Elderette's letter

by DINKY 10 Replies latest jw friends

• DINKY
    DINKY

I recently came across this warm, encouraging letter I received from an elderette. Background info: After going to the elders twice for drug problems, and of course getting no help, I told them I had decided to see an outpatient detox doctor. Being depressed and scared, I needed support and so asked this "sister" to go with me (my bad). This is when I really began to fade away.

March 4, 2000

(Dinky),

I was looking at my calendar. It was on December 13, 1999, that I went with you to the doctor. I still remember you told the doctor that you were one of Jehovah's Witnesses and that your religion took up a lot of time in your life. That bothered me then and it bothers me now. When I call and you don't return the call, I know that something is up.

In the 12 weeks that have elapsed, we have had 60 hours of meetings and a two-day assembly. Is your religion still taking up a lot of your time? One thing we learned at the assembly was that Jehovah teaches his people to benefit themselves, Isa 48:17,18. You can't be taught if you don't go to school. I wonder if your doctor feels that he has accomplished anything.

Please evaluate what is going on because your life is involved. And remember your kids. You are in control of their lives also. If you need me, call.

Love,

(elderette)

Encouraging, huh? Yes, my life is involved. That's why I made a commitment to staying clean and alive - so I could help myself and my kids. My doctor did accomplish something: He encouraged me to go to 12-step meetings every day. (Funny, not the KH). December 13, 1999, is my clean date. I'm glad I did evaluate what was going on. I decided I was in a cult and needed to separate immediately. Ironically, the elders had no advice for my drug problems, but once I was seen smoking cigarettes, they were suddenly interested. I'm so grateful I never have to deal with this phony, hypocritical bitch ever again. Her P.O. husband sucks ass too.

Dinky

• dsgal
    dsgal

I'm not surprised.When my sister called off her study she got a much nastier letter from her study conductor condemning her for turning her back on Jehovah.They think the answer to everyone's problems is just to be at the meetings and go out in service.I know they don't approve of anyone getting help from a qualified professional because he might tell you to stop going to meetings.

• LB
    LB

In the 12 weeks that have elapsed, we have had 60 hours of meetings and a two-day assembly. Is your religion still taking up a lot of your time?

Yeah, that's a self serving BS statement if I've ever heard one.

• Faraon
    Faraon
    In the 12 weeks that have elapsed, we have had 60 hours of meetings and a two-day assembly. Is your religion still taking up a lot of your time?

Truth in Advertising disclaimer:

My husband will catch hell for giving you time to think on your own, and once you do that you'll get away from us and I'll lose status when it is known my husband cannot keep you in line.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I still remember you told the doctor that you were one of Jehovah's Witnesses and that your religion took up a lot of time in your life. That bothered me then and it bothers me now.

Yeah, when someone has the nerve to tell the truth about Watchtowerism it does tend to "bother" loyal braindead dubs.

Farkel

• Scully
    Scully

Dinky:

Isn't it amazing how they put on a pretense of caring, when their real aim is to make you feel guilt??

The statement that "did it" for me - which came from someone who had been my "best friend" for almost 10 years - when I was asking for help with depression was this:

"If you're going to turn your back on The Truth(tm), you might as well take your three beautiful children out in the back yard and blow their heads off with a gun. That way they won't go down with you at Armageddon(tm) and will get a Resurrection(tm) in the Paradise(tm)."

That was the crystal clear moment of epiphany where I realized that I'd given 25 years of my life to a cult. I got up and walked away from her and never looked back.

Love, Scully

• abbagail
    abbagail

Wow, Dink, that letter reeeeaaaalllly sucks! It has such a haughty-taughty tone to it. I do not denote even a microgram of compassion emanating from her. Sheesh. I don't even know the woman and I feel like clobbering her.

I was looking at my calendar. It was on December 13, 1999, that I went with you to the doctor.... In the 12 weeks that have elapsed, we have had 60 hours of meetings and a two-day assembly.

Nothing like an anal-retentive dub to have not only a JW Bible calendar to reference, but all the dates and figures and hours counted out and memorized. Sickening on its face, just looking at the words. Cold as Ice. I've got chill-bumps!

I still remember you told the doctor that you were one of Jehovah's Witnesses and that your religion took up a lot of time in your life. That bothered me then and it bothers me now.

WHAT bothers her? That you told the doc you were a dub with a drug problem? (Bring the gawd-awful SHAME on the WTS? And if she means the comment about religion taking up alot of your time, WHY does that bother HER so much? Ahhh, I remember: The Truth HURTS. She is "bothered" because you have the guts to say what no other JWs will 'fess up to.

When I call and you don't return the call, I know that something is up.

I don't know how loving this friend was prior to this letter and the appt. on 12/13/99, but she doesn't sound too much like a loving friend in this letter.

Is your religion still taking up a lot of your time?

What a flat-out snobbish self-righteous condemnatory thing to say. Eeeeeegads! I wanna slap her silly!

Here she talks to you like you're a child - clobber clobber!

You can't be taught if you don't go to school.

And I reeallly loathe people who have NO IDEA what they are talking about, such as:

I wonder if your doctor feels that he has accomplished anything.

I swear, empathy is non-existent. If they have never experienced it themselves (no matter WHAT it is), you can forget getting any understanding. I wish you could send her an Announcement of Sobriety celebrating your 2.5 year anniversary. And include the above sentence, that your doc (along with your own determination) was able to do what her precious 60 hours of meetings could not.

Please evaluate what is going on because your life is involved.

Like you hadn't long ago evaluated your life, hence, that is why you went to the doc in the first place. This "witch" doesn't have a CLUE!

And remember your kids. You are in control of their lives also.

The to-be-expected JW GUILT TRIP line. Two more clobbers for this babe!

If you need me, call.

I wouldn't call this chick if I was DYING.

Love,

Love, my Arse!

Not sure why this set me off, maybe it reminds me too much of how I would have acted when I was a dub, but I don't quite see me writing a letter quite this HAUGHTY. Self-righteous maybe, but this holier-than-thou Princess is Over the Top.

Congratulations on being clean for well over 2.5 years!

LOL @ LB, Faraon, Farkel!

And dsgal, really your sis got an even Nastier letter? How can dubs write nasty letters to people who are not even baptized for pete's sake? I guess the study conductor is mad 'cuz they won't win any brownie points for reeling in a newbie and/or one less "study" to chalk up on her time sheet. :-D

Grits

• LB
    LB

take your three beautiful children out in the back yard and blow their heads off with a gun
    The sad thing is I'm not shocked or even surprised by that comment.

I stopped attending not long after my mom died. I was visited by a couple of pioneer sisters that told me this....

I wish you'd come back, after the resurection I don't want to be the one who has to tell your mother you turned your back on Jehovah. That so pissed me off but it helped me get out. It was a typical comment. I told the group that for making that statement that "they were closer to death than me". I told them "they had judged me unworthy and themselves worthy of paradise. That they had taken the posistion already held by Christ. Good luck to you guys"

No more visits from the sisters

• abbagail
    abbagail

Scully, what a COLD-BLOODED-MURDEROUS comment! Unbelievable! I suppose no apology was ever forthcoming from this non-humanoid?

"If you're going to turn your back on The Truth(tm), you might as well take your three beautiful children out in the back yard and blow their heads off with a gun. That way they won't go down with you at Armageddon(tm) and will get a Resurrection(tm) in the Paradise(tm)."

The music in my head is humming, "Love Is In The Air" ...

I did get a chuckle, though: You win the prize for today: Four "TMs" in ONE sentence! LOL!

Grits

• dsgal
    dsgal

GRITS,

Yes,my sister who was not baptized got a VERY nasty letter when she quit her study.It nearly brought her to tears because she tried to make her feel she had lost her daughter's life.It was a typical scare tactic but after she read the letter she said there's no way she would ever have anything to do with witnesses again,and she never has.BTW,my neice is now 23 years old,happily married with a child of her own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit