From Very Humble Beginnings.

by Englishman 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Recently, HL and myself headed towards Scotland for a few days break on the farm. I shall post some holiday pics in this thread later today.

On the way to Scotland, we stopped off in Bolton, Greater Manchester. Coronation Street country!

I was born in Bolton. Most of my family had been employed in the countless cotton mills that abounded in Lancashire back then. I wanted to see if the house that I had lived in for 5 years of my childhood was still standing. I remember cobbled streets, washing hung across the street between the tiny houses, the ever present Bee Hive cotton mill at the bottom of the hill, the outside toilet and the smell of the steam engines at the engine sheds nearby.

I wondered what would be stood where the old house used to be. A supermarket, a garage, what?

To my absolute astonishment little had changed. The streets are still cobbles, the Bee Hive cotton mill still stands, you can see it in the background, although it is now a catalogue warehouse. Even the chippy is still in the same spot! No washing lines, no steam engines though.

One other difference. The population here is now mainly Asian.

I though some of you might find it interesting, will post our holiday pics later!

Englishman.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Ok, I'll bite, what in the world is a chippy???

• Angharad
    Angharad

Chippy = Fish & Chip shop

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Thank you Angharad, I've learned something today. Some day us Texans are going to be compelled to take a crash course in English as it should be spoken. Thanks again Bill

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

By 'eck Englishman. Life twere toof when you were t'kid. Oop at five, off to t'mill fer a 20 hour weerk day, and back oom fer tea and a chew on a cobblestone.

Roots are important. Glad you found yours to be still familiar!

Expatbrit

• Englishman
    Englishman

Aye, yer right thurr, Obadiah.

Who'd a thought, 30 years ago, that wid all be sat 'ere drinkin Chateau de Chasselais, eh?

By gum.

Englishman.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Englishman,

Thanks for sharing. The picture is nice. It is truly, only those of us who come from such humble lifestyles, that can really understand and appreciate what it means.

Although my childhood days were lived out in a four room shanty, with no running water and no bath, with three sibblings, some of those days contain my best memories. The place has been torn down for a couple years now.

But, I was ridiculed and mocked through my school days, as my father could have done better for his family, but chose not to.

Love and Light,

Sentinel

• Simon
    Simon

eeee ... by-ek lad, it's grim up north innit ?!

Cobbled streets and outside loo's ...you'll be telling us next they used to send you up the chimneys

It's nice visiting 'home' isn't it ... and funny how it always is and always will be, wherever we may end up.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Sentinel,

The house actually belonged to my grandfather. It's in Eustace street just off Crescent road. He bought it in 1928 or 1929, it was a street of distinction then because the houses have small front gardens, not like those common people without a garden in the next street!

Englishman.

• LDH
    LDH

Eman,

I love it when you post pix.

Would this be considered like a "ghetto?"

Thanks for the explanation.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit