Athiest Moral Code?

by Xena 18 Replies latest jw friends

• 2SYN
    2SYN

This athiest doesn't like the Bible much (to put it lightly ), but thinks that Jesus' second law is a good one all round to live your life by.

• freeman
    freeman

Atheist, or more correctly agnostics, from my encounters with them are among the most moral and ethical people I know of. History is replete with religious people perpetrating some of the most heinous crimes against humanity known. Atheists have been known to also commit astonishing atrocities, however they come in a poor second in the bloodshed race.

Agnostics as distinguished from atheists, IMHO have the least blood on their hands. Im not an authority on the subject; these are just my observations.

Freeman

• gumby
    gumby

Quote from article: An atheist may agree with most of the Judeo-Christian moral ethic. The motivation is different though - the atheist will not do these things because of a belief in God. Becoming an atheist will not make someone automatically a better father, husband, wife, mother, son, daughter or neighbour it won't make them a worse person either.

Just the opposite of many Christians. How many Christians and dubs would do thing different it it weren't for Bible or Organisational rules? How many mates would divorce the other were it not for these rules?

Many or most Christians/dubs would not do what their heart tells them is right if it disagrees with the Bible/Org. An atheist would. Their beliefs center on what they feel is logical or proven truths.

I have no problem with NT moral codes. They work. Honesty, fidelity, kindness, truthfulness.....however.........many other cultures who have never seen a bible have these same moral codes. Many moral codes are built in us.....we know right from wrong on many issues.

• Xena
    Xena

Suggestions for the Atheist Belief Code

1. do to others the things that you would want others to do to you - don't do to others things you wouldn't want done to you
    2. help others when it is in your power to do so - don't "leave it to the social agencies" - but don't help others so much that it hurts you or your family
    3. don't feel guilty if you are not able to live up to the Atheist Belief Code - tomorrow is another day and another opportunity to improve - remember there is no god keeping score
    4. we believe that we are all responsible for our choices and our lives
    5. we choose to show respect to others be they human or not
    6. I will educate myself on how to create what I want in every aspect of my life which will still honour the the choices of others - (thanks to G.D.C. for these three)
    7. all things are possible - so I will not limit my potential with a negative outlook
    8. people have a right to know the truth therefore I will not help perpetuate a deception by action or inaction
    9. THINK FOR YOURSELF !! ( thanks to Brian Taylor for this one)
    10. You have freedom of choice and action as long as your actions don't harm anybody.
    11. We are part of a fragile biosphere, just another species, not better, not worse, so we have to respect other species as we respect ours.
    12. Never take for granted that something written is true just because it is in paper. Do research.
    13. Respect other peoples belief as long as they respect yours. Some people need religion because they don't have the capacity to reason. (thanks to Vimary Rodriguez and Marcos A. Rosado)

Bascially do unto others, yes? I suppose the difference lies in the reason for doing these things and the underlying philosophy behind them. Also this appears to allow for more freedom of expression/action and less guilt.

BTW thank you for the link jjrizo!

So then religions ethics are not automatically better than athiest. I found this statistic interesting:

The 1990 US Survey shows that about 10% of the population of the United States are atheists. A prison survey conducted at about the same time places the percentage of atheists behind bars at closer to 1%. What does this tell us about religious ethics? Shouldn't the prison population be closer to 99% atheist, if atheists have no ethics.

Thank you all for your comments! And expat I am planning on reading Euthyphro later this afternoon ( I have to get SOMETHING done around the house today ) and will get back with you later on that, thank you for providing that information and link!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

You don't have to look far to see what a godless society looks like. I invite your attention to Maoist China and Stalinist Russia.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Oh poor Yerusalyim, your god has instilled so much hate in you... come here... let me give you a big hug.

(((((Yerusalyim)))))

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    ( I have to get SOMETHING done around the house today

Bah! Housework is for Christians!

Expatbrit

• COMF
    COMF

It has nothing to do with religion or the lack thereof. It's all up to the individual.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

You don't have to look far to see what a godless society looks like. I invite your attention to Maoist China and Stalinist Russia.

You don't have to look far to see what a god-ruled society looks like. I invite your attention to (take your pick) any one of several South American countries, which are deeply Catholic. I also invite your attention to the little thing call the crusades, and a little thing called the Inquisition . Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!! <shameless Monty Python quote>

Two can play that game. People are people and people in power tend to abuse it if they can. Putting 'god' into the picture is just one method of controling people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit