand. The rest of you can point and laugh at my weakness...

My cat is dying. She is 119 in people years, I guess it's to be expected that she go sometime, but still it sucks! I am sitting here tonight and she is sitting next to me and I can't help but burst into tears every time I look at my poor old kitty. This week she has given up eating. She nibbles but walks away. She sleeps a lot, I mean more than normal for a cat. She only walks short distances then sits down to rest. She weighs next to nothing, her back legs shake when she walks and today she lost all bladder control. Tomorrow I am taking her to the vet. I know there is nothing they can do, and will most likely tuck her in for the long sleep good night so tonight is my last night with her. Ooops there I go crying again.

I feel stupid on the one hand, she is just a pet, nothing lasts forever, she's very old, we had lots of years together etc. But I can't help it. I'm a blubbering mess over a ball of fur. It's just I've never had a pet live this long. They were usually done in as kittens by cars, neighbors, or ran away, or got some weird liver disease. I mean I have had her since I was 8.

And she was my cat. She only crawled into my bed, she only liked me. She was just as crabby and mean as me, and we bonded. I like to think we had a bitchy understanding of each other. She follwed me everywhere. She would always come and "talk" to me in the mornings, and if I just made eye contact with her I could get her to purr. I can pat my leg and she'd come running. She always bashed her head into my shin, and laid on my books to make it impossible for me to study. Whenever times were tough I always felt like she was the one little creature who cared about my existance, probably cuz I supplied her with food and emptied the litter box, but if felt like unconditional love at the time. Hahaha!

So anyway, I am a mess and dreading tomorrow. Life sucks.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

((((((((((((((((((((((((Joanna)))))))))))))))))))))

You have a bond with your cat and this is a hurtful thing. She's been your companion with unconditional love for so many years- of course it hurts- nothing weak about that at all.

I'm so sorry.

XW

• Preston
    Preston

(((joanna)))

I couldn't help but smile during your tribute to your cat because it reminds me of the special bond that I've always had with my kitty. Like you, I've always thought that my cat and I had our smilar, "bitchy" qualities. She only likes you and you're the only person whom she sleeps with. In context, your pet is 100 times better than anybody I know outside my family. Your cat will love you unconditionally (albeit, any cat will make you work for her loyalty at first) but all a cat wants is to be loved, to be fed, and, maybe taken out every once in a while. Tonight, this last night with your cat, you may think that the world sucks, but your kitty had the fortune of spending her entire life with a person she loves.

(((special hugs to joanna and kitty)))

Sheds tears...

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Joanna - She's your family; part of your heart, and always will be honey. There is nothing to soften such a blow. My pets are part of our family and it tears us apart to lose even one.

My ol' guy, Beaster, an orange tabby, has feline lukemia and could go anytime. I actually had his grave dug at one point and my girls and I had said our good-byes, but by some miracle, he responded to fluids (intended to keep him alive for one more day), and over half a year later, he is still here. But I know he's a ticking time bomb. No pet has been with me for as long as he has.

I know where you're coming from. Cry - let it out. You are there for her just as she was there for you. I'm sorry she's going - but I'm glad you've had her great friendship for so long.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Joanna)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Mim

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

((((((Joanna))))))

Losing a dear pet can be as heartbreaking as anything else. Don't feel ashamed at how you feel, you have every right to be upset. Go ahead and cry as much as you wish. Cherish the memories of having a faithful pet for as long as you did.

Lew W

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

Puts my arms around jo and gives you all the cyber hugs I can. I know the pain of losing a loved one. Some relate the term "loved one" to mean a person (human) but that is not true for many. I know the pain you are going through, but remember, everything that happens in our lives makes us stronger.

Preston, what a beautiful thought when you stated:

Tonight, this last night with your cat, you may think that the world sucks, but your kitty had the fortune of spending her entire life with a person she loves.
  • Matty
    Matty

It's remarkable how the relationship with your cat can grow. People that don't know cats are very dismissive of this. Although many cats are completely stupid, occasionally you really get yourself a real gem, a cat you will never forget. When you've grown up with a cat for 20 years, and you get to know them so well, they get to know you intimately as well, and they become so perceptive to your moods, don't they? I can really appreciate how you feel, it's heartbreaking when you can see your pet is suffering, and that tough desision has to be made.

((((Joanna))))

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Hon, I am definately not going not make fun of you. I understand completely. Pets are like children, they are a part of you, you love them, and they love you, unconditionaly. They give you that little bit of warmth and love in your life that we all need.

(((((Joanna))))))

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Oh my gawrsh.. here I am tearing up like an idiot! This is such an emotional post! I have had my cat, Rowzer, for eight years now, and can't bear the thought that he, too, will go someday. I know how badly you must feel... <sniff sniff>. It sounds as if you have had an incredible bond of emotion with this pet, and for now about all you can do is make him comfortable and play out the days of his life like he wants them: to be next to you. <SNIFF> All the things that you mentioned that you have shared with your cat (laying on your books, banging his head on your shin> many of us have experienced with their pets, also, and I'm sure lots of us can relate! Be lucky that you had such a bond: cats don't give their vulnerability away freely!

Recently, I have been reading up alot on the emotions of animals, if they do indeed have them. It has never occurred to me that they didn't, but apparently lots of people believe animals don't have complex emotions. Just from my recent readings, I only confimed what I already felt.

Anyway, enjoy your kitty's last times with you and comfort and love him as he likes it. Hugs and comfort to you...

Country Girl

• Angharad
    Angharad

((((((Joanna)))))

Dont feel silly, your cat is a part of the family especially when they are with you so long. I had a cat when I was little, we got her when I was two - she got hit by a car when I was 16 so I'd grown up with her. We were all really upset when she went as she was part of the family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit