KIngdom Melodies

by freedom96 26 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

Just wondering if there were any good funny stories out there with the songs.

There always were the loud ones, the ones who thought they could sing.

I remember wrong songs being played on the record, then later tape, (are they on c/d yet?) and people singing to it, but the wrong music, but they keep going anyways, especially when the "new song book" came out.

How about when the record would skip.

Of course there were the brothers back there who so loved their "repsonsibility" in the hall, and took the "privledge" of doing the music so serious.

I remember back when they allowed someone to actually play the piano, she sometimes would jazz it up a little, and the congregation loved it, made it more lively, until they were chastised for it.

And then of course, no one could play live anymore, didn't want to make the musician too proud. Do you think that was really the reason? Or was there more to it?

• Lin
    Lin

When I first saw this subject title, my first thought was Ugh. I haven't heard that term in so long. Personally, I found the songs pathetic and juvenile, written by four yr olds. No one in our hall(s) ever sang very loud, mostly in whispers, so even if you did have a good singing voice, you felt out of place if you sang louder than everyone else. My family still doesn't know that I'm a good singer, and so is my niece. Sometimes I managed to be in the ladies room at the time they were sung, 'cause I couldn't stand it.

• stichione
    stichione

When I was a teenager I was assigned to play the Kingdom Melody records at my hall. 20 years ago we used those old style record players, and if the song wasn't the first track on the record, you had to start counting which track it would be. Didn't I screw it up at least ever few weeks by either miscounting the tracks or placing the needle incorrectly so that the song was already started when I turned up the volume? At the time is was embarrassing, but now I just break out in laughter!

• Kep
    Kep

Freedom,

I remember we had live music in the hall, it was really nice to have a guitar, piano and other instruments playing.

And yes, we had a young talented pianist who also added flavour to the music, and yes he was hammered for it. However, one elder told him privately he enjoyed the feel and vibe he gave to his playing and the music.

Unfortunately this elder stepped down and our pianist had his hand smacked so many times. One stuck up, jumped up pr*ck of elder was always picking on him. It was the typical borg mentality, this is how it has been written by the society, so you do it their way or else you are outta here !!

Yeah the musicians sounded good and got some admiration and appreciation from the cong, but I noticed that certain elders too exception to that and used the tapes as an excuse to shaft the orchestra.

We even had a really good orchestra for the circuit assemblies, those were the days....

Kep

• Francois
    Francois

There is nothing melodious about anything in that kingdom tunes book, they've even screwed up the stuff they stole from Beethoven.

My grandmother used to play the kingdom tunes at the KH. It was a riot. She had a tin ear and the sense of syncopation and rhythym of a ruptured duck. She'd play two or three bars from the treble clef, then she'd play the ones she'd left out from the bass. then back to the treble.... It was hilarious people who sung to the tune were always about three bars ahead of those who sang to the beat. You hadda be there I guess, but the musicians here will know what I mean.

francois

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Kep

I have pics of the orchestra days, do you want me to post them?? Might even be able to find a pic of one of the musicians with flowers in his hair if I really dig into my memorabilia treasures

Freedom

I still have some of the tunes in my head...can't seem to get them out, I need someone to lay their hands on me and say 'be gone demonz'...when we were kids we were smacked for humming xmas tunes or happy birthday...i wish someone would smack me for humming 'if youuuu keep your eyessss..on the priiiiizzzeeee' bah!!

Beck

• Kep
    Kep

Beck,

"i wish someone would smack me..."

Don't tempt me..... and please no flower pics, or orchestra pics, sheesh those days are gone now, let it be...

I know where you live....

Kep

• minimus
    minimus

Isn't it amazing that after all the decades singing those songs, we still don't know the melodies?

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

The singing in the hall, just told me all the more that there are way to many tone deaf people in cults!!

• Quotes
    Quotes

OK, Minimus will now stand and sing Song 225.

Drawing

ClosetoJehovah

(Psalm 73:28)

1. Your favor, O Jehovah,

Is something we hold dear.

As your devoted children,

We will to you keep near.

It is the finest treasure

To have you as our Friend.

Your love is pure, makes us secure.

Our thanks to you ascend.

2. Since you, as our Great Shepherd,