Theocratic Warfare, Virus Style

by Stephanus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• siegswife
    siegswife

Someone tried to send me a virus today too! It was called 'goldfish'.

Not only that, I 've had 3 instances where I've received 'mailerdaemons' because emails sent from my addy that I didn't send came back.

I thought JW's too, because one of the bogus emails was being sent to Simon. Whoever it was, they're most likely familiar with this site, since this is the only place that I have my yahoo email listed.

Lea

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Yep, the modus operandi is obviously JW vs. Apostates/Opposers. For once I was feeling that maybe I was really annoying someone, but it seems that the fact that I post here is the only reason.

Does Comforter really shag sheep, D8ta? That would explain a lot!

• link
    link

I am a newbie who only started posting a few weeks ago. Since I started posting I have also started to receive e-mails containing viruses and my e-mail address is not open. Almost everything that has happened to the posters above, has happened to me. Can anyone explain?

The timing could be coincidence but it seems to be happening to posters from all over the world not just here in the U.K.

I have limited (very limited) computer knowledge but I do have a virus scanner and never open attachments unless the sender is known to me although I think I have been caught out once on the "returned mail" con. My anti-virus system cleaned the file.

Unfortunately "computer speak" goes right over my head so I can't do much else to protect myself.

link

• Mackin
    Mackin

This behaviour is most likely an e-mail "spoofing" worm like Klez virus or one of its variants and not realted to posting on this board at all.

From the Symantec website: www.sarc.com

This worm often uses a technique known as "spoofing." When it performs its email routine. it can use a randomly chosen address that it finds on an infected computer as the "From:" address, numerous cases have been reported in which users of uninfected computers received complaints that they sent an infected message to someone else.

For example, Linda Anderson is using a computer that is infected with W32.Klez.H@mm. Linda is not using a antivirus program or does not have current virus definitions. When W32.Klez.H@mm performs its emailing routine, it finds the email address of Harold Logan. It inserts Harold's email address into the "From:" portion of an infected message that it then sends to Janet Bishop. Janet then contacts Harold and complains that he sent her an infected message, but when Harold scans his computer, Norton AntiVirus does not find anything--as would be expected--because his computer is not infected.

Mackin

• link
    link

Following on from my post above. The e-mails that I receive that contain the viruses contain nothing else. There is no message with the e-mail just an attachment which I never open.

When I click on the new post two things happen. Firstly my system automatically opens up my media player and at the same time a "pop up" tells me the attachment has a virus.I immediately get my anti virus system to kill the post.

It seems that someone is purposely sending me viruses for some reason unless it is spam which has got infected.

link

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Whoever is doing this stuff was busy last night. I opened my email this morning to find three of those virus mailings, less than 12 hours after I last logged out.

It's amazing that some people have nothing better to do with their time...

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze

Geez guys, time to stop the paranoia. You got KLEZ'd, that's all. No sinister WT plot. No Theocratic Warfare(TM), just somone on the board with a bunch of our email addresses in their address book who got infected with the KLEZ virus. I work in a fairly busy IT department at a private school, and this has been happening to our users for several monthes now. Just remember, if you receive an attachement from somone, check with that person first to make sure they actualy sent you one before you open it. If you suspect you've been infected with KLEZ, go to the following URL to get the removal tool.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.gen.html

Anton

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit