KIngdom Melodies

by freedom96 26 Replies latest jw friends

• link
  • TTBoy
    TTBoy

Uggggg!! Link you're evil!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Hmm, I don't know if these are funny stories or not . . . . I played piano at the KH for years and even at the circuit assemblies. At the assemblies was this old guy, Br. Germanich, who fancied himself a famous conductor (a la Squidward in "Sponge Bob Square Pants") and bemoaned the old days of a full orchestra. So he made do with me and gave me stern instructions on how I was to watch him (well, how the hell was I supposed to read music and watch him at the same time???) and follow his movements. Yeah, right. I had a sister, older and wiser than I, tell me that once he was up on the stage conducting it didn't matter what I did because he couldn't stop me anyway, so that cheered me up. There were occasions, however, when he would get mad at me for an off rhythm or something and his wand would go from the audience to my direction, coupled with a vicious frown, as he stabbed the air trying to get me to behave.

When the new songbook came out in 1984 (was that it?), I hated it with a passion. Someone got delusions of grandeur while composing, and no one could sing some of those songs, and I certainly had a hard time playing them. I was really relieved when we switched over to the tapes permanently. I kept telling myself it was a great privilege, but all it did was make me REALLY nervous most of the time.

• Mutz
    Mutz

We were once given a singing lesson (major brow beating guilt trip) by a C\O. First the brothers had to stand and sing and were then bollocked for not singing loud enough, then it was the turn of the sisters to go through the same embarassing ordeal. It makes my skin crawl to think how I put up with that shite.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

LOL@Francois

@Farkel - Uh oh!

I liked some of the songs, but many of them were written so poorly. Sorry, but I'm not trying to be rude. Even many of the chord indicators (semi-figured bass) were wrong, too. I wondered if any of the editors had any proper knowledge of chord progression. In modern day anything goes, but as far as songs for the public, they should study more of Christendom's songs.

When I was in college, there were some hymn books at the school library including that of Mormons. I didn't looked into Mormons' song book, but I was glad that they didn't have JW's song book. It could have been such an embarrassment.

• QUEENIE
    QUEENIE

KINGDOM MELODIES sung by Randy Watters / Simon our moderator and Mark Palo ... anyone got any better ideas...??? QUEENIE

• home_and_dry
    home_and_dry

I remember when the 'new' songbook came out (early-mid eighties?) and we had a specially organised meeting one friday night just to learn some of the new songs. Everyone who didn't bother turning up got plenty of raised eyebrow looks at the next meeting.

There was this one elders wife in my cong who honestly believed she was the worlds greatest opera singer. She even had an authentic heaving bosom just to add to the effect lol. If you had the misfortune to sit within about six rows of her at any meeting, your ears would be ringing for hours afterwards.

She never used the songbook either. She made one comment at a meeting once about how she practised the songs for each meeting as part of her pre-study. And also had a dig at us young 'uns by saying that 'most youngsters know 'popular' songs off by heart, and so how much more important would it be to know all of Jehovah's music?'

So there she was, at every meeting giving it loads with all these dramatic hand gestures whilst singing a second or so behind everyone else, just to make sure everyone could hear her gob. Hilarious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit