Where would it do the most good?

by kevin221 13 Replies latest jw friends

• kevin221
    kevin221

Greetings to all,

I need some comments and or suggestions. Much to my surprise I was contacted by my attorney this morning and he has collected the judgement that I was awarded from my lawsuit with Jons' father. After attorney fees it comes to about $12,000.00.

I've decided to donate the money to charity, but I can't decide where it might do the most good. I've narrowed it down to the cancer society, the AIDS foundation, or the local battered womens shelter.

Any suggestions? Also if there is a needy charity that you think may need it, please advise.

Thanks and take care,

Kevin

• talley
    talley

your local battered womens' shelter or Silentlambs.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Hi (((((((((Kevin))))))))),

If you really want to donate the money. Why not donate to the Cancer society in JonJons name?

Lilacs

Edited to ad link: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=36379&site=3

As you can see it would help others who do not have the means to pay for treatment.

Edited by - Lilacs on 10 September 2002 21:0:3

• Crystal
    Crystal

Put it in your savings account and draw intrest.One day it will come to you what you need to do with it.

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

I would gladly accept your donation ... but in reality, I would think of setting up some scholarships with a criteria that would reflect the values and thoughts of the person it was named after.

Edited by - kenpodragon on 10 September 2002 21:20:7

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Giving to charity is such a personal choice. What is important to me, may not be that important to you. All the organizations you named are worthy. Why not just divide the money three ways and give an equal amount to all of them?

And, I just LOVE that the money is going to come from Jon's Dad!

Andee

• Xena
    Xena

Kevin,

Keep a litte and do something special for YOURSELF! You deserve it Kevin.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hi Kevin

Going with Crystal on this one. I think you should investigate any charity before you make a sizable donation like that. In the meantime, invest it and give yourself some time to do some research...then use the interest for any related expenses, ie. phone calls, time etc.

Whatever you do, don't give it to the WT!!

Beck

• Farkel
    Farkel

The Salvation Army has the lowest overhead of all charities to my knowledge. It's around 6%. That means 94 cents on every dollar is used to help people in need.

But, like others have said, donating to charities is a very personal thing. The United Way and other mega-charities are so loaded with overhead, you might as well make the check out to the corporate officers.

Farkel

• LB
    LB

12k is a fair chunk of change, but it really won't change anyones life over the long haul I'd bet. I'm with Xena on this one. I say enjoy yourself. Take a wonderful trip someplace that you two always dreamed of going.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit