Looking Back In Retrospect To 1975...

by titch 128 Replies latest jw experiences

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Oh Dam , now archaeologists have found ancient civilizations that existed thousands years before the ancient Hebrew civilization in the middle east.

I think it would worthy to point out that most Christian based faiths repelled making grandiose proclamations about dating the return of Christ and the following GT and Armageddon, for they tend to adhere closer to the direction given by Jesus in that he admonished his true followers to set a time on god's own sacred time .

But then again respectfully adhering closely to Jesus's own direction and guidance might ruin or spoil the WTS. literature proliferation agenda.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    In the book Gods Eternal Purpose Now Triumphing for Man's Good. (1974) page 131/132

I will read if I can find it.

"the 7th creative day ended 3500 years after 526 BCE"

I read it. It does not say that. It says that the first half was now closing, 3500 years after the creation of Adam and Eve. 3500 + 3500 = 7000 years. So the other half: 526-3500= 2974 CE - 1000 = 1974
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    i think there is something that makes it 1975 year 0 or something
  • Splash
    Splash

The WT no longer teach that each creative day is 7000 years long.

Oops, there goes another bunch of calculations down the pan.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

The WT no longer teach that each creative day is 7000 years long.

I don't think they would dismiss the calculations that lead back to Adam in 4026 and in still teaching 1914 and the nearness of the end and then the thousand year reign surely this would make the 7th creative day about 7000 years long so there is one at least.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Oops.... forgot to add NOT

for they tend to adhere closer to the direction given by Jesus in that he admonished his true followers to "NOT" set a time on god's own sacred time .

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Fisherman,

I read it. It does not say that. It says that the first half was now closing, 3500 years after the creation of Adam and Eve. 3500 + 3500 = 7000 years. So the other half: 526-3500= 2974 CE - 1000 = 1974

Maybe this helps

In the August 15 1968 Watchtower in the Article Why are you looking forward to 1975?

page 499
    Well, for one thing, if 4026 is added to 1968 (allowing for the lack of a zero year between C.E. and B.C.E ) one gets a total of 5,993 years, come this autumn from Adam's creation. That means that, in the fall of the year 1975, a little over seven years from now..., it will be 6,000 years since the creation of Adam,
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Fisherman

526+3500=4026

and 4026 is the date in the Watchtower as well as here in the same book

Evening of the Seventh Creative day begins, 4026 B.C.E. page 51

Maybe my original post was written incorrectly

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Of course, if you buy into the bible's account - and particularly the WTS's colouring of it - there was a large group of intelligent beings present when Eve was created

i.e. the angels, plus (according to JW theology) God's master worker, Jesus Christ.

So, if calculating the date of Armeggedon were as simple as adding 6000 years to the date of Eve's creation, these beings would know what that date was:

- presumably, being superhuman, all of them are capable of adding + 6000 to - [4026 + x], (with "x" being, for us, the unknown quantity)!.

That would mean Jesus Christ and the angels did in fact know the "day and the hour", yet in that very same holy book, Christ assured his followers that neither he nor anybody else knew at what time this event was going to happen.

Back in the 1970s, this fact (i.e. Crazy Fred's escape clause) was quickly picked up on by a number of non-JW commentators. Yet we all missed that point. Were we all as mad as him, I ask you!

Bill.

• mimimimi
    mimimimi
    I was disfellowshipped in 1975. My dad, who was not a witness, died of cancer that summer. I was working full-time during the day at a bank in St. Louis and going to college at night. I was busy with my own life and had made up my mind at that point that I did not believe what the witnesses taught. There were a lot of things in that organization I was unhappy with and I wanted no part of it. In looking back, I know they were anticipating Armageddon in 1975 but I had a total disconnect from them at that time and was unaffected by it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit