Can anyone recommend books?

by ballistic 38 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

I read Crisis of C, now what? Actually doesn't have to be about the dubs - I think I may over-load on DUB-DOOM if I read anymore witness business. Anyone recommend something else. Anything at all?

p.s. I've done Unreal tournament and the rubix cube.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Depends what your interested in.

After i got tired of reading dub books I branched into other cults, Hypnosis, and mind manipulation or books about Influencing peoples thinking .

If you just want to read a bloody interesting book, I always recommend Elias Canettis "Crowds and Power" (penguin) Fascinating stuff, but still along cultic lines. Sorry, Cults is all I know about.

• belbab
    belbab

The Power of Now, by Echart Tolle

This book has been mentionned a number of times on this board in the last year or so.

I've read thousands of books, this one tops them all. I went out and bought ten copies, never ever did that in my life before, I still have three left. E-mail me, and may be I can send you one.

belbab

• TheRedPill
    TheRedPill

I enjoyed "Shouting Fire" by Alan Dershowitz. Not an easy read, but had some pretty interesting comments on several social issues...

Edited by - TheRedPill on 31 August 2002 0:0:48

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I liked "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl. It's the true story of a psychiatrist in a concentration camp. He learned a lot about human nature and what it takes to persevere. Many ex dubs like this book. His observations on the psychology of those that surived that horrible experience as compared to those that didn't is fascinating.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Another book you might find interesting is "The Manipulated Mind: Brainwashing, Conditioning, and Indoctrination," by Denise Winn. Amazon has it, and you can also find it at Half.com, and maybe at your local library. The book is published by the Institute for the Study of Human Knowledge (ISHK), which is a Sufi organization.

• Farkel
    Farkel

"1984" by George Orwell

"Animal Farm" by George Orwell

Neither book has anything to do with dubs and BOTH books have EVERYTHING to do with dubs.

"Letters From the Earth" by Mark Twain (free on the Net)

Nothing and EVERYTHING to do with dubs.

"The Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine (free on the Net)

Nothing and EVERYTHING to do with dubs.

I've got lotsa more.

Farkel

• minimus
    minimus

THE BIBLE...."it's got nothing and everything to do with the dubs"

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Hey Ballistic...You said anything right? Have you tried reading fiction? Tom Clancy is fascinating. Some of his best are Hunt for Red October, Sum of All Fears, Debt of Honor, Bear and the Dragon, and Without Remorse. Steven King and Dean Koontz are also excellent authors of fiction. It may help to get your mind completely away from cult topics. Try some of them, you'll enjoy them.

I read both Crisis of Concience and In Search For Christian Freedom. They are both excellent. They are very hard at times to read, because of the hurt that surfaces over what the WTS has done to so many peoples lives. They have helped me alot. I had started reading fiction as I was exiting the Borg. After a while I felt the need to read Ray's two books. I was glad I did. I've since returned to reading ficiton. Tink just bought me Clancy's new one "Red Rabbit". If you've had enough of cult topics for awhile, try some fiction.

CC

• freedom96
    freedom96

"Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness " by Diane Wilson was an excellent read. Not like the doctrinal books which can be difficult to understand, this one talks about her road in, during, and out. Talks about how the Society hurts people. This one helped me more than any doctrinal book. Everyone it seems has different viewpoints of the bible, and what to and what not to believe. This showed me how terrible the Society and its rules actually are, and how they affect the everyday witness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit