JWs With A Financial Interest In The Org

by JW_Rogue 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• oppostate
    oppostate
    we paid more so as to save money. If you can understand this, please explain it to me.

We pay more so the WT can get a nice cut. Working in Conventions with the rooming dept. in Administration was quite an eye opener. The freebies that hotels would grant the WT in free rooms and meals was just obscene.

Then if a single mother with a child or two came to the desk saying she didn't have a place to stay we were always instructed to find elders in her congregation to deal with the need. Sometimes they even paid from their pockets if a room was found available.

In congregations where I've been there's always been business trouble among "the friends". One thing I've learned is to hire someone who isn't a JW to keep it all contractually pleasant and without surprises.

• Vidiot
  • LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

My KHall was doing a remodel, years ago. All trades were supposedly doing their work on the KHall for free, or so, we the congo, were told. When the hall was almost finished, out comes this brand new oak podium. Then it was announced that this beautiful (I didn't think it was beautiful) plain, all wood, (clumsy looking) no screws, piece of work, only cost the congo either $350.00 USD or $450.00 USD. (The raw wood at the time would not have been that much at all, so he was recovering his cost plus his time). Some of the brothes were beaming like it was their little junior that made it, others were like, questioning, why does he get paid for his "contribution" of work, and the rest of us are doing it free for Jehovah. I found out later that others were getting paid, under the table, too. Yes, the ones that were paid were those "top" Elders in the know.

Disgusting.

LL

• kairos
    kairos

Just a quick search on your local county public records will show the elders with their hand in each other's pockets.

I've never seen so many deed transactions taking place locally.
    Crazy part was listening to these millionaires talking about how to live simple and avoid the snare of materialism!

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    Speaking of materialism, one of the things that woke me up was how brothers were using their personal businesses to open things up for the preaching work in countries in south eastern Asia. To give a specific example, One elder is using his portable drinking water tank business to send a bunch of his guys to the country to preach while under the guise of working. This guy was all about money all the time and often bragged about how business is booming. Whatever happened to the days where the holy spirit was getting things done and breaking down the barriers? Now you just follow the money trail to find out what they are doing over there.
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped
    purrpurr: I also know on a smaller scale that there is an expectation in the Cong that if you are a small company you should be giving goods/ services either at a big discount or for free!

I know a former brother (DF'ed) whose business revolved around many of the brothers and sisters. They took advantage of him and really put him in bad positions time and time again. Of course, he bears some responsibility for allowing that, but it was really sickening. Myself, I have a business, and I would always avoid working for brothers and sisters. On the off chance that I did, they were told straight up front that this is purely business and they'll pay the same as anyone else. I never really had problems because I put up strict boundaries from the first minute of our interactions, but I know many that have been ripped off in doing business within the brotherhood. There's an unwritten expectation that you're going to take care of them and look out for them in a way that you wouldn't for anyone else.

I not only wouldn't work for them if possible, but I also refused to ever hire brothers for anything that I needed done. I'd always go find a "worldly" company. Made some mistakes when I was younger with hiring brothers to do this or that, and it never went well.

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Ministry Cars, is one business that is JW owned. Bennet signs is another.

It would not be hard for the society to deny the used vehicle one as the number and wording is very WT. They are a litigious mob and would have no problem taking some company to court if it was riding on the WT logo etc

. Ministry Ideaz is another online shop for all things WT. I saw the receipt whilst taking care of an elder and his wife's house. I must look up some more. I know for a fact that the car one is WT based, even if loosely. There are also the large signs that have to be made for each respective hall or assembly.....

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Interesting, when you type "Stoops" into Google, Ministry Ideaz pops up 1st on the sponsored ads, above Stoops Manufacturing out of Missouri. Stoops has been in the JW supply game since the 50s. The other since the 90s. Stoops was all the rage when I was a dub. I even stopped in their shop once on a trip. Nothing against people making money, but looks like some places take it over the top. Just an opinion, I never do business with dubs anymore, been burned too many times.

Snakes

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

As a side note, there is now a mid page banner ad for Ministry Bagz. Smh

Snakes

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Ever heard of Modesty Clothing? I saw it on the internet last week. I think I have the name correct. I will check it out in a while.

I had a good look at it. It is witness owned and aimed at appropriate dress for women in the JW world. They claim to be a very suitable clothing company in keeping with kingdom interests and modesty.....got to find it now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit