Comprehensive list of misquotes

by JG 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Is it illegal to misquote and misrepresent what other people said? Could the WT be taken to court over this?

• JG
    JG

I suppose it's possible, you can sue over anything now a days. They could be sued for money or forced to print a retraction. If they had to retract the statements the would just claim to the R&F that it's a hoax and move on. Right now I'm feeling pretty down and just care about getting my family out intact. I realize it's pretty selfish and that there are millions more out there, but I'll try to help them after I'm done with trying to help my family.

Sean

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Is it illegal to misquote and misrepresent what other people said? Could the WT be taken to court over this?

The people who are actually misquoted could probably sue for defamation of character. Those who are quoted selectively (but correctly) probably could not, or would be unlikely to win a case if they did. It's not a crime to only quote one sentence from a book, even if it's out of context.

• ISP
    ISP

Re: Comprehensive list of misquotes
    You would want the actual quotes wouldn't you? Misquotes wouldn't help you.. ISP
  • jeanV
    jeanV

I try to revive this old topic.

I have come across a few website that report misquotes by the WTBTS. Very often there is no scan of the original publication where the quote is taken, but just a transcript. I know it would be a monumental work to put together all the scans, but I trust it would be worthwhile. I have started myself gathering some of the books (like Grayson and Priestley) and wonder if someone else is maybe doing a similar work. let me know.

• carla
    carla

Didn't they misquote Mantey? See his letter below or just google. Google has a few sites that mention various misquotes. It would be great to have them all in one place.

http://www.macgregorministries.org/jehovahs_witnesses/dr_mantey_lt.html

• rebel8
    rebel8

I have compiled a short list of misquotes: www.jwinfo.8m.com/misquotes.htm It would be great if there was a comprehensive list somewhere (with references of course), but that's not something I can take on. People can send them to me to be added to the site, but that's all I can do.

I agree it would be "interesting" to see the scans, but it's usually impossible to get them.

IMO it serves little purpose to provide scans. For the dubs or the general public who are interested in finding out about the wt's propensity for lying, a list of misquotes is sufficient. They can go to the library to see how the secular sources were misquoted.

For the dubs who have already decided what they want to believe, a scan is not going to convince them (since it is extremely easy to fake a scan). By demanding a scan they are affirming their own refusal to look it up themselves to verify it. They are demanding the proof be your burden, when it should be theirs. Even if you do produce a scan, they will just say it's a fake. No matter what proof you provide, it will be a discounted as a lie.

True truth seekers don't need to be spoon fed. They will research it for themselves, with hard copies of the books from their own collection or the kh library (or a trusted friend).

Plus there is more than enough info in the blood brochure (available still on the wt web site if I'm not mistaken) that blatantly misquotes secular authorities. That "should" be convincing enough. (Misquotes listed on my site.)

• jeanV
    jeanV

rebel8 I had checked your site, it is good.

I do not totally agree that scans are not useful. It may be possible to fake them, but it is certainly easier to fake a transcript. Someone that is walking out of the WTBTS will be reluctant in believing things unless he sees the actual printed page (once burnt....). Personally I prefer to have the copies of the books / articles and I will keep on working on that line.

• IT Support
    IT Support

This page contains a list of an enormous number of scientific errors in the Creation book:

http://www.dimaggio.org/Heretic/critical.htm

• bluebell
    bluebell

another good thought would be their own misquotes within their own literature - making out that they foretold the START of trouble in 1914 whereas they actually foretold the END

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit