Can "Wordly" people go to book studies?

by Double Edge 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas

It was said: "'By a show of hands, how many pedophiles are here in this room?'"

Then you might say: "Oh ... that's right. I guess you'd prefer to keep quiet about it. Okay, thanks anyway."

• minimus
    minimus

Yes,but they may have to take their shoes off first.

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Yes, but would you want to

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

DevonMcBride said:

A few months prior to going to the BS (book study), I showed my newly baptised friend copies of old WT publications about the false prophecies, Beth Sarim and Russell using Pyramidology.

That was GREAT -- I don't know why, but I've never called the Book Study what it should be called like you did -- BS! LOL

The Watchtower Society HATES the Noble Beroeans (from Acts 17:10-12), so much in fact, that in their September 15th 2002 Watchtower, they changed "Be like the Beroeans" into meaning "Do NOT be like the Beroeans"!

Isn't mind-control a wonderful thing? NOT!

Acts 17:10: The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Beroea. When they arrived, they went into the Jewish synagogue.
    Acts 17:11: Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the Word with all readiness of the mind, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.
    Acts 17:12: Many of them therefore believed; also of the prominent Greek women, and not a few men.

Here are some different Translations of Acts 17:11:

(ALT) Now these were more noble-minded [than] the [ones] in Thessalonica, who received the word with all [fig., great] eagerness, every day examining the Scriptures [to see] if these things might be so.

(ASV) Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of the mind, examining the Scriptures daily, whether these things were so.

(BBE) Now these were more noble than the Jews of Thessalonica, for they gave serious attention to the word, searching in the holy Writings every day, to see if these things were so.

(CEV) The people in Berea were much nicer than those in Thessalonica, and they gladly accepted the message. Day after day they studied the Scriptures to see if these things were true.

(Darby) And these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, receiving the word with all readiness of mind, daily searching the scriptures if these things were so.

(DRB) Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, who received the word with all eagerness, daily searching the scriptures, whether these things were so.

(GNB) The people there were more open-minded than the people in Thessalonica. They listened to the message with great eagerness, and every day they studied the Scriptures to see if what Paul said was really true.

(GW) The people of Berea were more open-minded than the people of Thessalonica. They were very willing to receive God's message, and every day they carefully examined the Scriptures to see if what Paul said was true.

(ISV) These people were more receptive than those in Thessalonica. They were very willing to receive the message, and every day they carefully examined the Scriptures to see if those things were so.

(KJV) These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the Scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

(KJVA) These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the Scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

(LITV) And these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, for they received the Word with all readiness, daily examining the Scriptures if these things are so.

(MKJV) And these were more noble than those of Thessalonica, in that they received the Word with all readiness of mind and searched the Scriptures daily to see if those things were so.

(RSV) Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessaloni'ca, for they received the word with all eagerness, examining the scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

(RSVA) Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessaloni'ca, for they received the word with all eagerness, examining the scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

(WEB) Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of the mind, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

(Webster) These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

(WNT) The Jews at Beroea were of a nobler disposition than those in Thessalonica, for they very readily received the Message, and day after day searched the Scriptures to see whether it was as Paul stated.

(YLT) and these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, they received the word with all readiness of mind, every day examining the Writings whether those things were so;

• ISP
    ISP

You can go to the book study....but only if you are invited...or you are a bible study.

ISP

• Darkhorse
    Darkhorse

Question from another worldly person.

Will JW's consider a person who asks too many questions a "trouble maker".

I by nature have always been a very curious person and if something does not make sense to me or if I want further information about something, I will ask questions.

In my job, I have been futher encouraged and trained to work very independently and to ask questions (many depending upon the types of answers I may receive - especially if the answers do not make sense) in order to analyze data to come to accurate conclusions.

Would I be considered by some JW's to be a very bad association?

• rocky220
    rocky220

It's about MIND CONTROL......If you ask too many questions.....you disrupt the whole program in bending everybody present into Borgdomhood......and study conductor cant allow you to do that!!!!

rocky220

• mamashel
    mamashel

Rocky220 is absulutely correct. The book study conductor runs the show. He will never allow too many questions, and will ask you to save them for after the book study. The book study is strictly for them to read to you what the society has written and you answer the questions at the bottom of the page according to the paragraph. No giving your own opinion. That is a nono.

If I were you, I would do your own research on it, (Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz is an excellent book for info on the org) and then you can realize it is not even worth your curiossity.

mamashel

• Englishman
    Englishman

What about a DF'd person?

If it is OK, and the book study is held in a private home, how does he sit at the back?

Englishman.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

A DF/DA person cannot attend a book study in a private home. Period.

You weren't thinking about going, were you, old son?

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit