THE SILENTLAMBS - QUEST TO PROTECT CHILDREN

by UnDisfellowshipped 17 Replies latest jw friends

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

This Page is to help everyone to have ONE PAGE on this Website that they can go to, to see ALL of News Articles, Television Transcripts, Quotes from Watchtower Spokesmen, and other Information about Bill Bowen, Sheila Bowen, Barbara Anderson, Joe Anderson, Carl Pandelo, Barbara Pandelo, Erica Rodriguez, and all of the other silentlambs' RIGHTEOUS QUEST TO PROTECT THE CHILDREN OF THE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Television Program Transcripts:

NBC DATELINE

WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

DATE: May 28th, 2002

ANNOUNCER Speaking: From our Studios in New York, here is Jane Pauley.

JANE PAULEY Speaking: Good evening. At some point it may stop being news--each time another person comes forward to say they were sexually abused as a child by a trusted religious figure--but not yet, though tonight it's not Priests under fire.
    In fact, our story began long before the Catholic Church scandal broke last January. The scenario of alleged abuse is much the same, but the consequences of coming forward, for people whose Faith was the center of their lives, would be harsh and profound. Here's John Larson.

JOHN LARSON (Dateline Reporter) Reporting:

In a small town like Othello, Washington, neighbors are often friends, and friends like family. Which makes the story you're about to hear even more painful. Because, for Erica Garza (Rodriguez), who grew up here, there was no one closer, no one she trusted more than her parents' best friend.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: You would have never known by looking at him, or by the way he acted what he was doing on the side.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: What that friend, Manuel Beliz, was doing was molesting Erica, sexually abusing her.She says it started when she was just five years old.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: I remember it just like it was yesterday.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: What was your reaction when he first started touching you?

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: I didn't know any better. I just remember it hurt.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: Out of anything, I just remember the hurt.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: A hurt that grew, she says, because her molester pressured her to keep it all a secret. And while that may not be surprising, this isn't a story about a molester trying to stay in the shadows. This is a story about others who may have played a role not only in Erica's abuse, but the abuse of
    other victims as well.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: They didn't care about what had happened. Everything they did was trying to hide the facts.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Both Erica and her molester were members of the same Church, Jehovah's Witnesses.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Jehovah's Witnesses are evangelical Christians best-known for going door-to-door handing out Awake! Magazine. Jehovah's Witnesses have 6 million members worldwide, and some controversial rules--no birthdays or Christmas, no blood transfusions, no military service, no saluting the
    flag--all of which separates them, sometimes even isolates them from mainstream America. In fact, in the world of Jehovah's Witnesses, anyone outside the Church--most of you watching tonight--are considered part of Satan's world, a world which, as depicted in the Church's Literature, will be destroyed by God.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: True Jehovah's Witnesses, those who closely follow the Church's Rules, will survive to live forever on a perfect earth.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: But now there are accusations that the Church, run out of its Headquarters in New York, called the Watchtower Society, is covering up cases of child molestation, protecting molesters and keeping secrets that put children at risk.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Consider what happened to Erica Garza. By the time she was 16, Erica's family had moved away from Othello to a new home and new Kingdom Hall in California where one day she found the courage to tell her family her terrible secret.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: And what did her father, Reuben Garza do?

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Report it to the Police?

Mr. REUBEN GARZA (ERICA'S FATHER) Speaking: No. Never mentioned report it to the Police. Take care of it in the Congregation.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Reuben Garza, who was one of the Church's Lay Ministers, or "Elders", says that's precisely what Jehovah's Witness Leaders had taught him. And so instead of going to the Police, he and his wife, Alexandra, called the Elders back in Othello.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: But let me say the obvious. I mean, your daughter's been raped. Didn't you think, `I've got to go to the Cops?'

Ms. ALEXANDRA GARZA (ERICA'S MOTHER) Speaking: That was my first reaction. But as a Witness, first you've got to go to the Elders when you have a problem.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: But the Elders didn't go to the Police, either. Why? Well, Legally, they didn't have to. Only 16 States require Clergy Members to Report any and all suspected child abuse, and Washington State is not one of them. Instead, Church Elders opened their own Internal Investigation. It's one of the things that sets Jehovah's Witnesses apart from most other Religious Groups. The Church has its own Judicial System.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Whenever a Church Member is accused of doing something wrong--whether it's breaking a Church Rule like smoking, committing a sin like adultery, or even committing a Crime like rape--the local Church appoints a Special Committee of Elders to Investigate the charge. Now, if the accused is found guilty, they can be reprimanded or, in worst cases, kicked out of the Church, Disfellowshipped, potentially cut off from their friends and family, losing their chance, they believe, at everlasting life. For a Jehovah's Witness, there can be no greater punishment.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Erica Garza expected her molester would, at the very least, be Disfellowshipped. But after five months of waiting for the Church in Othello to act, she got angry and did the unthinkable.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: So I called my Elders and I said, "Look, I'm taking it to the Police."

JOHN LARSON Speaking: What did they say?

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: "Don't. Or else."

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Or else what?

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: That's what I said. I said, "Or else what?" And he said, "Just don't." I said, "What? I'll be Disfellowshipped if I take it to the Police? Is that what's going to happen to me?" And he said, "Yes. You will be Disfellowshipped." And I was just, like, "What? You're going to Disfellowship me for being raped, yet the guy who raped me is still a Jehovah's Witness?" And they said, "Don't. Don't take it to the Police. You will be condemned by God."

JOHN LARSON Speaking: It was October 1996, and Erica says she finally decided whatever the penalty, she had to go to the Police. Following an Investigation, Manuel Beliz was charged with molestation and rape.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: And the Church? Erica says her California Kingdom Hall not only Shunned her, but Shunned her family as well.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: What happened?

Mr. GARZA (ERICA's FATHER) Speaking: I was removed as an Elder.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: So they kicked you out.

Mr. GARZA (ERICA'S FATHER) Speaking: Yes, they did.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Erica felt abused, abandoned by her Church and alone. But what she couldn't have known was that it would be 4 more years before another Jehovah's Witness, this time, an Elder 2,000 Miles away, would take a special interest in Erica's case. The Elder had uncovered Evidence, he says, that there were many more victims like Erica within Witness Kingdom Halls. And now he, too, was about to break with the Church and go outside into what Witnesses believe is the realm of Satan--the outside world--to expose the
    Church's Secrets.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: You talking to me right now, it's like you're talking to Satan.

Mr. BILL BOWEN Speaking: That's correct. I'm attacking God, is what they've said about it.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: In the view of the Church, sitting down with us right now (is attacking God).

Mr. BILL BOWEN Speaking: Yes.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Bill Bowen is a Candle-Maker in Kentucky, and a lifelong Jehovah's Witness. It all began, he says, about two years ago when he was filing Confidential Church Records at the Local Kingdom Hall and stumbled on this Letter. It described an admission dating back to the 1980s, a molestation case that he says the Church had swept under the rug.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: About how old was this child that was involved in this case?

Mr. BILL BOWEN Speaking: As I reviewed the material, it appeared to me she was about 11 years of age.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: And the admitted molester? A man Bowen knew well, a fellow Elder who got only a slap on the wrist from the Church as was never reported to Police.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Outraged, Bowen put a Message on the Internet to see if there were other similar cases. The response, he says, was an avalanche of pain and frustration.

Mr. BILL BOWEN Speaking: These were all Jehovah's Witnesses that had been molested and silenced within the Church.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Bill Bowen is not saying Jehovah's Witnesses have more molesters than any other Religious Group. The problem, he says, is how the Church handles the cases that come to its attention.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Like the case of Daniel Fitzwater, a Jehovah's Witness Elder in Nevada. Bowen discovered that according to the Church's own Internal Records, Church Officials knew of 17 girls who had accused Fitzwater of molesting them. But Police say the Church NEVER passed that information on to them.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Bowen also learned that in New Hampshire Paul Berry beat and sexually tortured his step-daughter, Holly Brewer, from the time she was 4. But Holly's mother says that when she complained to Church Elders that Berry was beating Holly and her other kids, the Elders told her to be a better wife and to pray more. She also says they NEVER informed Police as required by State Law. The Church denies that, saying she never told them of the abuse. Holly later ran away from home and says she disfigured herself with tattoos and piercings in response to the abuse.

Ms. HOLLY BREWER Speaking: It started out by me internalizing the pain. It really did. It started by me, "I want to mess myself up. I want to make myself look as ugly as I can. I don't want any guys to hit on me. I don't want to be attractive to people."

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Both Paul Berry in New Hampshire and Daniel Fitzwater in Nevada ultimately were convicted of sexual crimes and are now in prison. But Bill Bowen says many others in the Church accused of sexual abuse have NEVER been reported to Police. It's a claim he says he's heard, though not verified,
    from several hundred current and former Church Members.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: His conclusion: disturbing to day the least.

Mr. BILL BOWEN Speaking: It's a pedophile paradise within the Organization. I believe that.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: What's the danger that you've been consumed by this to the point that -- that you've blown it all out of proportion? I mean pedophile paradise? Come on.

Mr. BILL BOWEN Speaking: I believe it with all my heart.

Mr. BILL BOWEN Speaking: There is a massive problem in the Organization.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: But Bill Bowen is just one man in one Congregation in Kentucky.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: This woman, Barbara Anderson, worked for a decade inside Jehovah's Witness (Bethel) Headquarters. When Anderson saw Bowen's Messages on the Internet, she says she realized she had to tell him there was much more to the story, involving children in MANY of the 11,000 Congregations across the Country.

Mrs. BARBARA ANDERSON Speaking: I don't believe that they're safe within their Church.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Anderson was a Researcher at the Watchtower Society in the early 1990s when a Senior Official there asked her to look into the Church's handling of sexual abuse cases.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: What she found, she says, sickened her: hundreds of molestation cases on Record, all kept SECRET in Church Files -- SECRET not only from the outside world, but from the Members themselves, the families, the mothers and fathers and children who trust the Church is looking out for them.

Mrs. BARBARA ANDERSON Speaking: I believe that if they asked to see the Congregation Records, they will find that there are many Envelopes with Letters that discuss men -- or women -- in the Congregation that were accused of molesting a child.

********************************************************************************************
    The Following three Paragraphs were edited out of the Original Dateline Broadcast to fit into the Time Slot, but they were added back in when the Dateline Show Re-Aired in the weeks after the Original May 28th 2002 Broadcast:

JOHN LARSON Speaking: In fact, Anderson gave Dateline a Copy of this Letter written in 1992 by a Psycotherapist, a Jehovah's Witness himself, who said he'd treated many Witnesses who'd told him they had been molested, and he had personally dealt with a number of Elders who were more interested in suppressing a matter of abuse.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Did the research that you did, talking to these Therapists and Psychiatrists, and the victims themselves, did it change the way you thought about the Church and what was going on behind closed doors?

Mrs. BARBARA ANDERSON Speaking: Yes, because the Watchtower Society didn't want to acknowledge that these girls were telling the truth because they were accusing Elders of molesting them.

**********************************************************************************************

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Why would the Church want to keep these cases secret and in-house? Anderson agrees that part of the problem is the Church's distrust of the outside world, but she says it's not that simple. Anderson says when Church Elders Investigate crimes like child molestation, they follow instructions that may prevent them from taking action -- ancient instructions taken from the Bible itself.

Mrs. BARBARA ANDERSON Speaking: They basically use a Scripture in 1st Timothy 5:19 that states you're not to make an accusation against an older man unless there are two or three witnesses.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: What are the odds that there are going to be two or three witnesses to an older man molesting a 8-year-old girl?

Mrs. BARBARA ANDERSON Speaking: No molester is going to have any witnesses, that's for sure.

Mr. BILL BOWEN Speaking: The sum and total of their Investigation will be going to a pedophile and saying, "Did you do it? Nope? Well, OK. Guess we'd better go on then. Sorry we bothered you."

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Bill Bowen says if you want to get an idea of how the Church sweeps cases under the rug, just listen to part of a conversation Bowen Recorded a little over a year ago with an Official in the Jehovah's Witness (Bethel) Legal Department.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Bowen calls seeking advice on how to handle a suspected molestation case involving a young girl and her father. Instead of being told to report it to the Police, Bowen is told to confront the suspected abuser.

Bethel Headquarters #1 Speaking On the Phone: Good afternoon, Watchtower.

Bethel Headquarters Receptionist Speaking On the Phone: Good afternoon, Legal Department.

Bethel Headquarters #2 Speaking On the Phone: You just ask him again, "Now is there anything to this?" If he says "No," then I would walk away from it.

Mr. BILL BOWEN Speaking On the Phone: Yep.

Bethel Headquarters #2 Speaking On the Phone: Leave it for Jehovah. He'll bring it out.

Mr. BILL BOWEN Speaking On the Phone: Yep.

Bethel Headquarters #2 Speaking On the Phone: But don't get yourself in a jam.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Again, there was no insistence that this matter be brought to the Authorities in the outside world. Bowen says he was so upset by the whole case he resigned as a Church Elder and vowed to help abuse victims. He didn't know that halfway across the Country, Erica Garza as feeling the same frustration as she prepared to face her molester in Court.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Did any of those Elders, any of the people in the Church stand up and speak on your behalf?

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: No.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: But Erica Garza was about to find out that she wasn't really all alone.

Announcer Speaking: DATELINE NBC, winner of 10 Headliner Awards for Excellence in Journalism. America's most watched, most honored News Magazine, DATELINE, will be right back.

ANNOUNCER Speaking: From our Studios in Rockefeller Center, here is Stone Phillips.

STONE PHILLIPS Speaking: She was just 5 years old when she says she was first molested by a respected Member of her Jehovah's Witnesses Congregation. Now a young woman, Erica Garza wants justice. She says Church Leaders threatened to Expel her if she went to the Police, but she went anyway and now her alleged attacker is on Trial for molestation and rape. Here with the conclusion to our story, John Larson.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Erica Garza's accused molester, Manuel Beliz, showed up in Court with plenty of support.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: His side was full of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: People I thought were my friends, but they were there to support him. And on my side was my family.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Even though Beliz had apparently CONFESSED his crimes before Church Elders, it appeared to make little difference. He was Expelled from the Church, but only temporarily. Elders allowed him to rejoin the Church before the Trial.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: John White, the Congregation's Top Elder (Presiding Overseer), explained at a Court Hearing.

Mr. JOHN WHITE Speaking From the Recorded Court Trial Audio Tape: We're satisfied that he was repentant and could be admitted to the Congregation again. To us, we don't see a problem.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: White also told the Court that when a Church Member is called before the Elders and admits to a crime, they consider it a Religious Confession and that, just like a Priest or Rabbi, he and other Elders have good reason not to testify about it in Court.

Mr. JOHN WHITE Speaking From the Recorded Court Trial Audio Tape: Jehovah's Witnesses do not want to harbor criminals or dangerous people. But we want the Confidentiality because if that's taken away from us, why should a person ever confess anything?

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Did anybody say, "We understand the pain that this girl has gone through?"

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: They say we -- they feel sorry for me.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Even without the Church's help or the testimony of Elders who, Erica says, knew what had happened, in August of 1998 Manuel Beliz was convicted, Guilty on two counts of rape and two counts of child molestation. He was sentenced to 11 1/2 years in prison, but two years into his term, his conviction was overturned on a technicality over how the Jury had been selected. Erica had stood up, faced her abuser, even challenged her Church, but now he was being let out of prison.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: I was so disappointed, I was sad, I was heartbroken and I didn't know what to do.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Manuel Beliz was released from prison to await a new Trial.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Last summer DATELINE found him back at the Kingdom Hall, about to join others going door-to-door, evangelizing for the Church.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: It just makes me so sad because I was raped and I was -- I'm being Shunned, and he raped me and -- and he's being loved. It just -- it -- it gives me chills up my spine just to think about it.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: How do Jehovah's Witness Leaders respond to complaints that they're trying to bury cases like Erica's? They declined a request for an On-Camera Interview, but spoke to us Off-Camera, and provided us with a Video-Taped Policy Statement by Spokesman J.R. Brown.

Mr. J.R. BROWN (Watchtower Society's Main Spokesman) Speaking From the Video Tape: Jehovah's Witnesses feel child abuse is an evil. It's an evil of our time, it's an evil in our society and so we abhor it.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Church Officials say they publish Articles like this, educating Members and training Elders how to help abuse victims.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: The Church also says Elders are required to Investigate any allegations of abuse, and steps are taken to protect alleged victims from further abuse.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: And while Officials acknowledge that molesters who repent are readmitted to Church, they say known molesters are not allowed to hold a position of responsibility within the Church.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: They also insist that the Church complies with all Laws on reporting abuse in those States where it's required, even when there's only one witness to the crimes.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: But in States where Churches are not required to report, they say they do not discourage victims from reporting abuse to Authorities.

Mr. J.R. BROWN (Watchtower Society's Main Spokesman) Speaking From the Video Tape: When it comes to the matter of reporting, then that's something the parents can decide. We certainly never tell them not to report a case of child molestation.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: In a Letter to DATELINE, the Church's General Council adds that "it is possible that a few of the 77,799 Elders of Jehovah's Witnesses have not followed the direction that they have been given regarding investigating and reporting child abuse."

JOHN LARSON Speaking: What remains unanswered, though, is why the Church gets involved at all with investigating what are criminal matters. And just how often do they turn one of their own into Authorities? We asked the Church for some examples, proof that they're as tough as they say they are on Members who abuse children.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: The Church waited 6 MONTHS, but finally offered us 2 cases. And right away we noticed something. In both cases, the victims were Jehovah's Witnesses, but their alleged molesters were not.
    They were non-believers from outside the Church.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: In fact, we could only find 2 cases where the Church took an active role in turning in one of its own, including the case of this man, Clement Pandelo.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Pandelo, seen here in Family Videos confessed to Church Elders he'd molested his own granddaughter.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: How did the Church handle it? The parents of the young victim, Clement Pandelo's own son and daughter-in-law, Carl and Barbara Pandelo, also Jehovah's Witnesses, told DATELINE the Church pressured to agree to a deal in which Clement Pandelo pled Guilty to criminal sexual contact and endangering the welfare of a child. He was given only probation, NO jail time. And what did the Church Elders tell Barbara and Carl Pandelo?

Mr. CARL PANDELO Speaking: We should just let it go, that it's not Jehovah's time to deal with it.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: The Church says that's not true, and the Church apparently did Disfellowship Clement Pandelo 2 separate times. But each time they welcomed him back. So where is this CONVICTED CHILD MOLESTER today, a man who, according to Court Records, has admitted molesting girls ALL HIS LIFE?

JOHN LARSON Speaking: DATELINE found him going door-to-door, a Jehovah's Witness in Good Standing, evangelizing to people who know nothing about his record. His own son, Carl, says the Church should know better.

Mr. CARL PANDELO Speaking: He's a SEXUAL PREDATOR. When he goes door-to-door, he has a craving for young, juvenile girls, as he puts it. He's looking at that child, having those immoral thoughts in his mind while he's there.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: You know the Church now says they don't have a special problem. It's a societal problem and they do everything they can to stop pedophiles from hurting children within the Jehovah's Witness Church.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: What do you say to them?

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: Liars.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Even though her accused rapist had been freed on a technicality, Erica Garza was not about to let him off the hook.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Last summer, nearly 5 years after she first came forward, Erica headed back to Court.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Once again, not one Jehovah's Witness from her former Church came to support her. But this time, she wasn't alone.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: That out-spoken Elder from Kentucky, Bill Bowen, was there.

Mr. BILL BOWEN Speaking: Just to even things.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: And Bowen had set up a new Support Group for sexually abused Jehovah's Witnesses. And more than 20 people who had heard about the case through his Web Site were there to support Erica.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: Thank you, everybody, for being here.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: These are people who don't know me, who flew from all over the place for me, to be there for me because they realize, "Hey, you didn't do anything wrong." And it was so encouraging to see people there for me as opposed for him.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: In Court, Manuel Beliz took the stand. He denied molesting Erica, but did admit touching her inappropriately. Once again, Beliz was found Guilty.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: Guilty, Guilty, Guilty, Guilty.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Erica Garza says she has found justice in spite of her Church.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: Oh, I can't believe it. On all 4 counts.

Mr. GARZA (ERICA'S FATHER) Speaking: Just a little bit of justice. You deserve it.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: Thank you, God. Thank you, Lord.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: Her molester has been sent to prison for 11 1/2 years.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: Thank you for all your help, Bill.

Mr. BILL BOWEN Speaking: Everything's over.

Mrs. BARBARA ANDERSON Speaking: You'll sleep well tonight, won't you?

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: Yeah.

JOHN LARSON Speaking: All Erica wants now, she says, is for the Church to change its Policy and give molestation victims simple advice.

Ms. ERICA GARZA Speaking: "Take it to the Police." Hey, encourage me to take it to the Police. Don't tell me not to.

STONE PHILLIPS Speaking: Erica Garza and Holly Brewer are both Suing the Watchtower Society and their local Congregations. The Church is fighting the Lawsuits.

STONE PHILLIPS Speaking: The Church also told DATELINE that while some known pedophiles still go door-to-door, they are not allowed to do so alone.

STONE PHILLIPS Speaking: Finally, 4 of the people DATELINE interviewed -- former Elder Bill Bowen, Barbara Anderson and Carl and Barbara Pandello -- are facing possible Expulsion (Disfellowshipping) from their Congregations.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBC PANORAMA

Program Title: "Suffer the Little Children"
    Program Producer: PANORAMA BBC1 U.K.
    Date that this Program was Aired on Television: July 14th 2002, 10:15 P.M. BST

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Two years ago elders from this church heard a shocking story. This young woman told them her father was sexually abusing her. The elders called her a liar.

ALISON COUSINS (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): What are you meant, meant to do then if he's doing something wrong? And they said "Come to us and we'll deal with it." And I said to them "Well, I've already spoken to you and you've told me I'm a liar".

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): The elders sent her home to her father. They didn't tell her that three years earlier he'd confessed to them that he was abusing her sister.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Tulsa, Oklahoma and a gathering of the church that let this happen. Over 6,000 Jehovah's Witnesses are in town for their District Convention. Panorama is here too. We're looking for answers from the leaders of an organization that's under fire, facing mountain allegations that it's shielding abusers, silencing victims and putting children at risk.

BILL BOWEN (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS ELDER 1984-2000): It's a world-wide problem that is of epidemic proportions within the organization and no one knows about it, unless your child is molested.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Stevenson is on the Ayrshire coast in Scotland. It's a quiet holiday resort, a close-knit town and home to a thriving community of Jehovah's Witnesses. Door to door service, Bible studies and conventions are at the heart of family life for this young woman. But now she's left the church which she says betrayed her. She doesn't want to be recognised. She had a strict religious upbringing, her parents wedded to the Biblical principle that the father is head of the household.

GIRL (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): We'd pray together, kind of thing, I mean we prayed before meals and we'd pray before going to bed, and ask God for help and ask God for forgiveness for anything we've done wrong that day. It was very strict. I was scared of my dad for years. I was really frightened of him.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): She and her sister spent hours playing alone. Their father taught them that outside influences were bad. He prohibited friendships outside the church. But, from the age of 11, her make-believe games hid a painful truth - her father had started to abuse her.

GIRL (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): I was in my bed one night and that's when my dad came through and started touching me and feeling me. I just lay there hoping that he'd go away.

GIRL (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY) [in Official Witness Statement at Selkirk's Police Office]: Over the years since I was 11 until I was 15 my dad had done things to me that he shouldn't have done like rub my breasts, finger me and try to have sex with me. I remember when we were in Perth we were staying in a tent. He started to touch me and he made me touch him, and he made me put his penis in my mouth and things like that.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Were you scared?

GIRL (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): Terrified! There was one thing my dad told me, if I'd ever told anyone about this he would break me apart.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): For years she kept quiet, but one Sunday, after a meeting at the Kingdom Hall, she asked to see church elders. She needed their help.

GIRL (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): And I just told them everything that happened.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Did they tell you that this was serious, that you should go to the police, that they would go to the police for you?

GIRL (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): No, they didn't tell me anything like that. They didn't make any mention of the police.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): They said they'd deal with it.

GIRL (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): Yes. After that they called my father in, and they had a very, very long chat with him. Then eventually they came out and we went home and that was the end of it.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): When confronted, Ian Cousins confessed he was abusing his daughter. He said he was sorry, so the elders sent him home with her. The abuse continued. Cousins was reproved or admonished publicly by the elders, but church policy meant that no one was told why, not even his younger daughter.

ALISON COUSINS (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): It was announced on the platform that Ian Cousins had been reproved, and after that I went to one of the elders and asked, well, "why has he been reproved?". And he said "It's because of something he did wrong" but he wouldn't tell me what it was.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Even when her sister moved out, sick of the abuse, Alison still didn't know why. She missed her sister and was lonely. With one daughter gone, Ian Cousins turned on the other. It all began with an innocent goodnight kiss.

ALISON COUSINS (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): I gave him a kiss, like a peck on the lips and then I tried to get up to walk away and he pulled me down and he forced his tongue through my teeth, my clenched teeth, and he tried to put the blame on me and said "Did you really think you should be doing that?"

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): He blamed you?

ALISON COUSINS (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): Yes.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): It wasn't long before the abuse got worse. One day her father was accused of assaulting one of Alison's friends. She had to do something but had no where to turn - nowhere, except the Kingdom Hall. She asked to see a church elder.

ALISON COUSINS (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): I told him everything that had happened and what my dad had done to me and he said that he didn't believe me at all and he said that I was a liar, and that my dad would never do such a thing and my dad was such a nice man.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Like her sister, she was sent home. Her father - "the nice man" - was free to continue abusing her. So she gave the elders an ultimatum: either they did something or she'd go to the police. They did nothing.

ALISON COUSINS (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY) [in Official Police Statement]: I have told the police about my dad because I am concerned that he has contact with other young girls through the church.

DETECTIVE SERGEANT WALLACE BURGESS (STRATHCLYDE POLICE): Some of these people gave good statements and very, very positive in their attitude in support of Alison and her sister. Other people felt that they didn't want to be involved and gave a negative statement and some people refused to speak to us altogether.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Why?

DETECTIVE SERGEANT WALLACE BURGESS (STRATHCLYDE POLICE): I've no idea why. They just refuse to speak to the police.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Were they Jehovah's Witnesses?

DETECTIVE SERGEANT WALLACE BURGESS (STRATHCLYDE POLICE): I believe they were.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): But they wouldn't help.

DETECTIVE SERGEANT WALLACE BURGESS (STRATHCLYDE POLICE): They wouldn't give a statement to us, no.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Only during the police investigation did the whole story become clear to Alison Cousins. Only now did she discover her sister had been abused too. Only now did she find out that her father confessed to elders 3 years earlier, yet no one had warned her, his next victim.

ALISON COUSINS (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): Nobody told me anything. They all basically kept it all under wraps and told nobody what had happened.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): What they did was keep a record of her father's name and confession on a church database - a register of suspected and convicted pedophiles to be monitored. We asked Alison Cousins to obtain a copy of her records using the Data Protection Act. There, in black and white, was proof that the Jehovah's Witnesses had known for 3 years that her father was a self-confessed pedophile. Yet, far from monitoring him, the elders twice turned a blind eye to his abuse of his daughters. When he confessed to church elders, Cousins got a mild rebuke. When he confessed in court, he got 5 years in jail.

DETECTIVE SERGEANT WALLACE BURGESS (STRATHCLYDE POLICE): I believe we were the last to know. They had told several people before coming to the police, and these people had not reported it either to the police or the social services. We have a duty to protect, and if we're not told we are unable to protect.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): New York, the capital of big business, and a fitting home for one of the largest and richest religious organizations in the world. From here the Jehovah's Witnesses control over six million members. From here, the world-wide headquarters in Brooklyn Heights, every policy, every guideline, is dictated. Visitors are welcome and one message is clear. In this organization you adhere to God's word. Every month 50,000 Bibles come off the press ready to be sold world-wide. But this too is where they keep records of suspected and convicted pedophiles in their ranks. Bill Bowen, a lifelong member, has resigned as an elder. He says the men at the top are protecting the church, not the children.

BILL BOWEN (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS ELDER 1984-2000): They do not want people to know that they have this problem, and by covering it up they just hurt one person. By letting it out, then they hurt the image of the church.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Elders must report abuse to the church's legal desk. Only if the law demands it must they contact the police. If it doesn't, they be told they have a moral duty to call them, but often it seems to stop here. It seems to go no further than the church's own secret database.

BILL BOWEN (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS ELDER 1984-2000): Every detail is written down about what happened, where it happened, when it happened, how it happened.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): So you're saying the organization has its own sexual offenders register if you like.

BILL BOWEN (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS ELDER 1984-2000): That's exactly right.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): That it's keeping to itself and not showing others.

BILL BOWEN (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS ELDER 1984-2000): Exactly right. These men remain anonymous to anyone outside the organization and anyone really inside the organization unless you're personally reporting the matter.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): So was this the policy back in Stevenson that let Ian Cousins continue to abuse his daughters? The elders have stepped down and refused to talk to us, so we asked the man sent here to sort things out. Hello, Mr Briggs. We're from BBC Panorama as you know.

JONATHAN BRIGGS (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PRESIDING OVERSEER): I know that.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): We just want to ask you a few questions about the Ian Cousins Case.

JONATHAN BRIGGS (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PRESIDING OVERSEER): It's reasonable to really actually consider the brothers and sisters in the congregation that have had to undergo all this pressure. So I would just leave it at that. That's all I have to say on the matter.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): The database, Mr Briggs, why should the Jehovah's Witnesses keep a database of men who have confessed to being pedophiles but the police aren't told? Do you think that's reasonable behaviour Mr Briggs?

JONATHAN BRIGGS (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PRESIDING OVERSEER): [Declines to respond, turns and retreats into the Kingdom Hall]

[JULY 11 2002]

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): The latest name added to the list should be that of James Barrett. Three days ago, clutching his Bible, this elder from Rugby was convicted of indecently assaulting two boys and sentenced to two years in prison. The church was told of the allegations five years ago, but Barrett denied them and was allowed to remain an elder. So, how many names are on the secret database? We asked the headquarters in New York. They refused to tell us. "Focusing on numbers isn't meaningful," they said. After a lifetime in the church, Bill Bowen tells a different story. How many names do you suspect are on that list?

BILL BOWEN (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS ELDER 1984-2000): Twenty-three thousand, seven hundred and twenty.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): How do you know that?

BILL BOWEN (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS ELDER 1984-2000): I was contacted by sources within the church. I was given a figure of over 20,000. Two different sources came back to me and said that number is actually more specific and gave me a figure of 23,720. They told me that they had accessed the internal database and that figure was based on child molesters in the USA, Canada and Europe, and that's the figure that they were given.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Over 20,000 names on a secret database. That's why these people say the church has to listen. With Bill Bowen, they're calling for the Jehovah's Witnesses to come clean about their record on child abuse. His campaign, "Silent Lambs", has already heard from 5,000 victims. This candle-lit vigil is for them.

BILL BOWEN (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS ELDER 1984-2000): Or it's what they're doing, once it's found out, causing their own members to be deeply disturbed.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Heather Berry and her stepsister Holly Brewer have flown here from New Hampshire. The man who abused them has been gaoled for a minimum of 56 years. He was Heather's father. Now Heather and Holly are breaking new ground, they're taking the Jehovah's Witnesses to court.

HEATHER BERRY (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): I'm Heather from New Hampshire. I don't want to tell my story but I've heard the word "victim" too many times today, and all of us are standing out here today and we're standing tall and proud and saying this happened and that it can't happen and we're survivors, and we're fighting and we're not victims.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): They're the first of those survivors to take their fight to court. They're claiming that not only did the church do nothing when they were abused, it ostracized and punished the family when they called the police.

HEATHER BERRY (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): I'm very glad I came, and like I said, I would do it again, and again, and again, and as many times as it takes to get a change in the policies and things that they hide constantly.

HOLLY BREWER (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): I'm really glad that the policy was talked about so much today, that it's an actually policy, it's not just a few elders that want to hide things. It comes from higher-up.

HEATHER BERRY (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): It's a world-wide policy.

HOLLY BREWER (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): Yes.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): We asked the church for an interview to discuss the claims that they're putting thousands of children at risk. They offered us instead some video tapes. Here we have it, a box full of tapes in fact, Jehovah's Witnesses response, progressive understanding of pedophilia, education through publications, and one marked 'policies' and I'm told that's where we should get some answers. That night we watched the tapes, looking for those answers. In long letters, the organization had told us the welfare of children is of paramount concern to them, that they have a forceful child protection policy. We wanted to see it spelled out.

J.R. BROWN (WATCHTOWER BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY'S OFFICIAL SPOKESPERSON): We've heard the suggestion that our policies may not be adequate to cover the problem of child molestation, but that's not the case all.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): The policy couldn't be simpler. The elders should deal with all allegations of abuse.

M.R. INFANTE (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS): I think that's a very good policy, that the elders essentially would take charge of the situation of reporting the abuse to the authorities.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): But the authorities they're told to contact aren't the police, it's their own legal desk.

J.R. BROWN (WATCHTOWER BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY'S OFFICIAL SPOKESPERSON): The fact of the matter is, we have a very aggressive policy to handle child molestation in the congregation, and it is primarily designed to protect our children.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): So how aggressive is it in practice? Just over a year ago Bill Bowen rang the legal desk in New York asking how he should handle an allegation of abuse in his congregation. The advice he was given has little to do with protecting the victim. He was told to go back to the man accused.

REPRESENTATIVE AT THE LEGAL DESK AT WATCHTOWER HEADQUARTERS IN NEW YORK: You just him again, "Now, is there anything to this?" If he says "No" then I would walk away from it. Leave it for Jehovah. He'll bring it out.

BILL BOWEN (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS ELDER 1984-2000): Yep.

REPRESENTATIVE AT THE LEGAL DESK AT WATCHTOWER HEADQUARTERS IN NEW YORK: But don't get yourself in a jam.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): "Leave it for Jehovah". That, according to thousands of victims, is the Jehovah's Witness child protection policy laid bare. No one knows more about that than Sara Poisson. Holly Brewer and Heather Berry's mother knows her loyalty to the church cost her daughters dearly. Paul Berry, her husband, beat them. She suspect worse, that Heather was being sexually abused and went to the elders.

SARA POISSON (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): I could tell from their looks on their faces that I had done a bad thing, that I had spoken against my husband which is a bad thing. And so their solution was that I should be a better wife, and I should pray more. That was their solution, that's how I could stop him from battering us. I assumed they were right. It had to be right because they know everything because they're God's representatives on earth.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): She couldn't convince them, but she was convinced that Paul Berry was sexually abusing their daughter, Heather.

HEATHER BERRY (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): When I was about 3 years old I started displaying behavior that no 3 year old in their right mind would display. I was throwing stools out of 2 storey windows and I was, well, I went to Boston Children's Medical Hospital in the psychiatric ward when I was 3, because she found me stabbing myself with a screwdriver in the arm in the kitchen. He came to me in the black of night, Hands outstretched, there was no fight. The masked man slowly became familiar with my shape, Gently rubbing his hands on me, every nook, cranny and gape. My child, you are so sweet, So perfect and right, then I knew nothing but defeat. I tried not to think about the abuse as much as possible. I mean there was the physical abuse, there was the verbal abuse and there was the sexual abuse. And when none of it was happening, that was ideal, and that's what I tried to focus on the most.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): And all the while, you were going to the Kingdom Hall every Sunday.

HEATHER BERRY (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): We were.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): You were going to meetings during the week.

HEATHER BERRY (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): We were going out on door-to-door service.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Time and again, the girls were told to wait outside while their mother begged local elders for help. Time and again, they saw her sent home to pray harder and be a better wife. Holly, too, had her own story to tell, the story she'd kept secret from her mother, the story she knew by now the elders wouldn't want to hear. Her instinct was to tell the local policeman, but, after years in the church, she just couldn't.

DETECTIVE SERGEANT JACK ZELLER (KEENE POLICE DEPARTMENT, NEW HAMPSHIRE): Holly would actually tell me that she was very angry about things at home and she did on more than several occasions tell me that "Some day, Sergeant Zeller, I'm going to tell you something that happened to me" and I always told Holly, "When you're ready, I'll be there. You know where I am."

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Her mother saw the elders more than a dozen times, but remarkably it never strong Sarah Poisson to look for help outside the church. You can say that your children's lives are in danger, and in the same breath that you couldn't possibly go to the police. How can that be?

SARA POISSON (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): Because God would not want that. It would never have occurred to me, and even if it had, I would not have done it because he's a man. He's a baptized male and he's a ministerial servant and I was a woman and they're kids, and that's even worse than being a woman. "These things need to stay in this room" - I've heard that many, many times. "You need to pray about it more." I can show you my Bible, it's paper thin. I still have it. It's all worn out. I did a lot of praying.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Even after you had told them that her father was sexually abusing Heather, nothing changed?

SARA POISSON (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): No, no. Well yeah, things changed, they got a lot worse, for me.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): In the end, the decision was taken out of her hands. In school bruises were noticed on her children. Social workers were told. They gave her a stark choice, leave your husband or we take your children. But if she left him, she knew the church would cut her dead.

SARA POISSON (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): At that point, I had to make decision between God and my kids. And I knew.. well, at that time I knew, that if I chose my kids, I don't have prayer, but I didn't care anymore. So we lost everything in one day.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Sarah Poisson had no life outside the Kingdom Hall. When the congregation cast her out she had no choice but to move away. She didn't just lose every friend she had, overnight she was homeless, penniless, scraping a living to bring up her children. The friends they'd had, openly shunned them. But with the family now free of the church Holly could finally tell her mother the truth: her stepfather had abused her too. When he tried to gain access to her younger sister, Holly finally did what the elders hadn't - she walked into the local police station.

DETECTIVE SERGEANT JACK ZELLER (KEENE POLICE DEPARTMENT, NEW HAMPSHIRE): It was clear to me that it was a life's crossing, a road to cross. Never any doubt in my mind that Holly could do it. It was a tremendous effort on her part, and it smacked of raw courage from beginning to end.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): The Holly Brewer who walked into his office that day was a very changed, a very defiant young woman.

HOLLY BREWER (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): My earliest memory is like about 3 years old, my latest memory is 10 years old, and he gradually worked into being interested in me to full-blown sex, intercourse, over those years.

[2:47 p.m. MARCH 7 1997 Official Police Video]

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): It was a harrowing time. The police took Holly back to the house where the abuse had started.

HOLLY BREWER (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): He had a room that he had found in a very, very old house that was underneath the barn that you'd crawl through a hole to get to, and once you were in there, you were isolated from the entire house, and from everything, and that's where everything would go down.

[3:22 p.m. MARCH 7th 1997 Official Police Video]

WOMAN POLICE OFFICER (NEW HAMPSHIRE POLICE): Would he kneel down on, next to you, or over you?

HOLLY BREWER (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): He'd like sit like this... and let me do..

WOMAN POLICE OFFICER (NEW HAMPSHIRE POLICE): All right

HOLLY BREWER (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): and then he'd lean over..

WOMAN POLICE OFFICER (NEW HAMPSHIRE POLICE): And did he tell you what he wanted you to do?

HOLLY BREWER (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): I knew after a while.

WOMAN POLICE OFFICER (NEW HAMPSHIRE POLICE): OK.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): She told the police exactly what Berry had wanted, of the brutal sexual assault she'd suffered throughout her childhood.

HOLLY BREWER (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): I had no vision of me growing up and being 16. I thought he was eventually going to kill me, you know - and then I'd be free and that's the way I looked at it.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): It's really hard to come back here now.

HOLLY BREWER (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): I know. He'd say things like "Thank you for obeying me" and he'd thank me for obeying him and reminding me of that word, that "obey" word. That was a big thing.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Paul Berry was confident Holly would never go to the elders. Apart from anything else, the Jehovah's Witnesses have a clear rule on sin. They need two witnesses or a confession before they'll take action. As Holly told her story, it seemed to police that this rule in a strict religious community would have let the abuse continue.

HOLLY BREWER (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): All the way up to here..

WOMAN POLICE OFFICER (NEW HAMPSHIRE POLICE): So, this is the same piece of material.. All right.

DETECTIVE SERGEANT JACK ZELLER (KEENE POLICE DEPARTMENT, NEW HAMPSHIRE): Sexual abuse of children is not to be tolerated, and I don't care what their reasoning was, it was faulted reasoning. They were wrong, and as far as I'm concerned they were criminally negligent. That's my take on it.

WOMAN POLICE OFFICER (NEW HAMPSHIRE POLICE): Even with just the child's word, with one witness, with just the mother's word, without the two witnesses their Bible tells them they need?

DETECTIVE SERGEANT JACK ZELLER (KEENE POLICE DEPARTMENT, NEW HAMPSHIRE): Well unfortunately most kids don't have several witnesses observing them get raped. That's an unfortunate part of it.

WOMAN POLICE OFFICER (NEW HAMPSHIRE POLICE): It took nearly 4 years for the case to come to court. Paul Berry faced 17 charges of aggravated sexual assault.

SARA POISSON (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): I was holding Holly's hand and she had a lot of pointy rings on, and she was squeezing my hand really tightly, and it took them a long time to get through the verdict because there were so many indictments, and when it was over my hand was all blood and I didn't even feel it. And it was so powerful to be believed.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): But not everyone did believe them, even after he was convicted by a jury on all 17 indictments. Two dozen members of the Kingdom Hall turned up at the sentencing hearing. They all appeared to give character statements for Paul Berry.

DETECTIVE SERGEANT JACK ZELLER (KEENE POLICE DEPARTMENT, NEW HAMPSHIRE): He had already been found guilty and they found room in their hearts to stand in front of that child and say we don't believe any of it. And what they were saying was, they didn't believe the child, they didn't believe in the system of justice, they didn't believe the judge, they didn't believe the jury, they didn't believe anyone - except themselves.

HOLLY BREWER (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): Everything they were saying was "He's such a fine worker, I've worked with him secularly and he always shows up to work on time, he's such a good worker." Everybody said that and also the second half was everybody started saying "He's baby-sat our kids hundreds of times. I would let him baby-sit our kids every day, and he's such a good worker." And I was just sitting there like.. he's not on trial for being a negligent worker.

DETECTIVE SERGEANT JACK ZELLER (KEENE POLICE DEPARTMENT, NEW HAMPSHIRE): I can't imagine how badly she must have felt not to have been believed by elders in her own close-knit community. What a horrible blow to a child this must have been. Shame, shame on them.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): But another serious accusation is levelled against Jehovah's Witnesses. In their efforts to cover-up abuse, they may even try to frustrate police investigations. In Birmingham, West Midlands police were told of a sexual assault by a Jehovah's Witness on a young boy. They asked local elders for help.

SERGEANT STEVE COLLEY (WEST MIDLANDS POLICE): They were very reluctant to give up any information towards me. It was an uphill battle so far as the church was concerned, with me, virtually at every turn. They actually said to me unless I provide two Jehovah's Witnesses who'd actually seen the offense, then as far as they were concerned the offense hadn't taken place.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): The boy was Simon Brady. He was just 9 when he was abused by a member of this Kingdom Hall. He felt he could tell no one.

SIMON BRADY We're taught if you go to elders, if you want to be believed or you have a complaint about someone, then there has to be more than one of you, there has to be two people. There has to be more than one witness, basically, you know. What can I say? They want more than one witness, you know.. every time I've gone to them, you know.. they wouldn't have believed me. Statement of Simon Andrew Brady, aged 18.

SIMON BRADY (in Official Police Statement): I recall that one of the brothers of the congregation, a man known to me as Jaswant Patty began to take an interest in me. I would have been 8 or 9 years old at the time.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Simon Brady's parents were going through a divorce. Jaswant Patty offered to help out, take him off his mother's hands.

SIMON BRADY (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): He'd take me for drives after the meetings, he'd take me home from the congregation, you know.. give me a lift home. I can remember on one occasion he took me to his sister's flat while she was away on holiday. He said we'd go in and we'd check his sister's flat, and there he really sexually abused me basically.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): What did he do?

SIMON BRADY (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): It was quite severe, to be honest with you, it was severe. So even now, to think of it, I don't.. you know.. it hurts now to talk about it, to be honest with you, and I've done that once already. I find it very hard to talk about it any more, basically. He dropped me off at home. I remember going to the bathroom and scrubbing with Dettol, because I felt dirty at what had happened.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): For years he said nothing, afraid the elders wouldn't believe him. When he finally did speak out, his instinct as a 9 year old proved right.

SIMON BRADY (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): It's not so much did they believe me. Did they want to believe me? They didn't want to believe me. I think in terms of my house, you know.. they weren't open-minded and I think they'd already made their mind up even before they got to my house.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): The police did believe him, and they tracked down a second boy who'd been abused by Patty. But what happened next caused them serious concern. An elder confronted the victim's father, calling the man's son a liar. The father complained to the police, who warned the elder to stay away from the victim's families. His excuse was that, as an elder, he had every right to investigate the case for himself.

SERGEANT STEVE COLLEY (WEST MIDLANDS POLICE): It was his duty to test the evidence prior to the court case. I advised him that if that sort of behaviour continued, then if an allegation had been formally made, then I would have to investigate that particular person for offenses to pervert the course of justice, and in fact witness intimidation. The conversation did get a little bit heated towards the end, but obviously I'd a duty to protect my complainants and witnesses to the case. I made sure and sent out the signal that I was prepared to protect them and take drastic steps, i.e. arresting people, if they breached that.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): In Birmingham, as in New Hampshire, the elders supported the accused. Even after Patty was convicted and sentenced to five years in jail they didn't waver. At the next meeting in the Kingdom Hall, the elders made sure the congregation knew where they stood.

SIMON BRADY (VICTIM OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESS PEDOPHILE-PROTECTION POLICY): There's Nice McGivern saying "As a body of elders - that's including every elder in Rubery - we feel as a body of elders that basically this man is innocent, we believe he's innocent, and the Bethel have informed us they will do everything in their power to help this man".

SERGEANT STEVE COLLEY (WEST MIDLANDS POLICE): I then made it my duty to actually speak to the Legal Services Team of the Bethel in London and voice my disquiet about the lack of co-operation I'd had from start to finish from this inquiry.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Under police pressure, the elders did apologize and were demoted though not sacked. The London headquarters, the Bethel, refused to discuss any specific case. They said this was because the elders had to respect the confidentiality of the victims. But the victims wanted answers. We again asked for an interview with their spokesman, Paul Gillies. When he refused we phoned him, told him we were recording and asked a simple question. Are elders told to report allegations of abuse to the police or not?

PAUL GILLIES (WATCHTOWER BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY'S OFFICIAL SPOKESPERSON): The elders' guideline is: if you get any single allegation of child abuse come to your attention, phone this office.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Why phone this office? Why not phone your local police station?

PAUL GILLIES (WATCHTOWER BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY'S OFFICIAL SPOKESPERSON): Well, you see the first thing is we have to make sure for the protection of the child, that's our first priority.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Is it the protection of the child... is it fair to ask you, isn't it the protection of the church that comes straight to mind there?

PAUL GILLIES (WATCHTOWER BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY'S OFFICIAL SPOKESPERSON): It is the protection of the child. We have a child protection policy.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): It was a long conversation and we asked if he'd be prepared to answer the same questions on camera. He refused. So it was back to America and back to a Jehovah's Witness convention in Tulsa. We'd been told we'd find a member of the Governing Body here. Ted JARACZ is one of the men responsible for the church's child protection policy. For more than two months we've been asking them for an interview. We want answers to some simple questions. Why do they keep their database of suspected pedophiles secret? Why don't they report all allegations of abuse to the police? Why do they send children back to the arms of their abusers? They refused to talk to us. But here at last we had our chance. Mister JARACZ, tell me about the database. How do you justify keeping a list of people, men in some cases who have confessed to pedophilia, but you have not reported them to the authorities. What justification is there for you to keep that list?

TED JARACZ (MEMBER OF THE SUPREME GOVERNING BODY OF THE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES): You know, you're from Britain. You have a privacy law. You have a directive from the European Union. You observe that, don't you?

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): So when allegations of abuse are made, is it alright to keep them private?

TED JARACZ (LEADING MEMBER OF THE GOVERNING BODY OF THE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES): I think you were answered. That question was answered strictly to your satisfaction.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): Can you answer it now?

TED JARACZ (LEADING MEMBER OF THE GOVERNING BODY OF THE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES): I'm not going to repeat. I'll just tell you exactly and you will see it in writing. It is all in print. You know the Bible says "Do not go beyond the things that are written."? We don't go beyond the things that are written.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): And that was that. No doubt, no second thoughts. Just a simple belief that Jehovah will sort it out, a belief for which others, younger and more vulnerable, may continue to pay a price.

BILL BOWEN (JEHOVAH'S WITNESS ELDER 1984-2000): They're living in denial, denial of what's happening to their children, and it's not a matter.. you see, if they accept that, then they accept that there is a problem. So rather than admit that there's a problem, they will just let children go on and continue to be molested and not do anything about it.

CNN

Connie Chung Tonight

Connie Chung Interview with Bill Bowen, Heidi Meyer, and Amber Long

Date that this Program was Aired on Television: August 14th 2002

CONNIE CHUNG: Most of us, I suspect, know the Jehovah's Witnesses only as the men and women who go door-to-door handing out literature about their faith. Jehovah's Witnesses are evangelical Christians, with about 1 million members here in the U.S. The movement was founded in the 1870s in Pennsylvania. Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the bible as the literal word of God. They do not allow blood transfusions, do not serve in the military or celebrate Christmas or birthdays.

Now, some members say that something awful is happening behind closed doors, a pattern of alleged child abuse that the religious organization has not only failed to report but, they say, has even helped to keep from the authorities.

Tonight we'll introduce you to two young women who say they've been victimized by a Jehovah's Witness member.

Joining us from Minneapolis to tell their stories in the first person are Heidi Meyer and Amber Long. Also joining us is a man who's tried to bring together alleged victims of abuse within the Jehovah's Witnesses. He's William Bowen, once an elder within the congregation who resigned his position two years ago in protest against the way the group deals with suspected abusers.

Welcome to all of you. Now, Heidi, you were 10 years old when you were first abused. What happened?

HEIDI MEYER, ALLEGEDLY ABUSED BY JEHOVAH'S WITNESS: The man who abused me...

CHUNG: Was a Jehovah's Witness?

MEYER: He was a Jehovah's Witness in my congregation. His name is Derrick Lindelah (ph). He was a friend of the family. He was friends with my brother and I was friends with his younger sisters, and whenever the opportunity arose or whenever he created an opportunity, he would pull me aside and molest me any chance he got.

CHUNG: How long did this go on, Heidi?

MEYER: Until -- into my 13th year. Just after I turned 13.

CHUNG: All right. And you reported this to the elders in the Jehovah's Witnesses. And what happened?

MEYER: When I was 15, I went to the elders with this, as we're instructed as Jehovah's Witnesses to do. And I spoke to them in the hopes of discontinuing this problem, and that they would step in and take care of this person.

CHUNG: Did they?

MEYER: No, they did not. They not only said that they thought I had misinterpreted his actions, but they also told me that I needed to be careful who I spoke to about this and what I said about this, because without two eyewitnesses to the situation, I could be faced with a judicial committee for gossip or slander.

CHUNG: Basically, do you think they were trying to tell you not to go to the police?

MEYER: Absolutely. They said to go to the police and bring this matter to court would be a reproach on God's name and God's organization.

CHUNG: So you kept quiet.

MEYER: Absolutely. Under threat of -- under threat of excommunication.

CHUNG: Yes, from the Jehovah's Witnesses. And your whole family, your whole family belonged, so it meant something to you to belong, as well.

MEYER: Absolutely. Not only my family, but as a Jehovah's Witness, you associate only with members in good standing. And that leaves you in a position where everybody you know, everybody you trust, everybody you've ever known or trusted, is somebody who's inside that organization.

The threat of being thrown out of that and shunned from them is one powerful enough that kept me quiet for a long, long time.

CHUNG: All right, we'll get back to you, Heidi, in a minute. Amber, you claim that you were molested by the same man when you were 12 years old. What happened to you?

AMBER LONG, ALLEGEDLY ABUSED BY JEHOVAH'S WITNESS: Correct. I was at his parent's home. I was friends with his younger sister. And I was molested there. After that visit I went home and told my parents immediately, and we also went to the elders, as is directed in that religion.

CHUNG: And what happened?

LONG: They, you know, insinuated that it was a misunderstanding, that maybe I was upset, told us to come back and talk about it later. When I still stuck to my story, they told us there was really nothing they could do, because there wasn't two eyewitnesses. And again there was that veiled threat of being excommunicated.

And all my life, growing up after that, they, you know, made insinuations to the fact that perhaps it was something that I had done that warranted the abuse.

CHUNG: All right. Amber, we'll get back to you in a minute.

Bill, you've gone so far as saying that you believe that the Jehovah's Witnesses is a pedophile paradise. You know, are you exaggerating? I know you've investigated, but I think one would believe that you might be exaggerating here.

WILLIAM BOWEN, DIRECTOR, SILENTLAMBS.ORG: I've spoken to over 5,000 victims of abuse either through e-mail or direct phone contact. I have an abuse hotline that rings into my home, and I get calls every day. All these people are abuse survivors that tell the same story as Amber and Heidi do. That is, that they went to the elders and they were suppressed, they were covered up.

It's a common thread. Yesterday I got a thread or an e-mail from a young girl, 15 years of age, she went to the elders, she said I am just like Heidi. And after seeing the recent media, I am angry that they would do this to me. And that's what most of these young ladies are. They're angry that they were abused and revictimized by the policies of this church.

CHUNG: Were you intimidated by the Jehovah's Witnesses?

MEYER: Absolutely. There is no option but to be intimidated. Your entire life revolves around your involvement in that organization. That is your entire life. And it's often referred to as such, in the organization. If you are ousted from that organization, it is a trauma in your life. There is an enormous upheaval. It is something that affects every single day of your life.

CHUNG: This is a statement from the Jehovah's Witnesses, and I'd like all of you to listen to it.

"We abhor the sexual abuse of children and will not protect any perpetrator from the consequences of this gross and perverse sin. We expect the elders to investigate every allegation of child abuse. Unrepentant wrongdoers are expelled from the congregation. Special care is taken to ensure the victims are given ongoing assistance and counsel that help them deal with the pain of the abuse. They should never be told by elders not to report their allegations to the authorities.

Amber, I can see you shaking your head.

LONG: I just -- that's just horrifying that they would write something like that. It's so untrue.

MEYER: You know, and it's a good practice on paper. But it's just not -- it's just not applied. In my situation, in Amber's situation, in countless numbers of situations across the nation, and into other countries, it's just not applied.

CHUNG: But why would they put out a statement like this which you claim is not correct?

BOWEN: That statement is a bald-faced lie, in my opinion. These people know the abuse has been covered up. Ten years ago, research was done in the organization that they knew multiple little girls were being molested. They were inundated with mail -- of "Awake" magazine that was written on this subject.

They refused to acknowledge it then, and the fact that it's went on this long, if they make any acceptance that there's a problem, then they admit they willfully have hurt children and not done anything about it.

Bill, you may very well be disfellowshipped (ph), which is essentially excommunicated from this congregation. And your father even made a video condemning you for your investigation of this sexual abuse problem. Doesn't that hurt?

BOWEN: Yes, it hurts deeply. And I don't hold it against him, because I know that he was intimidated just like these two young women were intimidated by the church to make that video, and have it distributed to the local media in this area...

CHUNG: Well, is it worth it to you to be ostracized by your own family?

BOWEN: You have to do what is ethically and morally right. And because people are pressured by religion to do what's ethically and morally wrong, that doesn't excuse that. And so, I'm compelled to go forward, to let these -- for these victims who have been victimized and revictimized by this church.

Many young women have been disfellowshipped when they tried to tell other members in the church that they were molested, simply because that they wanted -- the molester said that they didn't have two eyewitnesses when he raped these young women.

CHUNG: Heidi and Amber, what has happened to the member who you claim molested you?

MEYER: Absolutely nothing, to this day.

LONG: Nothing.

CHUNG: Is he a member in good standing?

MEYER: He is a member in good standing.

LONG: Yes, he is.

CHUNG: You -- both of you may very well be disfellowshipped. Are you prepared for that? And doesn't that mean that your family wouldn't talk to you anymore?

MEYER: Yes, it does mean that. But, you know, my parents raised me to be an independent thinker, a strong person, and someone who is just. And the evidence is so black and white in this situation, there is no alternative choice. There is no other avenue I could be taking with this.

CHUNG: Heidi, Amber, we so appreciate your being with us. And Bill, thank you as well.

And before we go, we should note that we spoke to the attorney for Derrick Lindelah, the man accused of molesting Heidi and Amber, and his lawyer told us that Lindelah would deny all accusations but that no formal answer has been filed yet in a civil suit brought by the two girls.

I will be Posting more soon.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Thanks Undf for your efforts, and good idea! There is so much media info piling up and spread about, with all of the newspaper articles, and TV spots, that it is a good idea to get organized from the get-go rather than later. And there will probably be lots more media attention in the future with the PRESS CONFERENCES this Thursday, and later in the month the SL MARCH.

Panorama did the 7-14-02 Sunday night show, but also there was a 7 minute audio pre-advertising the show (I think earlier in the day on 7-14-02). That info is (or was) here:

Jehovah's Witnesses and child abuse

The Jehovahs witnesses are the latest in a succession of religious groups to come under attack for the way they have responded to allegations of child sex abuse within their ranks. A Panorama investigation to be shown on BBC1 tonight (Sunday) reveals that a number of legal actions against the organization are underway in America, but the problem is not confined to that country. Report by Panorama's Shabnam Grewal.
    Listen here http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/realmedia/sunday/s20020714g.ram>; (7m 21s)

Panorama also did that follow-up show the next morning 7-15-02 (a Q & A session). I don't recall seeing an transcript of the Q & A Show, but here's a little info:

The Jehovah's Witnesses are accused of having a "child protection policy" that protects paedophiles.
    You can ask our panel about the organisation, its policies and how child abuse should be dealt with in a live forum on Monday 15 July at 14:00 BST, to be shown on this page and on Digital Satellite television.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/programmes/panorama/live_forums/newsid_2124000/2124808.stm

When child abuse is suspected within a congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, "elders" in the church have a "child protection policy" to follow.
    This involves reporting the matter to the church's own legal desk - but not necessarily to the police.
    The organisation's strict biblical interpretation means not only that the matter often remains a secret within the organisation, but also that victims can be sent back home to the abusive relationship which they have complained of.
    A former elder, Bill Bowen, has spoken out to Panorama about these policies. He's now leading a campaign to change the church's attitude to child abuse within its ranks.
    And we speak to victims caught up in this controversy from around the world.
    E-mail us your questions for our panel to answer.

Also, that German TV program which did a 10 minute spot on or about 7-15-02:

German TV magazine KONTRASTE ( http://www.kontraste.de"; target="_new"> http://www.kontraste.de;) broadcasted a very well researched report on child abuse within the JW community. The report was only 10min long, but it was German prime time - the very first topic after the most watched daily news magazine. KONTRASTE (Contrasts) is very reputable TV magazine. Two victims were interviewed and a JW spokesman.

Protecting the Perpetrator Comes First - Child Abuse Among Jehovah's Witnesses
    by Caroline Walter and Marcus Weller
    [email protected]"> [email protected]?subject=Kontraste%2020.06.02,%20Jehova)

Once again a scandal within a religious community involving sexual molestation of children by "men of God".

Caroline Walter and Marcus Weller report about a crime against children and a sinister cartel of silence.

Ursel Wagner was 9 years old when she was sexually abused by a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Ursel Wagner:
    "This brother used to visit us and made the offer to my parents: "I would like to put the little girl to bed, and her read a good night story that will be fun."

Cornelia Wagner, Mother:
    "Imagine, as I am there ironing my clothes and doing the dishes, this young man is in my daughter's room, reading stories to her and abusing her in the next room."

Ursel Wagner:
    "In some way, I knew that it was not right what he did to me. But I was confused, because that was something that did not exist among Jehovah's Witnesses.

At that time, Ursel's parents were Jehovah's Witnesses also. When her daughter told them about the molestation, they proceeded the way they were required: they reported the incident to the elders in their congregation. But the elders told them not to make trouble and keep it quiet.

Cornelia Wagner:
    "I was shocked. I could not believe what the elders demanded for me to do: remain silent. They gave some flimsy reasons and said by this we would also protect our daughter."

The family got no support by their spiritual leaders, instead the opposite was true: the perpetrator was protected, fellow congregation members are not warned .

Ursel Wagner:
    "It still makes my angry how these people dealt with it back then. I am sure we could have saved some other girls from being molested. But nothing happened, nothing at all."

Cornelia Wagner, Mother:
    "They made us feel that the roles had switched, we had become the perpetrators. It was as if we were accusing them and that did not fit their perfect picture."

Jehovah's Witnesses view themselves as a chosen group that lives rigidly by Bible principles. Jehovah's Witnesses believe in a soon-to-come doomsday called Armageddon that is survived by their members only. Their ultimate earthly authority is the worldwide operating Watchtower Society. 210.000 Jehovah's Witnesses live in Germany. They spread their teachings via the magazines "Watchtower" and "Awake". The obedience to the organization is obligatory for all members.

Stephan Wolf was a Jehovah's Witness for 20 years. Today he supports others leaving. More and more victims of child abuse contact him.

Stephan E. Wolf, Ausstieg e.V. (Exit Inc.)
    "The woman's attitude is to be in submission and follow the principle of headship, this also applies towards children that are required to be obedient - if necessary violently. I think this prevailing attitude promotes an environment in which child abuse is more likely than in other parts of society."

Ruth Schlegel was born into a Jehovah's Witnesses environment. Her family lived strictly to the rules of the organization. Her father was an elder.

Ruth Schlegel:
    "My father started to molest me when I was 9 years old. It began with touching me. It developed into sexual intercourse. That last time was when I was 15 or 16 or so when I was raped."

Ruth's mother reported the molestation to the highest leaders in the congregation, the Elders. But yet again nothing was done and the perpetrator was not reported to the authorities. For years after, Ruths fathers abused other girls.

Ruth Schlegel:
    "In the elders opinion they had done enough. They had a meeting. They had spoken to him and had demanded that he had to apologize to me. They had done everything the Watchtower Society says and so the case was closed. That was their opinion, from the religious point of view because everything from outside i.e. the law, reporting to the police did not matter because the Society says they are above law, they deal with it internally."

Protecting the perpetrator and silencing victims - normal procedure of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Dr. Andreas Fincke, Protestant Church expert on cults:
    "They have a closed society. When wrongdoing occurs they appoint judicial committees to deal with conflicts and moral transgressions. The idea behind this attitude is that you don't go to court with Brothers and Sisters but to deal with those things internally first. That sounds good but in reality it often results with those in authority the elders, always men, judging matters they have no business getting involved with."

Do elders actually judge in cases of child abuse? We asked Jehovah's Witnesses:

Uwe W. Herrmann, Speaker of Jehovah's Witnesses:
    "Because of our Biblical understanding we believe that there are some specific sins for which the local elders are responsible."

PAY ATTENTION TO YOURSELVES AND TO ALL THE FLOCK is the title of the elders' manual. And it is there the Elders are told how to proceed:
    "Some disputes should not be dealt with at secular courts."
    And: "...it is the Elders decision if the statements are trustworthy."

Dr. Andreas Fincke, Protestant Church expert on cults:
    "For a Jehovah's Witnesses who has become the victim of child abuse, it is impossible to get justice within the organization. The simple reason is that you need two witnesses that confirm the incident and that is almost always impossible when it comes to child abuse because there are of course no witnesses."

The Watchtower Society has built a wall of silence around the perpetrators called confidentiality. By making a simple denial pedophiles can live their inclination and remain in their positions within the congregation.

"The main principle is to create a perfect image to the outside world. In their own eyes they are models to the outside world concerning moral standards, one of the buzzwords they like to use in the media. Having pedophiles in their midst does not fit that image, let alone the fact that the public gets to know that they are being protected in the movement. So, they are trying everything they can, to prevent the facts form coming out to the public."

But this perfect image is also intended to help Jehovah's Witnesses to get the recognition as a church. For 11 years, they have been going to court through all channels to get the same religious status as the Catholic and the Protestant Church. Recognition would result in several cost saving privileges i.e. to raise a church tax to create revenue.

Thus, the accusations of child abuse does not fit the image presented, yet more and more cases are coming out to the open while the organization keeps on denying there is a problem.

"We, the Religious Community of Jehovah's Witnesses in Germany, don't know of any cases of child molestation here in Germany."

"I think the time has come that the public sees there is something going on in the Jehovah's Witnesses organization, pedophiles within have a perfect environment where nothing is being done and they do not have to be afraid."

"Basically, we don't punish at all. Only God can punish. The Elders of a congregation can only check if someone is repentant or not. If he repentant then the sinner gets further help to get over that sin."

It seems that only the victims get punished. Ruth Schlegel has been expelled from the Witnesses because of smoking and adultery. She still fights with the aftermaths of the abuse.

Edited by - Grits on 2 September 2002 5:30:30

Edited by - Grits on 2 September 2002 5:31:42

Edited by - Grits on 2 September 2002 5:34:54

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped
    Newspaper Articles and Website News Articles:

Pioneer Press News - July 2nd 2002:

Two file sex abuse suit against Jehovah's Witnesses congregation

BY STEPHEN SCOTT, Religion Editor

Two women filed a civil suit Tuesday alleging they were sexually abused as young girls by a fellow member of a Jehovah's Witnesses congregation in Annandale, Minn.

The women, both now 22 and living in the Twin Cities, say the religion's very tenets make it virtually impossible for victims to come forward, because at least two witnesses are required to corroborate any act of wrongdoing.

After these incidents, said the plaintiffs attorney, Jeffrey Anderson of St. Paul, these women went to the elders, and they were told, 'We dont really believe you, because we require two witnesses to this for it to have happened, and if there aren't two, you are giving false testimony.'

At issue is Jehovah's Witnesses understanding of the Bible, specifically Deuteronomy 19:15, which says a single witness shall not suffice in convicting a person of a crime or wrongdoing.

Although Jehovahs Witnesses do not interpret every passage of the Bible literally, they base their beliefs solely on principles found in the Bible.

If the accused denies the charges and there are no others who can substantiate them, the elders cannot take action within the congregation at that time, says the groups official statement called Jehovahs Witnesses and Child Protection.

Both plaintiffs allege that while they were between 10 and 12 years old, they were fondled by a male member of the congregation who was eight years older.

Named as defendants are Derek Lindala, 30, of South Haven, Minn., who is alleged to have fondled the girls on separate occasions either in his family home or while on church-related activities; the Annandale congregation; and the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, which is the Jehovah's Witnesses incorporated headquarters.

Christianity Today - July 8th 2002:

http://christianitytoday.aol.com/ct/2002/008/14.15.html

Watchtower Ousts Victims, Whistle-Blowers

Jehovah's Witness members allege sect policy protected child molesters.

By Stan Guthrie

A former Jehovah's Witness elder, who campaigns against what he says is a sect policy that protects sexual abusers of children, says sect leaders have disfellowshiped nearly 50 members or abuse victims who have gone public with their criticism.

Local leaders of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, which oversees Jehovah's Witness congregations, are considering whether to disfellowship former elder Bill Bowen, 44, of Draffenville, Kentucky, for "causing divisions." Bowen, 44, has enlisted 30 supporters to speak on his behalf and has been a leading public critic of the Watchtower's handling of molestation cases.

"I think there will be an uprising," Bowen told Christianity Today. "We don't challenge Jehovah's Witness doctrine and belief. But what they have got to stop is breaking the law."

Bowen says Watchtower leadership is aggressively severing ties with those who publicly criticize the movement. Leaders recently booted out three members after they appeared with Bowen in a May 28 expos broadcast on Dateline NBC.

Watchtower spokesman J. R. Brown disputes Bowen's figures. Brown says offenders are excommunicated only for biblical reasons. "No one has to be disfellowshiped," Brown told CT. "Only unrepentant offenders are disfellowshiped."

Bowen founded silentlambs inc., which monitors allegations of sexual abuse by Jehovah's Witnesses (Christianity Today, March 5th, 2001, Page 23). He says 1,000 people have contacted his organization with credible reports of sexual abuse.

BBC Panorama News Story on their Website - Friday, July 12th 2002:

Secret database protects paedophiles

The Jehovah's Witnesses organisation keeps a sex offenders register that nobody outside the church is allowed to see, a former "elder" tells Panorama.

Bill Bowen, who has spent his lifetime as a Jehovah's Witness and nearly twenty years as an elder, says the organisation covers up abuse by keeping this database secret.

His sources indicate there are 23,720 abusers on the list - who are protected by the system.

"They [the Jehovah's Witnesses] do not want people to know that they have this problem", he tells Panorama.

"And by covering it up they just hurt one person. By letting it out, then they hurt the image of the church."

Bible-based policy

Victims of abuse feel they cannot speak out

According to the Jehovah's Witnesses' interpretation of the Bible, allegations of child abuse must first be reported to the organisation's legal desk. The police are sometimes never told.

Action can only be taken within the congregation if there are two witnesses to a crime or a confession from the accused.

And if a member of the congregation is suspected or even convicted of child abuse, this fact is kept secret.

Bill Bowen, from Kentucky in the United States, resigned as an elder in 2000 in protest at this child protection policy. He told Panorama:

"These men remain anonymous to anyone outside the organisation and anyone really inside the organisation unless you are personally reporting the matter."

Danger ignored

The story of one young Jehovah's Witness from Scotland whom Panorama spoke to illustrates the danger of such a policy.

Alison Cousins was let down by the Jehovah's Witnesses' policy on child protection
    When Alison Cousins was abused by her father she followed the procedure she had been taught - she turned to one of the elders.

Unknown to her at the time, her sister had also reported her own abuse by their father in the same way.

Despite having known for three years that Alison's father was a paedophile, the same elders sent Alison back home, where she continued to be abused.

In the end Alison went to the police and her father was sentenced to five years in prison.

We have a duty to protect and if we're not told, we're unable to protect

But the police had been the last to know.

Detective Sergeant Wallace Burgess of Strathclyde police said: "They had told several people before coming to the police and these people had not reported it either to the police or the social services.

"We have a duty to protect and if we're not told, we're unable to protect."

Legal advice: "walk away"

"With regard to any allegation concerning child molestation, the first edict elders are given is to call the legal department", says Bowen.

Little over a year ago, Bowen, as a concerned elder, rang the legal desk and asked for advice on how he should handle a suspected case of abuse in his congregation.

The advice was:

"You just ask him again: 'Now is there anything to this?' If he says 'no', then I would walk away from it...

"Leave it for Jehovah. He'll bring it out."

Despite this, the Head of Public Relations, J R Brown, maintains: "We have a very aggressive policy to handle child molestation in the congregations and it is primarily designed to protect our children."

When asked by Panorama about the number of suspected paedophiles on the database, Paul Gillies from the Jehovah's Witnesses Office of Public Information in the UK said: "It is not meaningful to focus on the number of names we have in our records".

With regard to their policy on reporting abuse to the authorities, he referred us to the 8 October 1993 issue of Awake!, page 9, which states:

"Some legal experts advise reporting the abuse to the authorities as soon as possible. In some lands the legal system may require this. But in other places the legal system may offer little hope of successful prosecution."

Alison Cousins: taking a brother to court

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that they should not take another member of their church to court.

1 Corinthians 6:1, 5

"Does anyone of You that has a case against the other dare to go to court before unrighteous men, and not before the holy ones?"

"I am speaking to move You to shame. Is it true that there is not one wise man among You that will be able to judge between his brothers, but brother goes to court with brother, and that before unbelievers?"

Alison's story

Alison Cousins is grew up in the small Ayrshire town of Stevenson, just outside Glasgow, where her parents were active members of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

When she told the elders of her local congregation that her father was abusing her they told her they would deal with it.

They did nothing however, and eventually she went to the police.

Her father was imprisoned for five years.

Alison told Panorama:

"They told me that one of the scriptures in the Bible was that you should never take your brother to court.

"And I said to them: 'well what are you meant to do then if he's doing something wrong?'

"And they said: 'Come to us and we'll deal with it'.

"I said to them: 'Well I've already spoken to you and you've told me I'm a liar'.

"I ended up having to go to the police because they were the only people that I thought would believe me."

Simon Brady: two witnesses

The Jehovah's Witnesses' policy means they do not act upon allegations of child abuse unless there are two witnesses to the event.

Deuteronomy 19:15

"No single witness should rise up against a man respecting any error or any sin, in the case of any sin that he may commit.

"At the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses the matter should stand good ."

1 Timothy 5:19

"Do not admit an accusation against an older man, except only on the evidence of two or three witnesses."

Simon's story

When Simon Brady was growing up in Birmingham he was sexually abused by a man in his congregation.

He informed the elders, who wanted to know if there had been any other witnesses. Otherwise, this was just one person's word against another's.

Even after the man had been found guilty and sent to prison, the elders still have not taken any action because they lack their required second witness.

Simon told Panorama:

"They believe there has to be two witnesses to prove anything.

"It scared me, that scared me at nine years of age.

"There are going to be other kids out there now who are involved in this organisation and basically the guideline says they need two people to be believed or even to be taken seriously.

"Basically the chances are you're not going to have two witnesses."

Sara Poisson: obedience

The "elders" within the Jehovah's Witnesses church are regarded as God's representatives on earth. Other members are expected to act upon what the elders say.

Hebrews 13:17

"Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and be submissive for they are keeping watch over your souls."

Sara's story

Sara Poisson was a member of a Jehovah's Witnesses congregation in New Hampshire in the USA.

She went to the elders because her husband was violent.

She also suspected - rightly, it transpired - that he was sexually abusing her daughter.

The elders told her she needed to pray more and be a better wife.

She believed them and the abuse continued.

Sara explained to Panorama why she did not simply leave with her children:

"The elders are in place to govern on earth as a substitute I guess - I can't think of a better word - they're God's representatives on earth.

"God's representatives on earth have told me repeatedly this is my fault.

"I haven't figured it out yet... 'keep working at it and it will end'...

"OK, so I did, and I kept trying to do that.

"It would never have occurred to me to take this outside of the congregation."

Child abuse policy

Panorama investigates the Jehovah's Witnesses policy on child abuse

The Jehovah's Witnesses deal with child abuse according to principles they interpret from the Bible.

They stress the need to "abhor what is wicked", but after applying two very specific verses of scripture.

First, if any allegation is made against someone, that person must confess or there must be two witnesses to the act for it to be proven:

"No single witness should rise up against a man respecting any error or any sin... At the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses the matter should stand good." (Deuteronomy 19:15)

Secondly, there is an admonishment against taking legal action against a fellow Jehovah's Witness.

Members are encouraged to keep matters resolved within the congregation and not go outside to worldly courts for assistance:

"Does anyone of YOU that has a case against the other dare to go to court before unrighteous men, and not before the holy ones?" (1 Corinthians 6:1-11)

Internalised

The Jehovah's Witnesses do not, in any of their policy letters sent from the headquarters to the elders of each congregation in the world, tell the elders to report immediately any allegation of child abuse to the police or other authorities who are trained to investigate such claims, unless they are required to do so by law.

They are however required to report the matter to the "Bethel" legal department of the Jehovah's Witnesses headquarters in that country.

The local elders themselves must carry out an investigation, interviewing the victims and the alleged abuser.

They are not provided with any training in how to deal with child abuse.

Official procedure

Two elders meet separately with the accused and the accuser to see what each says on the matter.

If the accused denies the charge, the two elders may arrange for him and the victim to restate their position in each other's presence, with elders also there.

If, during that meeting, the accused still denies the charges and there are no others who can substantiate them, the elders cannot take action within the congregation at that time.

This is because of their adherence to the Bible passage in Deuteronomy: "No single witness should rise up...".

However, even if the elders cannot take congregational action, they are expected to report the allegation to the branch office of Jehovah's Witnesses in their country, if local privacy laws permit.

As well as making a report to the branch office, the elders may be required by law to report even uncorroborated or unsubstantiated allegations to the authorities. In this case, they are expected to comply.

Additionally, the Jehovah's Witnesses publicity information states that the victim may wish to report the matter to the authorities, and it is his or her absolute right to do so.

www.SundayHerald.com News - July 14th 2002:

Jehovah's Witnesses accused of building 'paedophile paradise'

Scottish branch of world church alleged to have sheltered abusers and kept information from police
    By Torcuil Crichton

The Jehovah's Witnesses Church in Scotland stands accused of sheltering child abusers and keeping secret files of known paedophiles within the organisation which it refuses to share with police.

After a successful prosecution over child abuse within a Jehovah's Witnesses family in Ayrshire, Scottish police are understood to be preparing to bring a further case to court in the northeast.

The Jehovah's Witnesses church, which has six million members around the world, has been convulsed by revelations that its elders have protected sex offenders, failed to report accusations to the police and even punished children and families making accusations.

The Watch Tower, the church's worldwide head quarters in Brooklyn, is struggling to regain its battered authority after a string of child abuse cases stretching from the US to Scotland. An investigation by the BBC's Panorama programme has discovered that the Watch Tower Society keeps a worldwide database of members accused of child abuse. The list, which is claimed to contain more than 20,000 names, is based on details held by each Jehovah's Witnesses congregation and many of the names on that list have never been reported to the police.

Allegations of child abuse within the church first emerged in Scotland in the quiet seaside town of Stevenson in Ayrshire when 19-year-old Alison Cousins went to the police after being branded a liar by church elders to whom she had turned for help.

Cousins, who was brought up in the Jehovah's Witnesses, went to her church elders three years ago with the shocking allegation that her father, a respected member of the congregation, had been sexually abusing her.

Cousins, who followed the strict church rules that any allegations of wrongdoing must be dealt with within the congregation, broke down as she told her story to the men who dispensed moral guidance to the flock. In return she was told that she should do nothing.

'They told me that one of the scriptures in the Bible was that you should never take your brother to court,' Cousins told Panorama. 'And I said to them, 'Well what are you meant to do then if he's doing something wrong?' And they said, 'Come to us and we'll deal with it.''

The church law which dictates that members must turn to elders rather than the police also demands that there must be two witnesses to a crime before taking any action. The biblical citation for this is found in Deuteronomy 19:15: 'No single witness should rise up against a man respecting any error or any sin. At the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses the matter should stand good.'

In instances of child abuse, where there are no witnesses other than the child involved, critics of the church say the guide lines amount to a 'paedophile paradise'.

Eventually, because she didn't have corroborating witness state ments for the elders, Cousins went to the police last year and as their investigation began, she made a shocking discovery. Church elders had known for three years that her father had been abusing her older sister, that he had confessed to the church but that no action had been taken.

Her father, Ian Cousins, who has since been prosecuted and sentenced to five years in jail, had merely been reprimanded by the elders and sent home where his abuse simply shifted from one sister to the other.

The way Cousins's case was dealt with by the church is not an isolated incident. The Jehovah's Witnesses are now reeling from a series of scandals worldwide and allegations that its self-styled Child Protection Policy does nothing but protect abusers and fails to ensure allegations of abuse are reported to the authorities.

According to its critics, child abusers within the organisation are protected by its strict biblical laws and the threat that any member disregarding the advice of elders by going to the police faces the prospect of being denounced and cast out of the congregation.

The organisation insists that it has a strict child protection policy and defends the database of self-confessed offenders as part of its strategy of dealing with abuse without referring to the judicial system.

The church keeps the existence of the list a closely guarded secret. Watch Tower states that it uses the list to monitor the activities of the men who stand accused of raping and molesting children. But former members of the church claim that keeping the list secret effectively shields abusers and allows abuse to continue. In the American Bible belt of Kentucky, Bill Bowen, who has spent his lifetime as a Jehovah's Witness and more than 20 years as an elder, claims the organisation covers up abuse by keeping this database secret.

According to Bowen, who has become a thorn in the flesh of the organisation, his sources inside Watch Tower indicate there are 23,720 abusers on the secret list -- who are protected by the system.

'Every detail is written down about what happened ,' said Bowen. ' If this man moves anywhere, then if any allegation surfaces again, this is the way they monitor these people.'

The church in the UK and the US refuses to discuss the list or its details with anyone not personally involved in a case. It was that wall of anonymity that allowed Cousins's father to remain at home and unchecked with his daughters at risk.

Bowen began his campaign to expose the church after having to handle an abuse case in his own congregation and becoming disturbed by the pressure it puts on the victim.

'When an allegation of abuse happens, parents are required to go to the elders first,' said Bowen. ' If the abuser denies the charge, they will turn back to the child and say, 'Do you have two eye witnesses to what happened?' That means the child and one other witness .'

According to Bowen, if there is not a basis to establish the allegation with two witnesses, the pressure is then turned on the accuser. If there is no corroborating evidence, the members making the allegations are warned not to repeat them against an 'innocent' or cause division in the church on pain of being 'disfellowshipped' -- effective lifetime exile.

'They're told if they don't obey these elders that God will kill them, and how God kills them is that when you're disfellowshipped, you're viewed as being dead,' said Bowen. 'It's like the biblical edict of stoning. Your own mother and father will not acknowledge you in public. Your own children will not speak to you.

'And they have a choice, they can be silent and retain their family and every friend they've known for the last 40 years, or, if they speak out, they will lose all that overnight.'

The wall of silence around abuse cases and the stipulation that there must be two witnesses before any action is taken has prevented thousands of prosecutions, according to US police.

Jack Zeller, a US police officer who dealt with several child abuse cases sees the irony. 'Unfortunately, most kids don't have several witnesses observing them get raped,' he said.

The same levels of obstruction and unco-operativeness have been encountered by police in the UK tackling allegations of child abuse within the church. Police investigations into allegations of sexual abuse within the Jehovah's Witnesses community in Birmingham were frustrated for a long time by elders in the church.

Steve Colley, an investigating officer with West Midlands police, was shocked by the determination of elders not to co-operate with his inquiries into allegations of abuse in a Birmingham congregation.

'I was surprised,' said Colley. 'They actually said to me unless I could provide two Jehovah's Witnesses who'd actually seen the offence, then as far as they were concerned the offence hadn't taken place.'

Despite this, each congregation keeps copious records regarding any spiritual infraction or wrongdoing committed within the church. Records of Ian Cousins's abuse of his eldest daughter were lodged but were only obtained by Cousins under data protection legislation. The papers show that the Jehovah's Witnesses in Ayrshire and in the organisation's headquarters knew for three years before she asked them for help that her father was a self- confessed paedophile. Instead of enabling elders to monitor him, the records showed they twice turned a blind eye to his abuse of his daughters.

'It is a paedophile paradise created by Jehovah's Witnesses,' said Bill Bowen.

'An abuser can go into any congregation, remain anonymous, have access to more children through activities in the church, and all he has to do is just keep denying it and he will have the confidentiality clause in Watch Tower policy to enable him to continue .'

Panorama's Suffer Little Children is on BBC1 tonight at 10.15pm

The Press and Journal News - July 15th 2002:

CHURCH AT CENTRE OF PAEDOPHILE ALLEGATIONS

CLAIRE STEWART

The Jehovah's Witness Church in Scotland has vehemently denied allegations that it shelters paedophiles.

A Panorama programme screened last night on BBC TV claimed the church had records of known paedophiles within the faith that it refused to share with police.

The programme profiled an Ayrshire teenager who allegedly told elders at her church she was being abused by her father.

She claimed to have been told not to go to police, despite the fact that the man had already confessed to elders that he had abused her.

A spokesman for the British branch of Jehovah's Witnesses condemned paedophilia as "abhorrent" and stated the programme had failed to examine cases in which the church had approached the police.

The investigative programme claimed that the Watch Tower Society kept a worldwide database of members accused of child abuse. The list, which is claimed to contain more than 20,000 names, is based on details held by each Jehovah's Witness congregation and has many names that have never been reported to police.

Panorama claimed a code of silence existed within the faith based on Biblical teachings that members should turn to elders and not the police, and that members believed a crime had not taken place unless two members of the faith could give evidence of it.

Spokesman Paul Gilles yesterday denied that any Jehovah's Witness congregation would shelter a paedophile from the police.

"Sexual abuse of children is not just a terrible sin but also a crime that can leave lasting emotional scars on its victims," he said. "Jehovah's Witnesses everywhere abhor the sexual abuse of children and will not protect any perpetrator of such repugnant acts from the consequences of his gross sin."

Explaining why the church had chosen to snub the programme, Mr Gilles said: "We decided not to take part for two reasons.

"One is Jehovah's Witnesses are featured in the programme. We follow the Bible in everything we do and the way to resolve difficulties between spiritual brothers and sisters is not in the public.

"Our views are based on deeply held convictions which can't be expressed just in a few soundbites which might be edited. That's why we have chosen to address the allegations on our own website so we can give detailed answers in context."

However, the church did provide the programme with information on its policies towards child abuse.

Mr Gilles, speaking before the programme was aired, said he did not expect it to give an even-handed view.

"I don't expect it to be a balanced programme from what I have seen so far," he said. "They have highlighted cases which could have been handled better. We told them we can't discuss specific cases.

"They have trawled newspapers to find cases where things had gone wrong, but they didn't trawl newspapers to find cases where we had gone to the police."

The spokesman did accept there were cases of child abuse within the faith that could have been dealt with better and expressed regret at them.

Explaining the Jehovah's Witness process for reporting such matters, Mr Gilles said: "When a report is received, elders contact our national office in London for guidance to ensure that, firstly, the alleged victim and other potential victims are protected from possible abuse, and secondly that counsel is given to report crime to the proper authorities and to comply with any additional legal requirements.

"Jehovah's Witnesses further believe that it is the absolute right of the victim, his or her family or anyone else to report the matter to the authorities if they so choose. There are certainly no sanctions against any congregation member who reports an allegation of child abuse to the authorities."

About 8,600 Jehovah's Witnesses made the trip to Perth yesterday for the final day of the Zealous Kingdom Proclaimers Convention. The conference attracted visitors from throughout the UK and as far afield as the US. Organiser Bill Reid said: "The people of Perth have responded very well to us being here, from taxi drivers right the way through."

The Paducah Sun - July 20th 2002:

Bowen wants hearing delayed

* Former Jehovah's Witness elder Bill Bowen said he is unable to attend Wednesday's rescheduled hearing.

Staff and Wire Reports

DRAFFENVILLE, KENTUCKY,

A former Jehovah's Witness elder is asking that an excommunication hearing rescheduled for Wednesday be pushed back again because of the short notice.

Bill Bowen, 44, of Draffenville faces expulsion from the church f for publicly criticizing the church's handling of sexual abuse allegations. In a letter to the elder who will chair his judicial hearing, Bowen said he is unable to meet Wednesday and hoped to reschedule on "a date acceptable to all concerned."

Bowen had a hearing scheduled in May, but it did not take place, because the elders scheduled to bear the case did not show up, Bowen said.

Bowen resigned as, a church elder in December 2000 to protest the church's policy on handling sexual abuse cases. He has complained that child-sex allegations are generally not reported to secular authorities by the Jehovah's Witnesses because of the church's closed nature and insistence on handling, problems internally.

Church leaders have denied wrongdoing.

J. R. Brown, a spokesman for the ' denomination, has said that parents are not punished by the church for going to the police first in cases of child molestation.

He also said if the church judicial committee finds a member guilty of molestation the member is removed from all positions of responsibility and may not evangelize door-to-door without being accompanied by a fellow Jehovah's Witness.

Members of the church, even family members, are required to shun those who are excommunicated or disfellewshipped. Three others who have spoke out against the church's policies' have been disfellowshipped in recent months. They are Barbara Anderson, of Normandy Tenn. and Carl and Barbara Pandelo, of Belmar, NJ.

The Scottish News of the World - July 21st 2002:

Church 'harbouring fiends'

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES STORM

By Ken Adams

SCOTS Jehovahs Witnesses are harbouring dozens of sex beasts within their ranks, the News of the World can reveal.

Campaigner Bill Bowen claims that at least 40 perverts across Scotland have been allowed to evade justice because of a church cover up.

The 44-year-old has been swamped with e-mails after a BBC documentary lifted the lid on the Christian fundamentalists.

He said: Concerned parents tell me the abuse is happening right now and is being covered up by church elders.

These children need to be protected fast, yet the authorities have not been involved.

Attacked

Bill, a former Jehovahs Witness elder, founded the US victim support group silentlambs, after a member of his own congregation was attacked. He told us: "I got a call from one Scot whose wife had been sexually abused as a child. Her abuser has since moved to another congregation. He has not been convicted and is free to keep abusing."

Bill, from Benton, Kentucky, added: "I urged the couple to go to the police."

The News of the World was shown some of the e-mails sent by Scots victims. One revealed: "At the age of 10 I was molested by the son of an elder." Another victim wrote, "I was abused by my brother."

The church's sordid secrets were exposed when Alison Cousins told how she was molested by her father. The 19-year-old, of Stevenston, Ayrshire, went to cops after elders ignored her claims. Her father Ian, 43, was later jailed for five years.

The Paducah Sun Newspaper - July 25th 2002:

Bowen observes hearing from afar

The former Jehovah's Witness elder observed three elders enter Kingdom Hall. He said his request for another date was never answered.

By Matt Sanders, [email protected] -- 270.575.8650

DRAFFENVILLE, Ky. -- As a panel of three elders discussed his future within the Jehovahs Witnesses on Wednesday night, Bill Bowen sat in his pickup truck across the street from the Kingdom Hall.

Bowen, of Draffenville, faced disfellowship, or expulsion, from the church for publicly criticizing its handling of sexual abuse allegations. He had asked church officials to reschedule the hearing for a time that would be convenient for his witnesses. Bowen said he did not receive a response, and although he sat across the street from the church during the 30-minute hearing, he still refused to attend.

I saw three elders walk in, but there were no witnesses, Bowen said. For any allegation of wrongdoing to be established within the church, there have to be at least two witnesses. Who serves as their witnesses, the three judges? I am not going in there when they have no witnesses and my witnesses are not here. There is no justification. This is not fair, its not impartial, its just a kangaroo court.

Bowen has complained that child-sex allegations are generally not reported to secular authorities by the Jehovahs Witnesses because of the churchs closed nature and insistence on handling problems internally. He resigned as a church elder in December 2000.

Church leaders have denied wrongdoing.

The hearing began at 7:30, and Bowen, still in his pickup truck, said he saw the elders leave the church around 8, but they did not speak to him.

Before the hearing, George Bandarra, an elder in the Murray congregation and one of the elders reviewing Bowens case, said elders would not comment on the proceeding because it was a private church matter. He added that the elders would not make their verdict public but would telephone Bowen Wednesday night with the result. Bowen said the elders did not call.

A church hearing had been scheduled in May but did not take place, because the elders scheduled to hear the case did not show up. When the hearing was rescheduled for Wednesday, Bowen requested a postponement in writing because of short notice and said he had witnesses coming from California, Michigan, Tennessee, Florida and Louisiana.

Who schedules a meeting on a Wednesday night? I asked for a weekend meeting to give my witnesses time to come here. Its my right, according to church protocol, to be able to produce witnesses to speak on my behalf. (The elders) have not shown up twice, and when I have legitimate reasons for a postponement, they will not give me a reason.

I received no response from my letter. I received a letter from their attorney stating (the church) received my letter.

Bandarra did say the elders were picked from outside the Marshall County congregation to ensure an impartial verdict. He said after the elders review the case, they would pray and vote until a unanimous decision was reached. The other elders were Jeff Steen, also of Murray, and Ron Carey of Central City. Carey is an assembly overseer, who is in charge of the churchs circuit assembly, Bowen said.

Both Bandarra and Steen seemed concerned over the recent publicity that Bowens case has attracted, and again stated the case is a private matter. However, Steen mentioned that there are about 6 million Jehovahs Witnesses worldwide, and about 40,000 are disfellowshipped annually for various reasons.

Members of the church, even family members, are required to shun those who are disfellowshipped.

icBurmingham.co.uk News - July 26th 2002:

Church's stance attacked

By Staff Reporter, Evening Mail

A man whose son was sexually abused by a Jehovah's Witness has criticised the church after leaders said they would consider keeping the paedophile in their ranks.

The father, who cannot be named for legal reasons, claims Jaswant Patti is still a member of the church, which requires its congregation to be "morally clean".

A Jehovah's Witness spokesman confirmed the church is carrying out an internal investigation into the case, after which Patti could remain a member if he shows "genuine repentance".

Patti was jailed for five years in 1999 after he was found guilty of four offences of indecent assault and one other serious sexual assault against two boys, then aged nine and 14.

Following the conviction, church leaders of the Rubery Congregation of the Jehovah's Witnesses, in New Street, Rubery, backed Patti. Philip Price, one of the church's elders, even questioned the verdict, querying the strength of the evidence.

The father of one of the victims said: "The church has a policy of disfellowshipping which can be applied to a person who has got a smoking problem and finds it hard to give up.

"Why is it Jaswant Patti, who has been convicted and whose name will be on the sex offenders' register for the rest of his life, hasn't been disfellowshipped?"

The spokesman for the UK headquarters of the church said he was not able to comment on specific cases.

But he added: "If someone has committed repugnant acts they will be disfellowshipped but it depends on a person's attitude.

"If a person shows genuine repentance it might not mean they are expelled. That's what the elders in the congregation would have to determine.

"To be one of Jehovah's Witnesses you have to be morally clean and we try our utmost to keep the depraved out. The person would have to go a long way to prove they're genuinely repentant.

"If they remained a member they would never occupy a position of responsibility."

The Paducah Sun Newspaper - July 26th 2002:

Bowen learns of disfellowship

The former Jehovah's Witness elder said he will appeal the decision, but he expects his appeal to be denied.

By C.D. Bradley, [email protected] -- 270.575.8650

DRAFFENVILLE, Ky. -- Former Jehovah's Witness elder Bill Bowen, who resigned the leadership position in December 2000 to protest the church's handling of child molestation cases, was disfellowshipped after a brief hearing Wednesday night, he said Thursday.

Bowen said Jeff Steen of Murray, one of three elders on the committee, called him Thursday morning, but Bowen told the elders to communicate with his attorney, Rush Hunt of Madisonville, and hung up. Bowen said Steen then called Hunt and said Bowen had been disfellowshipped but provided no other information.

Neither Steen, nor the other elders on the panel George Bandarra of Murray and Ron Carey of Central City returned phone messages Thursday.

Bowen has said the church protects pedophiles by not reporting accusations to police and encouraging victims not to go to authorities to discuss the matter with anyone in the congregation. The church has denied any wrongdoing and claims it follows the law.

Bowen said he plans to appeal the decision, made at a hearing that Bowen had asked be rescheduled and was held without him. Bowen said he was across the street from the Kingdom Hall and the elders locked the door and blocked the windows. He added that the three elders appeared to be the only people present.

"The thing they have nailed to the wall is that they require two eyewitnesses before a child molester may be convicted" in the church, Bowen said. "I have flatly denied these charges against me, and they brought no witnesses against me. It's a vast inconsistency in the organization. If I was a child molester, they wouldn't have had a hearing. Because I'm a person who spoke out to protect children, they disfellowship me in 30 minutes."

Bowen said he received the return receipt from a letter Hunt mailed asking that the meeting be rescheduled so that his witnesses, coming from all over the country, could attend.

"They've stepped over about all their protocols, so I think they'll ignore my request for an appeal," Bowen said.

Bowen said being disfellowshipped which requires Witnesses, including family members, to shun him is the religion's equivalent of death.

"From my standpoint, the real crime is not disfellowshipping me," Bowen said. "The real crime is, now they're going to silence anyone in the organization who needs help or support. They will face disfellowshipping for logging onto the Web site."

Bowen, who started a support group for Witness abuse victims at www.silentlambs.org, said visitors to the site are split about evenly between current and former Witnesses.

Bowen becomes the fourth Witness disfellowshipped this year for speaking out on the issue, following Barbara Anderson, of Normandy, Tenn., and Carl and Barbara Pandelo, of Belmar, N.J.

The Courier-Journal - July 28th 2002:

Man vows to appeal Witnesses' expulsion

By Peter Smith
    [email protected]

A man is fighting a move by elders in the Jehovah's Witnesses to excommunicate him, saying he is being punished for his claims that church policies protect child molesters.

Bill Bowen of Benton, KY, says he will file an appeal Monday of a decision by three church elders to "disfellowship" him on charges of "causing divisions." Bowen said he was notified Thursday of the action after the elders met without him the previous evening.

If the excommunication is upheld by a separate three-elder appeals panel, Bowen would become the fourth person expelled this year from the church after criticizing policies on child molesters. The church denies such criticisms.

Jeff Steen, one of the elders who Bowen says decided to disfellowship him, would not confirm or deny the elders' action, saying church discipline is conducted confidentially in "a spirt of mildness, not confrontation."

Phone messages from The Courier-Journal were not returned by the other elders or by the press office of the Jehovah's Witnesses' headquarters in New York.

Bowen said the action against him is "absolutely not" justified.

"I have committed no sin against God; I have broken no law in the Bible," said Bowen, who resigned as an elder in December 2000 to protest church policies but had remained a member in good standing. "This is nothing but a kangaroo court to silence me."

Bowen contends Jehovah's Witnesses keep incidents of child molestation secret and refuse to let victims warn other members of predators in their congregations.

The Courier-Journal reported in February 2001 of court cases in several states in which Jehovah's Witnesses officials were accused of keeping secret the allegations of abuse by their elders or members, sometimes in violation of state law. Since then, new lawsuits making such claims have been filed in New Hampshire, Minnesota, and Washington state.

Officials with Jehovah's Witnesses have said that they abhor child molestation, report cases to authorities in states that require such reports and allow members to report fellow members to police.

Under church rules, Jehovah's Witnesses are to shun an expelled person socially as well as in religious contexts, and even family members are restricted in their relationships with disfellowshipped relatives.

Others expelled this year include Carl and Barbara Pandelo of Belmar, N.J., who have been outspoken in saying Jehovah's Witnesses treated their daughter's abuser with more compassion than her, and Barbara Anderson of Normandy, Tenn., a former employee at church headquarters in New York who has criticized church policy.

Anderson, who said she learned Sunday that her appeal was denied, said the church is acting ''so that Jehovah's Witnesses will feel that they are justified to say to others that we are liars.''

She said Bowen should not be punished for publicizing the issue. "It takes a very brave Jehovah's Witness to go forth and do what he did," Anderson said.

David Clohessy, national director of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, says Bowen is being treated similarly to whistleblowers in the molestation crisis in the Roman Catholic Church.

"The hierarchy should consider him a hero, not a pest," said Clohessy, who has corresponded with Bowen for 1 1/2 years.

Tribune Courier - August 4th 2002:

Witnesses expelled Bill Bowen

By Johnnie Davis, Tribune Courier Staff Writer

Former elder of the Draffenville congregation of Jehovahs Witnesses, William H. Bowen, received notification Thursday morning that he had been disfellowshipped.

Bowen resigned his position in December of 2000 as a way to protest the handling of child molestation cases by the church.

Three elders from congregations outside of made up the panel that decided to disfellowship Bowen. They were Jeff Steen and George Bandarra of Murray and Ron Cary of Central City.

Bowen has accused the church of protecting pedophiles by not reporting cases of child abuse brought before it. Church leaders deny wrongdoing and claim to follow the law.

"My purpose in doing this is to protect the children in the Jehovahs Witness community, Bowen said in an interview Friday. The children who come forth should be praised as heroes, not ostracized and treated as villains."

Bowen said he will appeal, which must be done within seven days of the disfellowship. The appeal was to be made on Monday. The panels decision is not final until it is announced to the congregation Thursday. Bowen said he anticipates the appeal committee to make it decision Friday. Bowen was to make his appeal before the three original panel members and three members of the appeal committee.

Disfellowship is the harshest of decisions made by Witnesses. It results in the person being shunned by Witnesses including members of his own family.

"Religion is protected by the First Amendment,' Bowen said. 'The religion will laugh at the courts if I try to pursue this legally."

Neither Bowen's attorney, Rush Hunt of Madisonville, nor members of the disfellowship panel could be reached for comment.

"It is the policy of the Watchtower to silence people by disfellowship, Bowen said, 'they want people silenced." The Watchtower is a Jehovahs Witness organization.

Bowen has started a support group for abuse victims at www.silentlambs.org.

NEW YORK TIMES - August 11th 2002 Edition:

Ousted Members Contend Jehovah's Witnesses' Abuse Policy Hides Offenses

By LAURIE GOODSTEIN

William Bowen always considered himself a devout Jehovah's Witness. As a child, he felt it was his duty to go door to door passing out the church's magazine, The Watchtower. Later, as an elder in his congregation, he said he saw it as his duty to inform church officials that a fellow elder had abused a child.

But when Mr. Bowen contacted the church's headquarters in Brooklyn, he says, he was rebuffed. Frustrated by the church's inaction and by its confidentiality provisions, which he said prevented him from sharing the information with others, Mr. Bowen resigned as an elder in December 2000. A year later, he started a group to monitor child sexual abuse in the church.

Late last month, Mr. Bowen, 44, was excommunicated from the church. Behind a locked door, with plastic bags taped over the windows to ward off onlookers, he said, three church elders meeting at the church's Kingdom Hall in Draffenville, KY, found him guilty of "causing divisions."

The punishment was "disfellowshiping" complete shunning.

In the past three months, four other people have been expelled from the Jehovah's Witnesses after accusing it of covering up the sexual abuse of children by its members. For Mr. Bowen and other critics of church policies on sexual abuse, the expulsions are part of a concerted effort to keep such abuses quiet.

Expelled Witnesses say the church's own policies and culture conspire to conceal abuse. A panel of church elders, all men, meets in secret to decide each case, a procedure which critics say prevents members from knowing there is an abuser in their midst. To prove an accusation, a child must have a witness to the incident, a condition that is usually impossible to meet.

"This is evidence for the world to see how the Jehovah's Witnesses treat abuse survivors and those who try to protect them," said Mr. Bowen. "They silence them with the threat of disfellowshiping."

J. R. Brown, director of the public information office at church headquarters, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, in Brooklyn, said the church had exemplary policies for handling sexual abuse, which were based on biblical standards and had been widely published in church magazines.

"We're not trying to say we handled everybody in the right way and our elders are all-knowing, all perfect," said Mr. Brown, who declined as a matter of policy to comment on individual cases, including Mr. Bowen's. "But we say, if you take what our policy is for keeping our organization clean morally, it far outpaces anybody else's."

While the Roman Catholic Church has been engulfed in its own sexual abuse scandal, the same issue is beginning to plague the Jehovah's Witnesses, a denomination that claims one million members in the and six million worldwide.

But the shape of the scandal is far different than in the Catholic church, where most of the people accused of abuse are priests and a vast majority of the victims were boys and young men. In the Jehovah's Witnesses, where congregations are often collections of extended families and church elders are chosen from among the laypeople, some of those accused are elders, but most are congregation members. The victims who have stepped forward are mostly girls and young women, and many accusations involve incest.

The scope of abuse in the Jehovah's Witnesses is a matter of considerable debate. The church has recently been sued by eight plaintiffs in four lawsuits alleging abuse, one filed in July in Minnesota. Mr. Bowen says that his victims support group, "silentlambs," has collected reports from more than 5,000 Witnesses contending that the church mishandled child sexual abuse.

The church keeps a database of members and associates who have been accused or found guilty of child abuse. Mr. Bowen said church sources had told him the database contained the names of more than 23,000 people in the , and . The church says the number is "considerably lower," but wilot say what it is.

The church has a firm framework for handling sexual abuse cases. Members who suspect abuse are advised to go first to the elders, who are considered spiritual and moral leaders to whom the members are to turn with their personal problems. Mr. Brown said that the church's legal department advised elders to follow the law in states that have mandatory reporting laws, and in cases in which children appear to be in danger.

The elders are the ones required to judge whether someone has committed a sin like child abuse. If the abuser confesses and is forgiven, the only notice given to the congregation is an announcement that the person has been disciplined. No reason is announced. However, the elders report the person's name to headquarters, where it goes into the database so that abuser is banned from serving in a position of authority.

"If a person can cry a good tune, there are virtually no repercussions and nobody besides the elders ever knows," said Jean Kraus, who said she went to elders in her Queens congregation years ago accusing her former husband of abusing their daughter. She said that he confessed, was reprimanded and was still an active Witness. "They told me that he wasn't a wicked man, that it was a weakness," she said.

The church spokesman, Mr. Brown, said: "We view such judicial hearings as an extension of our shepherding work as ministers. In other words, we're there to save a person's soul. In these cases we are not going to be vindictive because these are our brothers, and we would hope that they would change."

If the accused denies the allegation, the victim's testimony alone is not sufficient unless there is at least one other witness to the act. The church says its policy is based on a scriptural injunction in Deuteronomy 19:15 that says two or three witnesses are necessary to prove a man has sinned.

Heidi Meyer, a third-generation Jehovah's Witness in Annandale, Minn, said she went to her elders in 1994, when she was 15, to say that from the ages of 10 to 13 she had been repeatedly molested by a fellow Witness eight years her senior, the older brother of a friend. The only eyewitness was her brother, who had once seen the man grab her buttocks as she got out of a car.

The elders asked explicit questions that made her uncomfortable, she said. According to an internal Witness document "Pay Attention to Yourself and to All the Flock," the elders must determine in which category the accusation fits: if it was "uncleanness," a one-time touching above the waist; "loose conduct," touching below the waist or more than once above; or the most severe, "porneia," direct sexual stimulation or activity resulting in orgasm. Each offense carries different penalties, with the most severe for porneia.

The man she was accusing insisted that Ms. Meyer had misinterpreted what happened. The elders agreed.

"I was expecting spiritual guidance," Ms. Meyer said. "I was expecting them to genuinely, sincerely attempt to find justice and protect the rest of the congregation from this same thing happening. And none of that happened."

She, like several other alleged victims and theielatives, said in interviews that the elders warned her against reporting the abuse or talking about it with other members.

"They told me if I spoke about it with anybody, I needed to be careful because I could face a judicial committee for gossip or slander," she said. "If they felt I had committed that sin, I would be disfellowshiped."

Ms. Meyer says she learned only years later that Amber Long, another young woman in the congregation, had at age 12 gone to the elders with her parents to report that she had been molested by the same man. Ms. Long, who is now 23, said she and her parents received a letter from the Witnesses advising her to "leave it in Jehovah's hands."

"They said we shouldn't hold ill feelings about our brothers," Ms. Long said. "Since there weren't two eyewitnesses, they said there wasn't much they could do."

Neither Ms. Long nor Ms. Meyer is still active in the Jehovah's Witnesses. On July 2, the two women filed suit against the man they accuse of molesting them Derek Lindala, 30, of South Haven, Minn,-- the local congregation, and Jehovah's Witness headquarters. Mr. Lindala did not respond to a message left at his home seeking comment.

Barbara Anderson, of Normandy, Tenn, said that when she and her husband lived and worked at church headquarters in Brooklyn in the 1990's, she was asked to gather information about child abuse in the congregations. She said she handed over to church leaders dozens of letters complaining about how cases were handled. For her it was a revelation.

"Jehovah's Witnesses like to say that we have one of the most crime-free organizations," Mrs. Anderson said. "But all problems are taken to the elders, and the elders keep them quiet." She said that the documents prompted an internal debate among church leaders, and that when there was no action, she left headquarters disheartened in 1993, after 11 years of volunteering.

Carl A. Raschke, a professor of religious studies at the University of Denver who has written about the Jehovah's Witnesses, said the group was no different from many other insulaeligions that aspire to theological and moral purity.

"Groups that tend to be very tight-knit and in-grown historically have a higher incidence of sexual abuse and incest," Dr. Raschke said. "That's an ethnological fact. When a religion tries to be thoroughly holy or godly, it's not going to acknowledge that people aren't living up to the ideals of the faith."

On July 25, Mrs. Anderson was excommunicated. A week later her husband, Joe, who had earlier resigned as an elder after 42 years, was also expelled.

"It is inconceivable to think elders would investigate an allegation of murder to determine guilt or innocence, so why would we investigate an allegation of child abuse?" Mr. Anderson wrote in his resignation letter. "This is just not our field of expertise. We are ministers of God, not police."

The Paducah Sun Newspaper - August 16th 2002:

Witnesses elder says claims meritless, rules followed

The conductor of the church service wound up announcing earlier than planned that Bill Bowen has been disfellowshipped.

By Shelley Street, The Paducah Sun

DRAFFENVILLE, Ky.--When elders of the Jehovah's Witnesses congregation did not announce his disfellowshipment at the midpoint of Thursday's meeting, former elder Bill Bowen moved things along.

Interrupting elder Lee Stockwell, who was about to begin speaking on experiences that members have had while handing out biblical literature door to door, Bowen said, "I object to this announcement. I object to this proceeding. I have broken no biblical law. I have broken no law of the organization. The governing body has ordered my disfellowshipment to prevent my presentation of evidence that proves them to be lying hypocrites.

"I now am a silent lamb, as are the thousands of abuse survivors whose lives have been ruined by Watchtower policy on child molestation."

Stockwell started to speak over Bowen without addressing him, but Bowen became so loud that his attempt was futile.

Nearly 40 members of the congregation sat in shocked silence, listening. When Bowen was finished, Stockwell said, "William Harvey Bowen has been disfellowshipped."

"You got it," Bowen said and walked out of the meeting.

Bowen has said the church protects pedophiles by not reporting accusations to police and encouraging victims not to go to authorities to discuss the matter with anyone in the congregation. The church has denied any wrongdoing and claims it follows the law.

The actual decision to disfellowship Bowen was made July 24. He appealed, but he was told Monday that the decision had been upheld.

The disfellowshipment announcement had been scheduled for the end of Thursday's meeting, not the midpoint, Stockwell said.

"We've tried to follow what we consider theocratic arrangements, not make it into a media circus," Stockwell said in the first statement to the media by anyone connected with the congregation.

Of Bowen's outburst he said, "He's just trying to antagonize, to provoke some kind of conflict."

Stockwell said he had expected Bowen to try to interrupt the service in some way and even had spoken to the Marshall County Sheriff's Department earlier in the day about how the church should respond. The sheriff's department was not called Thursday night.

By church law, members even other members of his family are required to shun Bowen, his wife and children. "My children haven't seen their grandparents in two years," Bowen said.

The shunning started when Bowen arrived for the meeting.

"I was being spoken to by two elders," said Bowen, who attended the meeting alone. "Everyone else, I think, has been in terror just to speak to me. ... I walked in and nodded to a few people and said hello, and they just looked and turned away."

It had been 13 months since Bowen had attended a service.

"If he were in a life-threatening situation and he needed help, we'd help, but we're not going to socialize with him," Stockwell said. "If he were broken down on the side of the road, we'd help him."

Stockwell said Bowen's allegations of local child molestation are groundless, and he questioned other allegations, calling Bowen devious.

"It hurt the different ones here who knew him when he first moved here and considered him a friend ... For us it's a sad occasion that it has come to this."

Bowen said he doesn't blame his disfellowshipment on church members.

"The sad part is that none of these folks here understand," Bowen said. "They believe what the church has told them. These people are afraid to speak to me about this issue, because the church told them not to. So, I'm not angry with these people; I'm sad."

St. Petersburg Times Newspaper, Published August 22nd 2002:

Spiritual shunning

By SHARON TUBBS, Times Staff Writer

When Jehovah's Witnesses excommunicate, or "disfellowship," a member, even the closest human ties can be severed without question.

ST. PETERSBURG -- As far as her children and 6-million people around the world are concerned, Shirley Jackson is as good as dead, has been for seven years.

In 1995, Jackson, a home health care worker and a nanny who lives in St. Petersburg, was "disfellowshipped," or excommunicated, from Jehovah's Witnesses. Disfellowshipping is among the Witnesses' highest forms of discipline, reserved for those who disobey religious teachings and will not repent.

Witnesses are told to immediately shun the disfellowshipped, who are said to be certain to die at Armageddon. Witnesses must pass them on the street without so much as a hello. Sons, daughters, mothers and fathers are expected to cut off relatives, making exceptions only in cases of family business or emergency.

"No matter what they tell you, you will always be my daughter and I will always love you," Jackson recently wrote in a letter to her daughter, to no avail. Rather than strengthen families, Jackson says, the Witnesses tear them apart.

Disfellowshipping is little known to outsiders, who recognize Witnesses only as the people who pass out magazines on Saturday mornings. But scandal in the denomination has opened a door to its core beliefs and operations.

In recent months, at least three Witnesses were disfellowshipped after talking to Dateline NBC about church leaders' handling of child molestation allegations. The action made national headlines and spurred former Witnesses worldwide to step forward with their stories.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe disfellowshipping is an act of love, intended to inspire sinners to change their ways so they eventually can apply to be readmitted to the faith.

The sanction is based on I Corinthians 5, which directs Witnesses to "remove the wicked from among yourselves" and is necessary, said Witnesses national spokesman J.R. Brown, to preserve the religion's "moral integrity and cleanliness" in a corrupt world soon to be destroyed by God Jehovah.

Jehovah's Witness elders -- all are men -- are the equivalent of ministers in other religions. Though unpaid, they take on responsibilities such as teaching Bible lessons and passing on denomination policy. They also investigate Witnesses accused of committing crimes against other Witnesses. In some of these cases, the police are never called.

Among the elders' primary tasks is serving on small judicial committees that hear confessions and decide whether an offense is worthy of excommunication.

Excommunications are announced to the congregation, but elders never say why a person was expelled. Witnesses can only guess from a long list of offenses that range from smoking cigarettes to manslaughter. Homosexuality, fornication, drunkenness, slander, fraud, gambling, apostasy, fits of anger and violence, and adultery are others.

The excommunication announcement tells members to begin shunning that person. If they don't, they, too, risk being disfellowshipped. Fear of being disfellowshipped is gripping for many Witnesses. Because they believe that only Witnesses will be saved from death, many don't associate with non-Witnesses.

Being disfellowshipped, then, means losing your circle of friends, not to mention family members who remain in the faith.

Elders disfellowship 50,000 to 60,000 Witnesses around the world each year, Brown said.

"It's not an unusual occurence, as far as we're concerned," he said.

Jackson, 54, had been a Witness for nearly 20 years when she began having doubts.

In 1993, she said, her husband gathered his belongings in the middle of the night and abandoned her as she and her children slept. She said he had been violent, and she decided to divorce him. But Witnesses told her the only biblical justification for divorce is adultery, which she could not prove he had committed.

Jackson was also on shaky ground with the Witnesses because she had close friends who were not in the faith, she said. In interviews, Jackson and several others said Witnesses are not allowed to socialize with non-Witnesses unless they are proselytizing.

Brown, the Witnesses' spokesman, said this is not true, although differing interests sometimes make such relationships difficult.

After her husband left her, Jackson continued going to the Kingdom Hall five times a week and performing 10 hours of door-to-door service each month, but she didn't feel very spiritual. One day while going door to door, Jackson mentioned to another Witness, "When I go into a Kingdom Hall, I don't feel God's presence is there."

She became even more disillusioned in the mid 1990s when, she said, elders dismissed her suspicions that a fellow Witness was sexually abusing his 8-year-old daughter. No one called the police.

But law enforcement authorities eventually got involved, and the girl was found in a trashed home, having eaten ketchup sandwiches to quell hunger, Jackson said. Some months later, Kenneth Donald Weaver was arrested and placed on community control in 1995 for sexual activity with a child. Weaver, who has a lengthy criminal history, is now in prison.

Wavering in her beliefs, Jackson decided not to attend an annual assembly for Witnesses.

Her daughter was upset and told elders. They went to her home for a visit. They had charges against her, Jackson said:

One charge was "speaking out against a brother" with regard to the child molestation, she said. She said they told her to stop cavorting with her non-Witness friends. And someone had told them what she had said about not feeling God's presence in the Kingdom Hall.

The elders told her she had 24 hours to change her ways, Jackson said. She refused to comply and was disfellowshipped, her name announced in front of the congregation. She was not present.

Her daughter was 17 at the time. She moved out to live with other Witnesses, has not held a conversation with Jackson since and is now married and living in Alabama.

Two of Jackson's three sons are also Witnesses and don't speak to her, she said.

As with the Catholic Church, child molestation cases have brought the inner workings of Jehovah's Witnesses to the forefront. One case in Kentucky prompted former elder William Bowen to start asking questions.

At the center of the cases is the two-witness rule. The Witnesses abide strictly by their Bible, the New World Translation. The translation is published by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, the nonprofit organization in Brooklyn, N.Y., that acts as the Witnesses' headquarters and overseer.

Deuteronomy 19:15: No single witness should rise up against a man respecting any error or any sin, in the case of any sin that he may commit. At the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses the matter should stand good.

As far as the Watch Tower is concerned, that means Witnesses can't take action against someone unless at least two people can verify an offense happened.

That standard is difficult to meet in cases of child molestation, where often only the victim and perpetrator are present.

About two years ago, Bowen began to suspect that a fellow elder in his congregation near Paducah was abusing the elder's daughter. In a review of Witness files, Bowen found that the elder had previously been accused of molesting someone else. Bowen says he got further proof that the daughter might also have been molested.

In keeping with Witness policy, he called the Watch Tower's legal department in Brooklyn for guidance. The department is staffed with lawyers who are Jehovah's Witnesses.

When Bowen described the situation, he says, he was told there was nothing to be done -- the man had denied it, so there weren't enough witnesses. He would have to "leave it in Jehovah's hands."

Other former Witnesses who served as elders around the nation have since reported similar experiences.

Disgusted, Bowen resigned as an elder and started a nonprofit organization and a Web site for Witnesses who were victims of molestation.

Thousands logged onto his "silent lambs" site, he says. Many told stories of abuse that elders did not believe.

Bowen, 45, went public with his story. He and several other Witnesses were featured on Dateline NBC. One woman, Barbara Anderson, had worked in the Watch Tower's research department and was concerned that the organization wasn't following up on abuse cases.

Bowen contends that tipsters told him the organization keeps a database with the names of 23,000 accused molesters.

Brown, the Witnesses' spokesman, would not discuss specific cases, but he scoffed at allegations that Witnesses protect child molesters. Yes, Witnesses believe in the two-witness rule, he said, but that's not the only way wrongdoers can be caught.

"It cannot be said that we will do nothing unless there are two witnesses," Brown said. He said Witnesses are not required to report crimes to elders before calling civil authorities. Victims and their families are free to call police at will, he said, although some don't choose to.

Elders' investigations work hand-in-hand with what Witnesses sometimes call "Caesar's law," Brown said. "We're not handling the criminality of this," he said. "We're handling the sin."

The Watch Tower does keep records of people accused of molestation, but the number in the database is far fewer than 23,000, he said, declining to give a specific figure.

Watch Tower officials use the database to ensure that a person against whom a credible allegation of molestation is made won't be elevated to positions of authority. Also, Brown said, if a person is accused in separate incidents, Witness officials have a record of that history and will look into the matter seriously.

After the Dateline program aired in May, Bowen, Anderson and Anderson's husband were disfellowshipped. A couple who said their daughter had been abused by a Witness were also threatened with excommunication.

The modern Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society began with a small group of Bible students near Pittsburgh and was incorporated in 1884. Back then, about 50 believers traveled door-to-door full time, spreading their beliefs.

They were largely successful in the next few years in convincing people that the end of the world, or Armageddon, was imminent and that only Jehovah's Witnesses would survive.

Witnesses don't believe in a burning hell. Non-Witnesses will simply be killed in the end. The vast majority of Witnesses will live forever on Earth, which will become a paradise once rid of the evil perpetuated by a society of nonbelievers. A select group of Witnesses -- 144,000, to be exact -- will live in heaven with Jesus Christ. This, based on a passage in the Book of Revelation, is referred to as "the heavenly hope."

The denomination's governing body and a workforce of other Witnesses operate a massive and well-organized religious base with a legal department, publishing house and printing facilities that ship Witness literature and Bibles all over the globe.

The Watch Tower keeps detailed accounts of the number of hours each Witness goes door-to-door, the number of home Bible studies completed and records of those who have been disfellowshipped.

The governing body also establishes policy for Witnesses to live by that it says is based on the Bible. Witnesses cannot vote, receive blood transfusions or salute the flag, among other restrictions.

Not even the marriage bed is beyond the Watch Tower's purview.

Brown said Witnesses believe that sexual activity between men and women should "follow the normal course" of things. "We feel that oral or anal intercourse would go beyond that."

Couples are often counseled accordingly before marriage, Brown said. Guilt-ridden Witnesses have gone before judicial committees to confess wayward sex acts with their spouses.

The Watch Tower predicted several times in the 1900s that Armageddon would occur. The organization grew as people were baptized Witnesses, hoping to join the only "true" religion before it was too late.

Joseph F. Rutherford, once the Watch Tower's president, was convinced that 1925 would mark the year that forefathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob would return to earth. Rutherford had a large mansion built in California so they would have a place to live. The mansion was later sold.

Decades passed. Then Witnesses declared that the end would arrive in 1975. Some sold their homes, packed up and hit the road, going door-to-door to recruit as many people as they could. Young adults refused to go to college. Couples put off having children.

Diane Gholson of Spring Hill was among those anticipating Armageddon. In 1974, she feverishly wrote letters to her husband's Baptist relatives, begging them to become Witnesses before it was too late.

"When it didn't come, my husband said, 'Maybe they're off by a year,' " she said.

They waited. And waited.

By 1980, Gholson said, they'd had enough. In 1982, they were part of a group of Witnesses who participated in a march at Watch Tower headquarters. Watch Tower leaders, they charged, were nothing more than "false prophets."

Gholson was disfellowshipped.

Shirley Jackson, who had been baptized in 1974 in case the end did come, was unswayed, however. She accepted the Watch Tower's explanation that the "light" of God's word was getting brighter.

Brown says disfellowshipping inspires wrongdoers to come back to the religion. Those who want to reapply can do so, but they must adhere to Witnesses' policies. They are allowed inside the Kingdom Halls but are ignored by the other congregants until readmitted to the faith.

Each year, Brown said, 30,000 to 40,000 are reinstated, having "come back to their spiritual senses."

Jackson now goes to Glad Tidings Assembly of God church in St. Petersburg. She is happy there and says she can sense God's presence in the sanctuary. She regrets ever believing what the Witnesses taught her.

Only her youngest child, a 17-year-old son, was not baptized a Witness. He lives with Jackson and her new husband.

"It hurts," Jackson said of her broken family. "But I'm not bitter. I want to help people who are going through this."

-- Times researcher Cathy Wos contributed to this report --

The Toronto Sun Newspaper - September 1st 2002:

www.torontosun.com

REPORTER'S EMAIL: [email protected]

Woman sues church

Claims Jehovah's Witnesses hid sex abuse

By BRODIE FENLON -- Toronto Sun

A New Brunswick woman claims two Jehovah's Witness elders and the Canadian church hid the sexual abuse she says she suffered at the hands of her father.

The woman, whose trial begins next Monday in Toronto, is suing the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Canada and two elders of her former congregation in Shelburne, just north of Orangeville, for $700,000.

The church and elders Brian Cairns and Steve Brown deny any wrongdoing and plan to fight the action in court.

The 31-year-old stay-at-home mom, whom The Sun won't name, says in her statement of claim that she was sexually abused by her father from age 11 to 14. The abuse was never reported.

Years later, while working in Toronto as a live-in nanny, the woman claims she suffered from guilt and severe depression.

She approached the elders in her Jehovah's Witness congregation, who turned for advice to church headquarters in Georgetown.

INTERNAL HANDLING

She says in her statement of claim that the main branch advised the case be dealt with internally by the Shelburne congregation and "advised the Toronto congregation three times not to report the abuse to the Children's Aid Society (CAS)."

In her claim, the woman says that Cairns, Brown and the Watchtower Society:

# Refused to report suspicions of child sex abuse to the CAS as required by Ontario law.

# Conspired to hide or bury the charge internally.

# Told the woman she didn't need psychiatric or psychological counselling as "God's way alone would be beneficial."

# Forced the woman to confront her abuser and relive the abuse through repeated interrogation that caused her "permanent emotional injury."

Church spokesman Clive Thomas said that while the church has sympathy for her case, the lawsuit is misdirected.

"The elders were trying to provide her with spiritual help during a difficult time and the elders feel that she is basically biting the helping hand," he said.

In their statement of defence, the defendants insist the elders "were instrumental in ensuring the matter was reported" to CAS by the father. No charges were ever laid.

No one hindered the woman from seeking help from psychologists or psychiatrists, the statement of defence says.

As well, the church argues the woman never sued her father, and never complained to the elders or church about how her case was handled until the lawsuit was filed in 1998.

None of the allegations in either the claim or defence have been proven in court.

'READY TO FIGHT THEM'

"I have so much anger ... that I'm ready to fight them until the end," the woman said in an interview with The Sun.

"They don't realize the damage that they have done to people and to myself," she said. "I don't care if you want to be a Jehovah's Witness. All I'm saying is that the way they deal with child abuse is wrong and it has to be stopped."

The Toronto Sun Newspaper - September 1st 2002:

Storm in the hall

Jehovah's Witnesses deny secrecy in dealing with family sexual abusers

By Brodie Fenlon -- Toronto Sun

Jehovah's Witnesses vehemently condemn child abuse. But several victims from within the sect have gone public in recent months claiming that "monsters" are hiding behind the church's policy on handling child abuse.

Critics say the policy favours secrecy and the redemption of the sinner at the expense of victims.

The policy creates "a pedophile paradise," said Bill Bowen, of Kentucky, a former senior minister with the Watchtower and Bible Tract Society, who left in protest after 43 years.

"There's a sly, devious evil that's happening ... and Witnesses are not even aware of it," said Bowen, who launched a victim support group in 2000 called Silent Lambs.

Clive Thomas, spokesman for the Canadian church, said the accusations are unfair. While the church is concerned about the spiritual well-being of abusers, he said, "We care about children. We do not condone or take a soft view of child sexual abuse or any other abuse."

Bowen said he's already heard from more than 5,000 victims of abuse since he set up his Web site (www.silentlambs.org/).

The church keeps a database of all members accused of abuse at its world headquarters in Brooklyn, N.Y. Bowen said church sources have told him the database holds more than 23,700 names from the U.S., Canada and Europe. The church admits the database exists, but won't give a specific tally, saying only that the number is much lower.

Some of the victims' stories -- of betrayal and coverups at the hands of church leaders -- have grabbed headlines in the U.S. and Britain. Bowen said the American church is facing seven lawsuits over the handling of claims of abuse.

As The Toronto Sun has learned, the Canadian church is not immune to the growing scandal.

A New Brunswick woman is scheduled to take the stand in a Toronto court next week in her lawsuit against the Canadian branch and two elders over allegations they concealed abuse she suffered when she approached them years later as an adult. The church denies the allegations.

The Canadian church also keeps a database. Though Thomas wouldn't say how many are on it, he confirmed 12 abusers have been identified in Ontario in the last two years.

In his book, Father's Touch, Donald D'Haene describes how he was repeatedly sodomized, fondled and abused in what his father called "a game."

In 1973, a family member shared the secret with an elder in the family's Jehovah's Witness congregation in Aylmer. Following church protocol, elders investigated and spoke to the D'Haene children. The questions they asked were "cold, blunt, and matter of fact," D'Haene, 41, recalls in the book.

His father confessed. The elders announced to the congregation that he was "disfellowshipped," or excommunicated from the church, but no reason was given. D'Haene's mom was also publicly rebuked for failing to come to church leaders.

No one called police or Children's Aid.

Donald D'Haene went to police several years later. In 1982, his father was convicted of three counts of gross indecency for what the judge called "indescribably vile acts."

"Religion doesn't create monsters," D'Haene said. "Monsters use religion."

Winnipeg's Shirley Hardiman was 11 in 1963 when she says her mom's boyfriend sexually abused her. Her mom reported it to elders of their Montreal congregation.

"They told my mother to keep it quiet, to send me away," she says.

Hardiman spent the next five years in foster care until she was reunited with her mother at age 16. Her abuser, who died 10 years ago, was never reprimanded by the church, she said.

"There's this really strong belief that you can not do or say anything that brings shame on the organization," said Hardiman, 50, who now works as an abuse counsellor.

Times have changed. Church elders in Canada are required by law to report allegations of sexual abuse to authorities and were ordered by the church in 1988 to comply with the law.

"We abhor the molestation of children," the church says in a press release. "It is not just a terrible sin but also a crime ... We do not protect any perpetrator of such repugnant acts."

While secular authorities are notified of allegations, the abuse is also investigated internally by elders, who are considered administrators of God's law.

Elders are required first to contact church headquarters in Georgetown, where a lawyer instructs them on how to handle the allegations. Two elders are then appointed to investigate. Family members, the victim and the accused are interviewed, sometimes together, and explicit detail is sought.

If the accused denies the abuse happened, the charge is dropped unless another witness can corroborate the story.

That rule is based on the Biblical book of Deuteronomy: "No single witness should rise up against a man respecting any error or any sin."

In effect, the child's accusation is dismissed unless another person saw the abuse or another child comes forward with an allegation against the same church member.

"We are bound by the scriptures," Thomas said. "But we would still report it to the authorities with only one witness" so the victim gets "the protection of the secular authorities."

But abuse is seldom reported in jurisdictions where there is no mandatory reporting requirement, Bowen said.

If the pedophile confesses the sin, he is punished, often by disfellowship. A permanent confidential record is kept by the elders and the Georgetown office is notified. But the congregation is never told of the crime -- only the punishment.

Family members and the victim are also forbidden from talking about abuse to other congregation members.

Disfellowship, or excommunication, involves being shunned by the community and family for at least a year. The shunned member is still expected to attend meetings.

Should a pedophile move to another congregation, elders there are notified and records transferred.

Thomas said elders must protect the privacy of an accused, especially if he has repented, but are instructed to carefully monitor him and prevent him from being alone with kids.

Bowen, who was excommunicated last month after being found guilty of "causing divisions," decried the process, noting the cloak of secrecy allows pedophiles to go door to door "witnessing" without anyone but the elders in the know. The requirement of two witnesses is ridiculous in cases of sex abuse, he said. And though elders may be well-meaning, they aren't trained to question or handle victims, he said.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

# A Christian sect with 6 million members (110,000 in Canada).

# Founded in the 1870s as a Bible study group by Pastor Charles Taze Russell.

# Witnesses do not celebrate Christmas or Easter. They believe Armageddon is imminent and that they will survive.

# Witnesses believe taking blood into the body through the mouth or veins violates God's law, and thus they shun blood transfusions.

# They will not swear allegiance to any organization or nation. As a result, Witnesses will not join the armed forces, sing the national anthem, vote in elections or run for public office.

I will post more soon.

Edited by - UnDisfellowshipped on 2 September 2002 7:19:17

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Thanks Grits for that Great Post!!!

I had never even seen or heard of that German TV Story before!

I'll try to add more News Stories on this Thread soon.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped
    Here are MORE Newspaper Articles and Website News Articles:

Guardian U.K. Newspaper - June 10th 2002:

Sect demands biblical proof

Stephen Bates, religious affairs correspondent, Guardian

Elders of the Jehovah's Witnesses in the have been given instructions to deal with pedophiles after a series of damaging revelations.

But its critics say that the sect's decision to accept accusations only if the abuse has two independent witnesses is unlikely to solve the problem.

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, its headquarters in Brooklyn, New York, is used to implicit obedience and is struggling to regain its battered authority.

In a letter to be read at services, it says: "We abhor the sexual abuse of children and will not protect any perpetrator of such repugnant acts ...

"However, we must bear in mind the Bible's clear direction: 'No single witness should rise up against a man respecting any error or any sin. At the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses the matter should stand good (Deuteronomy )."

The church, which has 6 million members around the world, has been convulsed by the revelation that its elders have protected sex offenders, refused to report accusations to the police, and even punished children and families making accusations.

Two members have been charged with "disrupting the unity of the congregation" and "undermining confidence in Jehovah's arrangement" foepeating their accusations on an NBC television program.

Barbara Anderson, a former headquarters employee who claimed to have seen hundreds of suppressed files of accusations, was expelled after a private hearing held in her absence. The case against the second, Bill Bowen, a elder, has been postponed.

Mr Bowen was so alarmed by the suppression of allegations that he created a website, silentlambs.org, to investigate the scale of the problem.

He told NBC: "It's a pedophile's paradise within the organization. I believe that. I believe it with all my heart."

THE FOLLOWING GERMAN NEWS ARTICLE WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED BY BILL BOWEN ON JUNE 13th 2002:

"This is a rough I repeat rough translation of the article. This is the German equalivant of 'Time' magazine according to the reporter.

silentlambs"

SPIEGEL ONLINE - June 12th 2002:

URL: http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,198436,00.html

Child abuse with the Jehovah's Witnesses

The Silence of the Lambs

By Alexander Schwabe

Weighty accusations are being raised by Jehovahs Witness against their own religious community. The organization protects child molesters from prosecution by legal authorities. Some of the critics are being disfellowshipped for speaking out.

Hamburg -Since his birth for 44 years William H. Bowen from Calvert City Kentucky was a faithful Jehovahs Witnesses. For many years he pioneered for the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, spending thousands of hours placing literature at the homes of his neighbors. As he went from door to door his purpose was the assist his fellowman to serve Jehovah and have the hope of living forever in Gods kingdom. As a young man, Bill Bowen followed the usual expectations, served two years in "Bethel", defined as the "house of God", Bethels are located around the world, it is an institution, in which according the a booklet called Dwelling together in Unity from 1990, it provides the following regulations, any woman who becomes pregnant is sent home, all doors are locked to the outside world, only one telephone to the outside is provided, which may be used only with the permission of superiors, and at Bethel all members must work daily eight hours for the interests of kingdom for the benefit of Gods work.

Bowen, who makes a living by the production of fragrance candles, had many privileges within the organization due to his long years of service. He served in many managerial and administrative functions within the church. He had participated in well over one hundred judicial committees, in which of the failure of brothers and sisters were judged in one of his last administrative capacities he had to face a decision: Should he stick to the theocratic rules of the Watchtower that were required to be followed, or should he make public that there were sexual crimes in Jehovahs organization.

"Leave it in Jehovah's hands"

In the year 2000 Bowen was faced with a problem involving a fellow Elder in the Congregation, it was discovered in records that this elder had molested a child on multiple occasions. The chairman of the original committee within the local witness community decided to keep the case hidden. Bowen contacted the Circuit Overseer, which wanted to keep matters quiet also, according to Bowen.

When the man from Kentucky called the Legal Department at headquarters of Watchtower in Brooklyn New York, the accused elder was finally removed, but Bowen however was tacitly instructed to leave the reporting to police, "in Jehovahs hands.

The candle maker decided not to follow the instructions from Brooklyn. Instead to protest Watchtower Policy by resigning as Presiding Overseer and elder at his congregation in Draffenville, Kentucky, and take the case public to bring attention " to the public the fact that children were being hurt and Watchtower policy must change."

In order to increase the pressure on leadership within the Watchtower home office to act "in the interest of the flock, Bowen created the website www.silentlambs.org , in the course of the last year more than one thousand Jehovahs Witnesses tell their stories of sexual crimes within the church. "The lambs were silent for a long time", says Bowen. Now they have a place, where molestation survivors can speak out and take legal action against those who hurt them.

"Thousands are sexually abused"

Erica Rodriguez had been raped as a child from the age of four to eleven years on a weekly basis. In the January she filed a lawsuit for how she was treated when she came forward about her abuse. The elders encouraged and supported not Erica but the former best friend of her parents, Manuel Beliz, 49, who was sentenced in the fall of 2001 to eleven years prison for molesting her. In the civil action submitted in the Federal Court for the State of Washington raises similar issues against the Watchtower as Bowen. She accuses them that, child molesters find on a routine basis "refuge, protection, sympathy and support", and often escape prosecution. The 23-year old estimates that the Watchtower organization has "thousands" of children and young people that are sexually abused.

This is basically untrue, says the Watchtower Public Information response in Brooklyn. The Governing Body of Jehovahs Witnesses claim an outward appearance of having a proper and progressive approach when it comes to sexual misconduct. "If church elders learn of child abuse, they proceed strictly in accordance with local laws, if it is required they report it", in a statement of the Brooklyn office for Public Information from January 2001. It is neither forbidden to the victims or their parents nor is it discouraged to report child abuse to the authoritys even if the accused one of is a Jehovahs Witness.

"God will kill you"

The truth according to Bowen is quite different. Hundreds of abused were afraid of making statements because they were intimidated and threatened. Should one dare nevertheless to open their mouth they could count on sharp punishments to the point of disfellowshipment. When a person is disfellowshipped the organization requires that no one of the faith including immediate family will even speak to the individual who is being punished. Bowens father was forced to state on a video, which was passed on the press, his son is a liar - although Bowen father was not even aware of the case he was dealing with. His fellow brothers and sisters spread malicious rumors about his personal conduct and his family. Bowens parents and his mother-in-law want to have nothing more do in the meantime with their grandchildren. In letters they have communicated: "God will kill you for your point of view."

They are obviously holding to the Jehovahs Witness theology that is to always protect the image of the organization at all costs. Bowen says: "The sad truth is that no Jehovahs Witness is allowed to criticize Watchtower leadership."

"Pedophile Paradise"

Bowen criticized it. In a letter to the Governing Body of Jehovahs Witnesses that world-wide has approximately six million followers, on the surface they claim to have a world wide brotherhood," Bowen accuses the brotherhood of protecting child molesters by a "code of the silence". The Watchtower organization has became a "Pedophile paradise," due to directives, which are authorized by the Governing Body.

It would be considered traumatic to have the victim, through church directives, to be required to face the molester in a meeting, in which parents and victim describe in detail before the elders, how they were raped. The elders decide if a crime has been committed instead of allowing the police to investigate first. In the event the accused denies the allegation the victim is then required to produce at least one witness to the act of abuse - which is often not possible in the case of child molestation. If the victim pursues the matter by telling fellow congregation members then they could face disfellowshipping.

John Robert Brown, director of the office of Public Information at the home office in Brooklyn, rejects what Bowen says. Brown states they do not confront molested child with the accused in presence of parents and three elders. Also they never threaten anyone with disfellowshipping. Even persons, who were found guilty of serious sins in the organization, could remain a Jehovahs Witness, if they were found repentant by a judicial committee. If an individual was found guilty of child molestation, he cannot under any circumstances serve as an elder. "Elders are religious leaders, says Brown.

The most hated man within the organization

"All lies!" says Bowen, which became in the meantime the most hated man within the organization. It is very likely he will be disfellowshipped. At the end of May he appeared with Erica Rodriguez, California, married couple Carl and Barbara Pandello, New Jersey, and Barbara Anderson, Normandy TN, - all together as Jehovahs Witnesses-on NBC. The program "DATELINE" reported a problem with the way child molestation is handled within the church.

The Pandellos reported, their daughter had been molested by her own grandfather Clement, a Jehovahs Witness, for several years. In 1989 Clement Pandello was sentenced to undergo therapy and received five years probation through the court. Pandello was disfellowshiped for only 18 months when he was reinstated as a Jehovahs Witness in good standing. When the determinations suggested the suspicion that Clement had molested little girls for four decades - among other things also another grandchild -, in 1994 again he was disfellowshipped but in 1996 he was again reinstated and once again accepted back into the Jehovahs Witness community.

Anthony Valenti who appeared in court at the hearing of the Pandellos had stated under oath, as an elder he had encouraged the victims to not report the matter to the police regarding Clement Pandello. The record of the court shows Valenti justified his advice with a reference to the Bible verse, which stated not to take your brother to court.

Disfellowshipping Unrepentant Sinners

Erica Rodriguez repeated to DATELINE the way she was treated when she reported her molestation. When she informed the elders at her congregation in Sacramento of the sexual abuse of Beliz who was not yet disfellowshipped, the elders told her to not report the crime to the police. They went on to threaten her with disfellowshipping if she tried to report the matter: "if you go to the police, you will be condemned by God."

The Governing Body in Brooklyn meanwhile has appointed committees, to provide a solution on how to deal with this problem. A decision has been made on how to deal with those who have spoken out and are considered traitors. The Pandellos have already been disfellowshipped. The reason has nothing to do with them speaking out publicly, says the world headquarters. Also it has no connection with the NBC program. A Judicial hearing is also moving against Barbara Anderson, who served ten years in the world headquarters at Bethel and now assists in Bowens project "silentlambs" she also is being disfellowshipped. When asked for the basis Brooklyn says the procedures are confidential. Anderson was delivered a letter, in which the disfellowshipping was announced. Anderson is in the process of appealing the decision.

A judicial hearing arranged against Bill Bowen was canceled with no notice according to his statement, after he appeared for his hearing with 20 witnesses, who supported his position. Erica Rodriguez to date has not been summoned for a judicial hearing for appearing on Dateline according to Bowen, due to having filed civil actions against the organization.

Newsweek Magazine; New York; June 24th, 2002; Julie Scelfo;

Witness to shame

Volume: 139
    Issue: 25
    Start Page: 81
    ISSN: 00289604
    Subject Terms: Scandals
    Sex crimes
    Religion
    Child abuse & neglect
    Companies: Jehovahs Witnesses
    Watchtower Bible & Tract Society
    Abstract:

Full Text:

RIPPLE EFFECTS

Another religion faces a scandal of its own

As Roman Catholic bishops issued a mea culpa last week, Jehovah's Witnesses, a cloistered group of 980,000, moved closer to facing a sex-abuse scandal of their own.

In January a woman from Sacramento, Calif., filed a lawsuit charging that church leaders knowingly failed to notify civil authorities that she was raped by a member of her congregation.

A former church leader in Maryland was indicted in February for sexually assaulting three women who saythey were told by elders not to report the abuse, and were excommunicated when they did.

After additional stories aired recently on TV, a victims' support group run by William H. Bowen was deluged with e - mails and phone calls. "Catholics only protect the priests. Jehovah's Witnesses do it for any member of the church," says Bowen, a former elder from Kentucky.

Sara Poisson says that prior to her husband's conviction for sexually abusing her daughters, church elders told her to "pray more and be a better wife."

Church spokesman J. R. Brown says the group instructs local leaders to notify police when required by law. They also conduct their own investigation: "That consists of going directly to the accused." If someone confesses, says Brown, he will be prohibited from going door-to-door-unless accompanied by another Witness. Brown points out that people who accuse the church are often lapsed Witnesses, and "open prey" for exploiters. But victims like Poisson's daughter, Heather Berry, 20, say it's the church that does the exploiting. "They're letting the kids down. I don't think there's anything Christian about allowing abuse to continue." [Photograph]

I will Post more soon.

• LB
    LB

bttt

• abbagail
    abbagail

You're Welcome UNDf'd! You're doing a great job. Beware of Burn Out, though!

It's good to copy the articles directly from the websites as they are published, because they usually go into archive after a week or so, and then usually you have to pay to get copies from the archives.

I forget already, but the Toronto Sun article was published in two other Canadian papers yesterday. Did you or I post that already? Here's the links: OTTAWA SUN: "Woman sues church over sex-abuse stance. Claims conspiracy by Jehovah's Witnesses"
    http://www.canoe.ca/OttawaNews/19s1.html

and

WINNIPEG SUN: "Woman sues church; claims abuse hidden"http://www.canoe.ca/WinnipegNews/09n2.html

Also, I had started a list (of the dates/URLs/Titles only) to send to media (as prior references). You may have them all covered here already, but I'll zap a copy of it to you b/c to compare notes (I think you've got them all, though...). I think I even have prior articles on a zip disk, too, which I could check out another day.

Thanks again.
    Grits

• abbagail
    abbagail

Sheeeeesh! I just tried to access those two other Canadian newspaper articles, Ottawa Sun and Winnipeg Sun, and neither are available, even though they were current as of yesterday! Evidently, the site only keeps news stories for ONE DAY. Here's what their site said:

To all CANOE users interested in finding stories that have appeared in Sun newspapers:
    We apologize for taking down our Sun Media Newspapers' Archive. Current day's stories are still available on the CANOE Newstand. For previous days' stories, please use our fee-based, public research service at:
    416-947-2258 or toll free at 1-877-624-1463 or email [email protected]

If anyone DID access and copy the articles yesterday, would you post them here??? Thanks!

• abbagail
    abbagail

LATE NIGHT TV COVERAGE:

DAVID LETTERMAN

comments on the JW sex abuse scandal in his monologues on Monday and Tuesday nights, July 15 and 16, 2002. To hear the monlogues yourself, you can listen at Letterman's website here: http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/ and click on "Dave's Monologue" in the DAVE-TV box.

On Monday, Letterman said this: "Did you hear there's a big sex abuse scandal concerning Jehovah's Witnesses in Minnesota? (no response from audience so he asks again) Did you hear about that???? (audience now groans, Nooooooooooo) Yeah, well, uh, I sure hope this isn't true... I really hope it is not true because, uh, we would really hate to see people START avoiding Jehovah's Witnesses... We wouldn't want THAT to happen." (laughter from audience).http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=32252&site=3

Tuesday night: David lettermen just crushed the jws again in tonights monologue. He asked, "Are you tired of all the religious sex scandals? Now the Jehovah's Witnesses have a sex scandal. They grope you then they leave you a pamphlet. Then they went to court today but no one answered the door."
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=32348&page=1&site=3#425664

Another version of the Tuesday night jokes: For the second night in a row, David Letterman included a jab at the Witnesses in reference to their sex abuse scandal. Tonight in his monologue, he said (something like):

"Those Jehovah's Witnesses, they're something else. First they grope you, then they leave you a pamphlet!" Then he mimicked a JW saying "Here" while handing you a piece of literature.[/b] http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=32347&site=3

Edited by - Grits on 2 September 2002 11:28:4

• nancee park
    nancee park

This string will go off the screen so why not get your own free website where the compiled info can be seen and accessed all the time easily? I think hypermart.net may be one source.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit