Why do men have nipples???

by Celtic 106 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

I always did wonder about this, I mean, what function do they have and further, if, just supposing that we are made in the image of God, does God Himself have the equivalent of nipples?

Any insights proffered?

Celty

edited for spelling error

Edited by - Celtic on 3 September 2002 10:7:21

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Ahhhhhhhh the internet

O his Moment of Science will answer a question that must have been gnawing at you since you first noticed that human males have nipples. What genetic glitch left human males with female features?

Male nipples aren't exactly a genetic glitch: they are evidence of our developmental clock. In the early stages of life from conception until about 14 weeks, all human fetuses look the same, regardless of gender. At the tender age of 14 weeks post-fertilization , genetically-male fetuses begin to produce male hormones including testosterone. These hormones turn the androgynous fetus into a bouncing baby boy.

Here's where the developmental clock comes in. By 14 weeks, when the hormones turn on, the nipples have already formed. So, while our male fetus goes on to become a baby boy, he keeps his nipples, reminding all of us that people, male and female, started off the same way.

In most men, the nipples really don't change after this point, but some men can develop a condition called gynecomastia. In gynecomastia, the fatty tissue around the nipple develops and eventually appears similar to a female breast. This can occur whenever the testosterone level is lowered by medications, such as those that treat prostate cancer, and by natural hormonal changes due to obesity, adolescence or aging.

Luckily, most of us don't worry too much about male nipples, so men never have to worry about finding swimtrunks and a bikini top that fit.

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Mmmmmmmmmm men's nipples. Toys! They exist to be licked and nibbled - a sexual connect the dots.

Mimilly

• dsgal
    dsgal

But do you think Adam had them,since he was never a fetus?

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Why do men have nipples?

Because God in all his wisdom, knew the day would come when women would get sick and tired of always caring for the kids all alone. A little hormone and ZAP, a Mom!! Man's nipples are there for when that day comes!

It could be any time now.

Life is so simple.

IW

• Been there
    Been there

dsgal,

How do we know Adam was not a fetus? Maybe he wasn't created a fully developed male?

Just wondered.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I read the title of this thread and laughed out loud......then I read Lilac's response and found it very interesting. So much so that I may just have to start a conversation on the issue of men's nipples today so that I can "share the information"! LOL

• dsgal
    dsgal

Been There,Then who's womb did he develop in?

• Been there
    Been there

dsgal,

No womb. If God could make a full grown man he could make a little blobb that just grows. Wombs only came into existance when Eve came along and God retired. Adam and Eve wanted company so they asked God for more like them. God said "Sorry guys you're on your own now I'm on vacation". God said "Oh alright, this one last thing, I'll give you a womb and you can make your own". Adam thought about it awhile, and told God "I think it would be to painful if I had them, give the womb to Eve". Eve thought about it and told God "Uh....I don't think so, sounds really painful to me give the womb to Adam". God was really anxious to get on with his vacation so like any good father, he flipped a coin, Eve lost, end of story. So guys consider yourselves lucky, if it weren't for the toss of a coin, and a little testosterone, you'd have a utarus too. (and not just nipples)

Edited by - Been There on 3 September 2002 11:20:53

• dsgal
    dsgal

Been There,

Okay,that sounds like a logical explanation so I will accept it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit