question

by Realist 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Realist
    Realist

hi everyone!

i have a short question.

while you were in the truth would have been impressed by the quotes on the quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com page about 1914 and all the other wrong prophecies or would you have simply ignored or denied the accuracy of the quotes?

would that have caused doubts or would you have found a way to rationalize the obvious lies?

thanks a lot!

Realist

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Like every other JW, I had my ApostoShields that would pop up at the first sign of opposition. It didn't matter what the information was... it was WRONG and the JWs were RIGHT.

• stichione
    stichione

I probably would have found a way to rationalize all the embarassing information. Afterall, it was my duty to do so since this was the ONLY organization through which I could gain salvation. I look back at myself now and am amazed at how stupid I was.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I remember one particular WT study on a Sunday morning back in the mid 80's. It was their explanation how they thought Jesus was Michael the Archangel. I remember the WT quoting the scripture in Thess. where it says "coming with a voice of an archangel" which meant to them that the was the Archangel. Plus they said Michael meant "who is like God" and who is like God other than Jesus. Then they said something about the angel part being a messenger, as who is the Greatest Messenger, Jesus. I remember thinking, what a bunch of crappola in the back of my mind at the time. I never believed Jesus was Michael the Archangel. I couldn't fathom their justification for that belief.

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

I would have thought it was just a way of Satan and his demons to pull us out of the "truth". I see how narrow minded I once was!

• Realist
    Realist

if this strong evidence didn't convince you what did?

is it an accumulative effect? after hearing that the WT is shit for the 1000s time it snaps and you said to yourself ...ok this is indeed nonsense?

• Realist
    Realist

also would you have agreed to look up the quotes in question...and if validated would that have caused doubts?

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Realist,

I guess that pretty much sums it up....sad isn't it?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Actually, I believe that this information would have shaken me deeply, causing me to look further. It likely would have begun to break down the mind control. it was, in fact, this type of information that did start me on the way out.

Since JWs recognize no authority other than the Society, I have always felt that the only way to get through to them is by using direct quotes from their own words.

I truly wish that this information was available and accessible 20 years ago. Leaving would have been much easier, then.

• abbagail
    abbagail

I have to agree with Elsewhere - my ApostoShield would have always been up, no matter what. It took love and romance to get me out!

Seriously, some seem to leave because of their brains and their intellect, and others leave (and/or "wise up" long after having left) due to emotional issues, such as Silent Lambs (which is what made my "bell" go off, and THEN I was open to reading and believing the quotes/facts, etc. etc.)

Grits

Edited by - Grits on 9 September 2002 17:32:7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit