Have you ever seen a JW with a beard?

by SpannerintheWorks 31 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

Only one. His name was/is Bill (I forget his last name). A real cool dude... down to earth.

He was an elder when I met him in and had a full beard. Supposedly had a skin condition and a "permit" from his dermatologist to grow it. I remember being so shocked to see, not only a brother in good standing but AN ELDER with a beard that I took a couple photos that I still have around here somewhere.

When he and his model wife (Karen) moved to , he wasn't reappointed for years. Went 'round and 'round with the local body and even had the CO and his former elder body get in on the discussions. Don't know whatever became of it. (This was in 1991/1992.)

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

TR said, "He actually questioned my 'spirituality' because I didn't want to shave at the lake on vacation!"

Wrong, TR, he questioned your spirituality not because you went four days without shaving, but because you went four days without shaving for a meeting - or, presumably, going to one! We shouldn't take vacations from Jehovah.

Oops, sorry, I think I'm channeling my sister. Who's alive and all, but still. Ain't it funny how as JW's we always had the pat answers that made things the fault of the complainer? Like the bearded elder teejay mentioned; I have no doubt that someone cited his "attitude" as a problem, even if the attitude was entirely based on his knowledge that there was nothing wrong with him having a beard.

I knew a fellow who used the "skin condition" excuse. As is probably often the case, the condition was b.s. His father later took to wearing a beard during the winter, because he "works outside."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit