Athiest Moral Code?

by Xena 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

I was talking with an athiest friend the other day and he brought up the subject of how society in general has been governed by the christian moral code. Some christians apparently predict chaos in society if an athiest moral code ever replaced the christian one. This made me wonder....What is the Athiest Moral Code? Is there one? What is it comprised of and how does it differ from the christian moral code?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Xena:

The basis of the atheist moral code is the same as the basis of the believer's moral code: self interest. Whether that self-interest is the brutal form or enlightened self-interest depends on the level of social development of the individual.

The idea that God provides an absolute moral code was demolished thousands of years ago by Plato. I recommend reading Euthyphro, it'll only take a half hour or so.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/euthyfro.html

Expatbrit

Edited by - expatbrit on 7 September 2002 23:51:6

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Some christians apparently predict chaos in society if an athiest moral code ever replaced the christian one

well there is the key. considering it is christians talking about this "atheist code" you can assume it is the polar opposite (in their minds) of the Christian code and involves selfishness, Godlessness and debased behaviour. By the same token, as they think in polarities if their Christian code brings utopia, then of course The Atheist code brings chaos and ruin. Obvious isnt it!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Morals are defined by consensus of a population... be they from gawd or an athiest.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

BTW... I hear gawd is an atheist... maybe you should ask him.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Between the atheists I've known and the Christians I've known I've found the atheist to be more moral by current societies standards. As with everything it is up to the individual. You can have a good christian (Mother Teresa) and a bad christian (Hitler). Good atheist (Carl Sagan) and bad atheist (Stalin).

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

gsx1138, excellent point!

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

The ultimate goal of course, is to convert all of these nasty monotheists and atheists to PAGANISM!!

YAAAYY!! Let the healing begin!

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Of course the main tennet of the paganism that I practice forbids converting anyone or convincing them their God is wrong. I don't always agree with this but I do abide by it as much as I can.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Of course the main tennet of the paganism that I practice forbids converting anyone or convincing them their God is wrong.

Hmm, sounds rather like the Prime Directive from Star Trek!

I couldn't help but notice this one from the link of suggested atheist moral code page:

9.THINK FOR YOURSELF !! ( thanks to Brian Taylor for this one)

Does anyone else see the irony here? You should think for yourself, but evidently a guy named Brian Taylor helped the author think up that one. But this is just an observation, nothing about athiests in particular. The thing about any "code" or practice of course is that it's basically dead. I mean, it's fine to say ok, we all looked at this and it's a good idea, but all too often the people who are for this forget the point of it all. There seems to be a lot of this in the Buddhist communities I am around, they talk about practice - or sitting meditation, if they're smart they'll have a more inclusive defintion, but nevertheless it is inevitably a dead definition. It reminds me of the video game about Cyberpunks where there is a religious house of worship called the "House of Pong" where they worship the first joystick. You can bet those people are not having any fun, which is the point of video games isn't it? Likewise it seems to be like that with how people approach life through a set of rules. It's not that those things are not* a good idea, but I guess people focus more on the idea of things being a rule rather than what the hell the rule is. God, what morons. (mind you, I'm sort of a Buddhist myself, but only on Tuesdays)

*edited for.. that

Edited by - Introspection on 8 September 2002 1:37:5

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit