Looking Back In Retrospect To 1975...

by titch 128 Replies latest jw experiences

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I guess Adam waited 40 years (and still counting...) before Eve was created...

Perhaps masturbation was not so condemned at that time?

Doc

• Splash
    Splash

Yeah, I meant directly after that meeting.

Regarding the 7,000 years to each creative day, to start with there was no question...

- w54 8/1 p. 478 The Purpose of Your Witnessing
    Each creative day was 7,000 years in length. See "New Heavens and a New Earth", pages 40-43.

changed to

- w93 1/1 p. 4 Our Grand Creator and His Works
    In an orderly sequence of six 'creative days,' each thousands of years in length

and then

- g03 9/22 p. 21 Science Was My Religion
    the creative days lasted aeons

followed by

- w04 4/1 p. 6 Identifying the Wild Beast and Its Mark
    God's creative week comprises seven 'days,' or extended time periods

also know as

- w11 2/15 p. 8 par. 10 Holy Spirit—At Work in Creation!
    These are not 24-hour days but are epochs.

or less precisely

- g11/11 p. 9 Which Approach Is More Reasonable?
    Each day evidently involved a considerable length of time.

Going almost full circle to a speculative

- g14/3 p. 5 How Long Did God Take To Create The Universe?
    each of the six creative days could have lasted for thousands of years.

• Splash
    Splash

I think they're sure now.

Kinda.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

thanks Fisherman,

I found it interesting in the book regarding The Divine Plan of the Ages published by C.T.Russell in 1886. Ephesians 3:11 reading 'according to a plan of the ages' in the Emphatic Diaglott, and in the New World Translation it is eternal purpose like in the book title.

In the book God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached (9173) pages 206/207 it explains how Russell calculated the 6000 years of man's existence on earth to end in 1872 and by allowing two years between the creation sinning they arrived at 1874 for the end of six thousand years

'This resulted in their calculating six thousand years of sin as ending in 1874 C.E in the autumn, the seventh millennium began, for the instigator of sin, Satan the Devil , to be bound and cast into the bottomless pit and for Christ to start reigning for the foretold thousand year period.'

On page 209 it says in 1943 they did away with 100 years due to finding something in Judges that altered the chronology and 'This moved forward the end of six thousand years of man's existence into the decade of the 1970's.' This also did away with 1874 as the date of the return of Christ.

So this 6000 years and the devil being cast in the bottomless pit seems to go back a long way.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

So this 6000 years and the devil being cast in the bottomless pit seems to go back a long way.

Pastor Russell was 100 years off in his reckoning. He used Bible pivotal dates to go back in time, computing the date of the creation of Adam. He figured that 1874 was the end of the 6000 years and the beginning of the millennium. But just prior to the beginning of the 1000 year rule of Christ, the book of Revelation states that Satan would be abyssed. The 1000 years fits perfectly within God's 7th creative day.

7th Creative day = total of 7000 years

7th Creative day = 6000 years + 1000 years of Christ rule= 7000 years total

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

........ and relgoius charlatans will spin some more bullshit to sell to the public, alluring the naive, gullible and ignorant.

Remember the WTS demonized and called ones apostates for exposing their indulgent lies, false teachings and corrupt doctrines this organization ( Publishing house ) produced.

Thats religion folks take it or leave it.

• Splash
    Splash

Why does the last creative day have to be such a rounded number?

Why can't it be 7092 years long? 7601 years long? 19283 years long?

WT look for number patterns that land in the current timeframe and try to make them fit a baseless interpretation. WT decide on a date and then try to justify it.

None of this has any credence beyond a weak "but it would make sense if...".

Bottom line is, no matter how convinced you are, there's simply no evidence for a creative day being one duration rather than any other duration.

• titch
    titch

Hello again, Folks: Splash brings up an interesting point. You know, when you stop to think about it, that rounded number---7000---where did that come from? It makes me wonder, Did Yahweh actually keep track of how many times that our planet, Earth, made its orbit around the sun? In other words, he was "watching" it, observing it, and once it had made EXACTLY 7,000 orbits around the sun, well, that was time to start another new "creative day". A different "creative day" could not and would not start until the Earth had made its orbit EXACTLY 7,000 times. 7,000 times, not 7002 times, not 6995 times, but precisely 7000 times. But, as someone has pointed out earlier, the WTS has now been saying that each creative time period could have lasted for eons of time, epochs of time. Oh well. Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. Best Regards.

Titch

• smiddy
    smiddy

Didn`t the Watchtower put a lot of faith in numbers years ago ? like 6 , 7 , 10 . 12 , 144,000 , 12 times 12000 etc.etc. referring to imperfections , earthly perfection , heavenly perfection and so forth ?

The number 6 was depicted as being imperfect , the number 666 was 6 taken to the third degree , and isn`t that linked to the Devils number ?

The number 40 also takes on a key role in Bible texts.

Do they still cling to these beliefs today ?

smiddy

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

yeah---the 7000 year day is what really "stumbled " me back in the 60's--i even asked Ron Drage about it at an assembly. he just said its all in the publications--ha ha.

so--why not 7 million years ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit