WOMAN SUES CHURCH; STORM IN THE HALL/Toronto Sun

by morrisamb 59 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• apostate
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hi apostate - thanks for bringing this over here

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I have three copies of today's Toronto Sun.

I'll send one copy to Bill after the long weekend.

Lady Lee, email me an address and I'll send you a copy too.

The third copy I'll try to scan on my piece of crap scanner a bit later.

Expatbrit

p.s. congratulations to everyone involved in this. The articles are excellent.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Wow thank you so much expatbrit. I just got off the phone with the only dealer in the city who "might" have had it and they don't carry it - only Saturday's paper. They told me to check the library :( Email sent

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Hi Lady Lee,

So the Winnipeg Sun put in the article about the Halifax case but didn't put yours in? Too bad, since you live right there. But I'm sure if you told them you lived in their city, they would run the other story. They might not have seen it!!

Let me know what you think.

Donald

• Scully
    Scully

The Ottawa Sun only ran the lead story regarding the pending lawsuit. "Storm in the Hall" did not appear in the paper.

Try to remember that there are a lot of stories out there clamouring for attention in the newspapers, and editors may not run stories locally by "other franchise" writers in their entirety because they have their own writers to keep happy.

Another way we can keep this issue in the public eye is to follow up with letters to the editors. We need to thank them for the time and space they have given this issue, and we need to amplify on the topic of pedophiles being free to engage in the house-to-house work. The public - their readership - has a right to know about this. It's this kind of education about the "slimy underbelly" of the WTS that's going to cause a public outcry for politicians to take action.

So get some Letters to the Editor going!! The more we shout, the more we help every "silent lamb" heal, and the more we cause the WTS to worry about its future.

Love, Scully

• jwsons
    jwsons

((((((((((((((((((((((((Welldone, everyone))))))))))))))))))))))

jwsons

• abbagail
    abbagail

CONGRATULATIONS to the Plaintiff/Survivor, to Silent Lambs, and to everyone who worked to get this coverage in so many newspapers in one day!!! Great Job!

Thanks to Scully for ideas of what to include in Letters to Editors, and for email addy of Sun reporter.

Grits

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have a scan of the Winnipeg Sun story

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Donald here....I want to share with you some [edited for space] correspondence I've received today... 1. because of the Toronto Sun article (I've edited out portions that identify the writer) Good Afternoon Donald I found out about you in todays newspaper and looked it up on the internet and I am again shocked at what I hear about the Jehovah's Witnesses and their cover ups. I can hardly wait to read your book. Its becoming more and more evident to me that this religion really can screw you up...it did me and now I see that my situation was minor compared to you and others. Did you read the book "Wolves among sheep" by James Kostelniuk? My name is _______, I live in ______ and I am an ex Jehovah's Witness, I am not disfellowshipped but I disassociated myself from the organization... I went through hell being a Jehovah's Witness and endured it .... until .... I purposely "Sinned" to get away from my parents ... My father was cruel and physically and mentally abusive to me (not sexually)in the name of religtion. ....... I wanted to let you know that your courage and honesty about this helps others who have suffered at the hands of a Cult. Sincerely ____________ 2. a top 500 Amazon.com reviewer... Donald: I really enjoyed your book. Congratulations for having come so far. Thanks, Mike S. ------- Reviewer: J. Michael Showalter from Nashville, TN United States I recently had a chance to read this book by D'Haene; setting aside for a minute the merits of the book to the people to whom it might be of the most help (i.e. victims / people close to those who have experienced sexual violence) it is a book that for the sheer force of the words alone deserves a much broader audience. As a tale of faith tested ...., it ranks with Elie Weisel's Night as one of the most powerful books that I have ever come across.

In this story D'Haene tells the story of his upbringing. His father was controlling of his mother, and sexually and physically abusive to he and his brothers and sister. He tells of his personal dissent into a hell: high school is bad enough for most of us without the additional bitterness and pain caused by a tumultuous home life and the fact that your father has raped you. Nevertheless, D'Haene's story is not solely a tale of angst and suffering: instead, it is a story that shows how one individual finds redemption.

As an honest reviewer, D'Haene does not write with typical artifice and convention; his story is an honest and personal account. As it is honestly the story of one man's life, and not the idea of one man's life, it reads as such. .... it is a wonderful book as it stands, and really should be read.

However you got to this point, I would recommend that you need to read this book. It is enlightening, interesting, and, in an odd way, a book that could strengthen one's faith. I commend Mr. D'Haene for having the strength to live through his early life strong enough to tell his tale; I hope, for all of us, that many people read this book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit