Do you believe what the Bible teaches? If "yes", why? If "no", why?

by Tenacious 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    Did they still have the cane at your school cant leave?

Ah for the good old days when socially inadequate teachers could vent their frustrations by beating children.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I like to ask this sincere question.

It should be the easiest question anybody ever asked, predicated on the premise God is  supernatural and an omniscient being who inspired the Bible.

______________________    QUESTION : _______________

Name one provable bit of information provided in the Bible which

no human mind could have provided at the time of writing, which could have

only come from a supernatural source.

Now I'll sit back and watch what happens . . .

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In relation to Terry's purposed question, .

Name a single event which were was said to be the signs of the end times, that didn't actually occur at the time those words were scribed,

Answer =   the all did.    

Ancient mythology is fictional story telling made for specific reasons by men who had to endure an enormous amount of ignorance of the world in which they lived in, the same world we live in today. 

• prologos
    prologos

Is this is just about the "last days" and not about belief in the bible in general?

my take on the last days?

today is better than the last day (yesterday), or any of the last days. Paul was not talking about the future, BUT the past. 

In my lifetime the human race has made amazing progress, more knowledge gained in order of magnitudes to the hard work in tens of thousands years of the past;

(the days that did not last). 

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    No I don't believe what the bible teaches I used to but after a long and hard battle I took a more critical look at the the Bible and found Jehovah wanting in the personality department, and realized that Jehovah is just like all other Gods: a product of the human imagination the mind in order to avoid the discomfort of not knowing where we came from and more intricate details of how the world really works our minds made up Gods as a sort of patch job, that worked reasonably well for the time(thousands if not millions of years), so I don't have any animosity towards belief in Gods I just don't see belief as practical in our day and age.
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious

I appreciate everyone's input. Humans have made incredible strives in the past 100 years when compared with the past 1,000 years. There's no disputing that scientific and technological breakthroughs have made the world a much better place to live in and the average human lifespan has increased tremendously. 

The words of Paul resonate with me when statistically speaking, the wars that Jesus describes in the gospels, the violence that is so prevalent today as opposed to 50 years ago. Most kids growing up today are much more independent and rebellious with parents. Corporate greed has skyrocketed and while many third world countries have improved dramatically, there are still millions of people who live in poverty and die hungry.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Tena,

Sure we had world wars and what not, it's not a good reason to feel the bible is true, in fact we probably don't even understand Jesus was talking about being that these things were written many decades after the supposed dialogue took place with nobody writing it down as he spoke , so expect much of it made up to sound good, you know how word of mouth gets corrupted very quickly the more people in the link to pass it on to it's final destination which is somebody's ink and pen writing the holy script.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    The words of Paul resonate with me when statistically speaking, the wars that Jesus describes in the gospels, the violence that is so prevalent today as opposed to 50 years ago.

Your sentence makes no sense, but I am guessing you mean that there is more violence today than fifty years ago.  Of course the population has increased dramatically, but do you have statistics that prove you are more likely to be the victim of violence  today as opposed to fifty years ago?

Most kids growing up today are much more independent and rebellious with parents.

Society has changed, people are not raising their children as they did in the fifties. I think that in some ways that is a good thing, we need people who can think independently to solve the problems in the world.  I think in some ways we have become too permissive, but I don't want to go back to the conformist fifties either, which wasn't as carefree as some would like to believe. I think we need to improve, but it's not hopeless by any means. 

Corporate greed has skyrocketed

Really? Corporations weren't greedy 100 years ago, when children worked in coal mines ? Corporations have always been greedy, but we have more laws now to keep them in check.

and while many third world countries have improved dramatically, there are still millions of people who live in poverty and die hungry.

Yes, we should do something about that. As Jesus said, the poor will always be with us, so how is that a sign of anything? 

It's the nature of people to focus on bad news and to think things are some much worse now. And if you are invested in believing that we are in the last days, then you will more likely to focus on the bad in the world. I think that is a mistake, because you miss all the good there is and you don't do anything to improve the world, because you think it's hopeless. 

People have been speculating that the end is near since the time of Jesus. The founder of the JWs was convinced he was in the last days and the end would come in 1914. He based much of it on others who wrongly predicted other dates. The fact is every generation had some who thought things were so bad it must be the last days. These beliefs are based more on perception than fact. 

• kaik
    kaik

Bible has a lot of nonsense, and tit was a reason why so many Christian denomination happened since the 100AD. There was also huge splits during late Antiquity and numerous heresies. Even Christian rulers realized that it is impossible to follow bible literally from Justinian to Charlemagne and developed own political, judicial, and economic laws to match some of the Christian interpretation.

The life during Roman era was not so great as people believe due Renaissance influence. Life expectancy in Roman times was around 33, bit higher than early medieval Europe or during 100 Years war, but still low. Rome experienced two centuries of stability, but eventually the economic and political system crippled after Marcomanni wars onward. Plagues of Cyprian, Justinian, and Antonius decimated millions. Skeletal bodies of the late antiquity shows deep problem with malnourishment.  Except population of Rome and large cities, and the middle upper class, millions of Romans lived in poverty and were enslaved. They had much worse life survival prospect than free medieval peasant.

Since Renaissance, human population enjoyed continuous grow of living standard with some setbacks like 30 Years War, French Revolution, WWI & WWII or Great Recession. Nonetheless, the human race lives better with each subsequent generation. Even poor people today are better off than poor people in 1980. With present technology and social freedom, you would not last long during Great Depression or not to mention 19th century. Life is certainly not perfect nor fair, and we live somewhat in failed political and social systems; yet it is the best we had in the history of humanity.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Most kids growing up today are much more independent and rebellious with parents. Corporate greed has skyrocketed and while many third world countries have improved dramatically, there are still millions of people who live in poverty and die hungry.

First of all your assertion that kids today are much more rebellious with parents is nonsense, kids , teens adolescents have always been rebellious in one way or another, its a normal  progression of independence from their parents  ....... and no that doesn't mean Satan is influencing them !

The human population around the world right now is 7 billion , in comparison  the world population in 35,000 BCE is estimated to have been around 3 million people who subsisted as hunter-gatherers. The population had increased to around 15 million by the time agriculture was invented around 12,000 years ago. By contrast, it is estimated that around 50–60 million people lived in the combined eastern and western Roman Empire in the 4th century AD.

The Plague of Justinian which first emerged during the reign of Emperor Justinian caused Europe's population to drop by around 50% between the 6th and 8th centuries AD. The population of Europe was more than 70 million in 1340. The Black Death pandemic of the 14th century may have reduced the world's population from an estimated 450 million in 1340 to between 350 and 375 million in 1400; it took 200 years for population figures to recover. The population of China decreased from 123 million in 1200 to 65 million in 1393, which was presumably due to a combination of Mongol invasions, famine and plague.

The point being the WTS is not going to offer truthful fact finding information to break apart the notion that mankind if living in the last days as spoken about in the bible.

They want people to think that this is true so they can stimulate the proliferation of their publications , this has been going on now for more than century. 

The WTS. has always been a bunch a conniving calculating liars, who supported their lies by exploiting the  belief in the bible present in the general population. 

For some unfortunately it worked.   

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit