Unresolved anger or overwhelming sadness?

by LDH 14 Replies latest jw friends

• JR93
    JR93

Both.

For example, like Zev, I too was horrified to read in Crisis of Conscience about the Malawi/Mexico double standard. It's what put me over the top. Absolutely wicked. I was disgusted and ANGRY!!!

Rereading the book (after loaning it to a friend), when I came to that same chapter, I was so ineffably SAD that I had to put the book down and have not taken it up again since. What evil men (blind, too!)!!!

And how foolish and blind I was to put so much faith in them and their local representatives...

JR93

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

I'd definately have to vote for both, too.

I'm angry when I hear my five year old quoting her father's JW-isms, and when she feels she can't tell him
    what she's really feeling because she knows already, at this young age, that he'd rather hear the'right
    answer than what she really feels in her heart.

I get angry when my sister insists that I'm under the influence of Satan just for thinking for myself.
    When my mother mindlessly obeys Society decrees that even she knows are ridiculous, just because
    "it's Jehovah's Organization and I'll be faithful until I die"

I'm overwhelmingly sad when I hear about my closer-than-sisters cousins. Knowing that they can't
    just pick up the phone and call me when they miss me. My last memory of them is of them hugging me,
    crying and telling me that I "have to come back".

Some days the sadness is so much I can't look at the websites. Sometimes I can't even work on my own
    webpage because I just can't think about it another moment. I want to be free, I want to just leave
    it all behind. Then I get another letter from someone who is where I was and I just can't turn away.

I want freedom from the whole mess for myself, my daughter, and my poor husband, who has
    never been a witness and shakes his head daily, totally unable to understand the mindset.

I guess I'm just working toward that freedom one day at a time, and until then taking the emotions
    as they come.

I didn't have professional help about leaving the JW's but I had it before that: and I know that it helped.
    I would definately tell anyone who is overwhelmed to find a good therapist. That means that you
    keep looking and trying them out until you find one you can really talk to. It's worth it.

Peace,
    Essie

The Four Agreements:
    Be Impeccable With Your Word
    Don't Take Anything Personally
    Don't Make Assumptions
    Always Do Your Best

• Simon
    Simon

Definitely both...

Anger at what they have already done to people.

Sadness that they are and will be people who still fall for it.

• trevor
    trevor

LDH,

That's a good question. I think the anger comes first and lasts for many years, then it is replaced
    by a sadness. I feel a sadness for the deluded lives my family live. They have been robbed of
    their chance to grow in this lifetime. They shun me and this causes them pain and it is all such
    a waste. I wish they could know what it is like to live in freedom and allow their minds to travel to
    wherever life takes them - without the mind numbing restrictions that the Watchtower places on
    them mentaly and emotionaly.

• unanswered
    unanswered

lisa-good question, i have definitely had my share of both emotions. i used to be very angry at the way myself and others were treated with so little compassion, and i still get mad once in awhile. now when i think about it, i am mostly just sad that i have to be so misunderstood by my family, that they have to view me as "blind". my eyes are more open now than they ever were. at least both these emotions(anger and sadness) have gotten a lot easier to deal with. i empathize with all the feelings on this thread:)-nate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit