Theocratic Warfare, Virus Style

by Stephanus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I've been getting them too! A barrage of them has been hitting old Ozzie (the real one, Steph!), but as the song says, "I'm still standing".

Cheers, Ozzie

• SYN
    SYN

You guys'll all be safe, provided you don't open attachments.

Here is a scary thought: If you open your emails in a mail program such as Outlook that supports HTML email, you are basically asking for trouble, because of the huge number of holes in the Internet Explorer HTML component usually used to view those emails - it's a bit like Swiss Cheese mated with a Doily, there are so many bugs in it that a virus could use to entirely hijack your machine. There are two solutions to this particularly pesky little problem:

1. Force your email program to open ALL email in text-only mode, where a standard, virtually unbreakable text viewer is used instead of the huge, buggy IE HTML viewer.

2. Use a REAL operating system, such as Linux, Win2K or XP, or even MacOSX, and create an "Internet" user for yourself to use when checking email and browsing. Force this Internet User to have very low access privileges on your machine, such as the inability to read or write system files.

Those two tricks should keep you safe until some dastardly script kiddie invents a three-fold virus that can not only circumvent security locks on files AND do privilege escalation, but can also infect system files effectively enough to load itself up as root...if anyone ever makes a virus like that, we are all FOOK3D. Dontcha love computers?

• mustang
    mustang

I've been getting them sporadically for over a week. Our MIS/IT/IS crew at work has been on heightened alert for about two months. They have "locked out" emails such as Hotmail & Yahoo from our servers. There is a particularly bad "infection" "make the rounds".

Thing is, the last batch I received had FAMILIAR ADDRESSES in it. Somebody on JWD has been clobbered really bad and the virus got their address book. And I just got an Email from Dutchie. It got her. She is on a borrowed computer.

This thing is still spreading, so do what SYN suggested.

Do get rid of Outlook Express. The "Corporate/Industrial Strength" Outlook will stop these by allowing Anti-Virus Software to filter your email. I have heard more than one MIS guy/SysAdmin curse Outlook Express. Use something else to run your Email.

BTW, if it says "screen-saver for you, enjoy" or has an "intimate" greeting from some stranger, DON'T OPEN IT. Frankly, the safest is DON'T OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS!!!

Mustang

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I see dunsscot/comforter hasn't taken issue with the many others on this thread who believe this is a Dub plot.

Comfy, I'm not even reading your posts anymore - they're so incoherent that I don't bother trying to read beyond the first sentence. And when you start bothering to answer questions asked of you, you may start to see the favour returned.

• D8TA
    D8TA

IT IS COMFORTER sending viruses. There....you moron, want more "slander"?

Comforter sleeps with sheep, because his lazy ass can't get a girlfriend.

He's a frickin 24 year old male who lives in the great lakes area, thinking that this "baby" talk in the "third person" is "cute".

He is NOT, nor ever was associated with WTBTS ( aka: Jehovah Witnesses ).

Thought he does have a history with a 7th Day Adventists Church.

He is currently employed with a very low grade job, and is a high-school drop out.

He currently uses America Online as his ISP service.

He also likes to use various e-mail primarily thru yahoo, but uses other services as well.

This is not the only board he frequents and trolls, and uses the same god damn technique on those other boards.

I wonder if I should just come out and just give this and all the other boards this moron has been to....his PRIVATE information.

What can you do Comforter? Sue me? NOPE!

Call the police? THEY WONT HELP YOU!

How about this...call a federal agency.....

Like the:

F.B.I.

or perhaps

the U.S. Marshall Service

In fact. I INVITE you to call them. Please!

Let's see what happens?

Are you getting the "warning" yet silly boy?

D8TA

• ballistic
    ballistic

I agree it's probably this site they are getting the email addresses from, although I havent had any viruses. (starting to feel left out)

They must be targetting certain individuals.

• ISP
    ISP

There's a lot of that about steph....sending emails with viruses........I guess its all a sign of the 'last days'..

ISP

• comforter
    comforter

why would call the fbi dt? you is ded wrong about almost everything you say.

LOL

comfy

• comforter
    comforter

comfy do not send viruses. that would be rebellion against super authorities.

comfy

• ballistic
    ballistic

comforter stop playing stupid games with all this acting like an idiot. I know what you're up to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit