Birthday parties- A good idea or not????

by nogs 26 Replies latest social family

• LDH
    LDH

Last week was my daughter's 11th birthday. We're putting the 'party' off for another month, until the pool is open and the water's warm enough to swim in (although she jumped in with her friend Sunday).

We did, however, make her day special. My girlfriend Shar stopped by and brought her 6 Digimon presents all wrapped up. Then we took her to Toys R US and let her pick out whatever she wanted (a $60 LEGOs Dinosaur adventure set). Then we took her out to dinner and everyone came over and sang, and everyone in the restaurant told her Happy Birthday. My best girlfriend Christine stopped by Saturday with another present for her, a COLOR GAMEBOY!!! Eden's had been stolen.

She has been saying for the last week, "Oh thank you so much, this is the best birthday of my life! Oh thank you thank you thank you!"

I hope you will give your children the chance to feel super special one day a year, the light in thier eyes is unbelievable.

And by the way Nogs, even though I'm only recently inactive, I've been celebrating Eden's bday since I met Jerry. He was not JW, he grew up very poor and never got a bday. So he said he decided if he had children they were going to have the best day of the year on their birthday (except for Christmas).

One other thing, it makes it all worthwhile when you have an appreciative child.

• rob
    rob

We just celebrated my eldest daughter's 16th birthday. A great time was had by all and no one lost their heads!! Zazu as usual has a good point, the look of joy on your daughter's face will more than make up for any doubts you may have. Welcome aboard, by the way!

• RR
    RR

When we left, we didn't have any children, we now have a four year old and she just had her first birthday party, it was small but nice.

Personally I see nothing wrong with birthdays. I have a little problem with Christmas, although I do observe it, but only with Christ in view, no light, trees or decorations.

• regan
    regan

Yes! Have the Birthday! You won't regret it. As someone raised in the org. I never once had a birthday. I never even got so much as a gift (though I told my worldly associates that we didn't need holidays we got gifts year round- that is what we were told to say anyway, thought it wasn't true) I have two boys 2 and 5 and they have never known not having birthdays. I love doing up their special days and making sure they feel extra special! They are pretty terrific kids, too. (mommy brag) Have fun!

• rollercoaster
    rollercoaster

I never had a party for Discombobulatedgirl, and now she's 13. I wish I could go back and celebrate each one. I will make up for it for the rest of my life. I love her so much.
    In the mean time, we are celebrating Easter. We are coloring eggs tomorrow. Starting this year, we will celebrate every day except Halloween. Just to experience all of them.
    My parents were so pleased to hear that they could send gift. My grandma cried because all she ever wanted to do was send cards to her great-granddaughter. Now my grandma is dieing of cancer with only a few months left. I kept her from ever celebrating my daughters birthday. So when do I get past the guilt?
    Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVERYBODY!!!!!!

RC

• vsecret939
    vsecret939

After reading all of the posts on this topic I almost cried when I thought about the idea of my kids growing up like I did, with no birthday parties. This has been a major issue between me and my husband because it has been hard to unbrainwash myself by myself. I to never received a wrapped gift until after I was 20 years old and inactive. I had comprimised with my husband and told him that if he wanted them to have birthday parties he had to do it by himself, that I wouldn't even go to them. And now I'm thinking to myself that I must be crazy to feel that way. I'm just glad that my babies are so young that they won't remember that I wasn't there, cause I will be from now on

• DAVID
    DAVID

AS loving parents, of course we want to celebrate the day our children were born. Childhood passes so quickly and amidst the more mundane days of our lives it is truly great to demonstrate the perenial celebration of our children. When I married Leane, her son Kyle was 8 and had never known the joy of Christmas and birthday - how we made up for those "lost Years" and the joy to behold was priceless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit