From Very Humble Beginnings.

by Englishman 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Englishman:

Thanks for posting the pics...I always get a kick out of seeing them. I visited England, Scotland and Ireland about 8 years ago...one of the highlights of my life.

Cheers!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Your welcome!

We tend to use the word "ghetto" to describe a group or organisation. It is normally used in the derogatory sense, to describe some one as being part of a ghetto would probably infer that they were of a particular mind set, or that they belonged with a certain type or group.

Tain't a compliment, that's for sure!

Englishman.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Englishman is of the "Vera Duckworth" ghetto.

Simon, on the other hand, is definitely of the "Ken Barlow" ghetto.

I've always been a bit partial to the "Rita Fairclough" ghetto, myself.

Expatbrit

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Chippy = Fish & Chip shop

I went back 6 years ago after being here 30 years. One of the things I most longed after, a sweet memory, was English fish and chips. Steak pud. Mushy peas. Anyway, they were a BIG disappointment. Poms undercook their chips! And the fish is nowhere near as nice as the old ,ever reliable , ozzie "flake".

Not trying to bash the Mother country...but there it is!!

• ISP
    ISP

Huh.....call that humble?

You were lucky to have a house with an outside loo..............

Well I lived in a house......that had no loo at all......you could only dream of having a loo...

ISP

Python Class

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Hmmm. some of those names ring a faint bell but i think they were after my time on Cannonball street.

Ena Sharples. Mini Caldwell. Len Fairclough. These names i remember clearly. Oh.. and "Sunny Jim". There was another old bat used to hang in the snug, at the pub, with Ena and Mini. A darkhaired one with glasses. Skinny. Cant remember her name.

Vera ......??

Edited by - refiners fire on 30 August 2002 19:26:42

• ISP
    ISP

RF.......they have shown the old Coronation St episodes on UK Gold satelite...so you should check it out if you can!

ISP

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Yeah, but what was that other old biddies name?? I wont sleep tonight unless I find out .

HELP! Ken Barlow, that rings a bell to. And Elsie Tanner who run the corner shop. Did her and Len ever get it on? We used to drive past the actor who played Len Faircloughs House on the way to the Sunday meeting in Bury. I seem to recall that guy got done big time by the coppers for something real nasty. If memory serves correctly.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Refiners:

Martha Longhurst.

Englishman.

• Simon
    Simon

I agree refiners - although chippies are nice, there are a lot of naff ones.

The nicest fish and chips I've had was in Canada at "Joey's Only" (hmmn, delicious)

Lee's chip-shop in Irlam doeas a very good curry 'alf-n-'alf though (that will keep 'em guessing !)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit