Is this therapy?

by larc 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

It has been GREAT therapy for me. Most of you have given me hugs and encouragment to get me through some pretty rough spots, with my parents. I would have been carted off to the looney bin, without all of you.

Thanks!!!

• jwbot
    jwbot

yes yes oh yes.
    It is awesome here. hey rocky at first, but not so bad, over all, I am very glad to be a part of this board. It has helped clarify things for me, not to mention I am glad to be in a group of people that literally know where I am coming from.

• LB
    LB

You bet it's therapy. And besides that you end up making some really great friends along the way.

• tdogg
    tdogg

It can be therapy for some and an obsession for others. For me it has been therapy, but I have keep it in proper perspective and maintain my distance at times.

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

larc, It's all that's on offer for most of us. I don't find it fulfilling enough at times, like when I'm really troubled with my ongoing dub situation - like I am at the moment. I don't share this stuff because to me it trivialises it to share it here and have maybe one person comment on something that's deeply disturbing for me. But for generalised WT frustration, it's really good.

Marilyn

• onacruse
    onacruse

larc: Please excuse this little diversion, but your question gave me pause to think about the meaning of the word "therapy."

Therapy is not in and of itself a cure, treatment, remedy, or psychiatry. Rather, it is that which enables the cure, etc to happen!

Rather like what Hayakawa says: "Healing, on the other hand, is usually a slow process, sometimes of very long duration. It is never quick or dramatic...In this sense mend is a close synonym, but suggests...a drawing together of parts, whereas heal implies simply a return to a healthy condition..."

This forum provide me/us the opportunity to reach out and grasp those tools that enable us to heal, not like some medication or treatment applied from without, but rather by the discovery and resolution that come from within.

Craig

<<putting dictionary away now>>

• ugg
    ugg

yes,,,,it has helped alot....i appreciate being here....

• minimus
    minimus

DOCTOR LARC, I have found this interaction quite therapeutic, thank you.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Onacruse,

"Healing, on the other hand, is usually a slow process, sometimes of very long duration. It is never quick or dramatic...In this sense mend is a close synonym,"

Good point. Therapy, I would guess, to a lot of people enables the individual to see the problem, find solutions, and ways to actually use those solutions.....and then get on with healing/dealing.

That's what this, and other, forums do. However, they actually do MUCH more. We make friends, quasi-enemies, learn to discuss/argue/laugh/say new cuss words.........so much!

Forums have the capacity to become communities. However, we all know that there are different communities in the Real World, and different styles on the net too.

Thanks to Simon and Ang. for allowing us a place to accomplish so much.....and just hang out.

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Larc!

My daughter paid me a compliment last week in that she said that the interaction of the internet had really helped me deal with leaving the jw's. A noticable difference for the better over the last couple of years.

I thanked her, and then as women are wont to do......wondered just what the hell I acted like before that I'm so much better now? Was she really paying me a compliment.....or a backhanded insult?

Lol.........that's why my husband doesn't like to give me compliments (he says) - because I tend to wonder just what he really meant by that statement.

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 30 August 2002 10:46:12

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit