Have you ever seen a JW with a beard?

by SpannerintheWorks 31 Replies latest jw friends

• alfie
    alfie

When I first became a witness, I wore a beard and continued to wear one for a number of years. Very few in the congregation ever bothered me about it, and one elder even wanted to reccommend me for MS in spite of the beard.

CIAO4NIAO!!

alfie

• dsgal
    dsgal

I have never seen a JW with a beard.My brother was advised by his study conductor to shave his beard when he was considering baptism.

• hungarian xjw
    hungarian xjw

In hungary i look pioneer with beard.

But otherside in our congr. a man cant baptised until was beard.

Z.

• ballistic
    ballistic

may I?

In Hungary I was a pioneer with a beard.

However, in our congregation a man could not be baptised while he had a beard.

or do you mean now in a new congregation?

Edited by - ballistic on 16 September 2002 14:27:24

• Mulan
    Mulan

In our circuit there were two men with beards. One had a skin condition, and the other hated to shave. Both were denied privileges.

In the early 1980's a very beloved elder had skin cancer, and grew a beard to cover the tumors on his face. No one said a word. He died a few months later.

One prominent elder, grew one just to show it could be done. No one dared to question him. He was a substitute CO, member of the regional building committee, a former missionary, and a charter member at Brooklyn (signer on the charter, so went to all the yearly meetings back there). He is the only one I know of who got away with it.

Occasionally men from our congregation would go to Alaska to work. They would come home with beards, saying everyone in the congregation up there, had one. My husband went there to work, and told us no one had a beard. That was interesting.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I wore a beard (active witness duty) for a year or so with a doctors note. It was a stress related condition caused by a situation that was aided by non trained elders handlling a domestic situation I was part off.

I caught a lot of crap for the whiskers on an official level. But I was in the doghouse with the other issues anyway. During the next 4 or 5 years or so I wore a beard during the winter and was tolerated. Of course by that time my "zeal" had slackened so the BOE did not expect much from me anyway.

The beard did get good reviews from most of the sisters in the congregation. Wonder why?

• RN
    RN

The beard also got good reviews from your baby sis. Would love to see you grow it back!

RN

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

My brother in law moved here from England a few years ago.He was asked to be in a drama.In the drama the character he was playing had to have a beard.My b-i-l thought great!now I can grow a beard for the part.The brothers told him he couldn't! He is an elder himself,and he said that in England it is not a big deal,that a lot of brothers have beards.They told him it's different in America,so they wouldn't let him!And here he was only trying to make his character true to life.

• gumby
    gumby

Robdar....Skully....Alfie

What city, on what planet, in what kind of a Hall...... were you guys at????

NEVER.....have I ever seen or heard of Elders, Servants, Baptismal assistants, or ANYONE with a position..........EVER....wearing beards!

You people have REALLY seen such things? I can believe the SPECIAL circumstances beard.........but to believe a brother could hold a position with a beard because he wanted to wear one is beyond me!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

In Ireland, at least, elders can have beards, but they can't give talks at other congregations or take part in assemblies or do anything at Bethel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit