Any (original) Star Trek Fans?

by wasasister 28 Replies latest jw friends

• LB
    LB

Yoeman Janice Rand was a babe. One of many on the original series.

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Hi all,

I must confess - I was a teenaged trekkie.

Yes, it's true. I was raised on Original Trek and my DH and I met at a Star Trek Convention. Our daughter even had a onsie made for her with a trek insignia on it. We got rid of our uniforms a couple of years ago [yes, we had uniforms - please don't judge us]. One of our wedding gifts was a model of the original Enterprise - hand painted down to the last detail, and we came into the reception to the theme of ST:NG. We didn't get married in our uniforms, but we thought about it.

I think the episode wasasister mentioned was called "The Enemy Within." I used to know all the titles of the original series and I read all the novels too - [finally gave up on that because the writing got really bad]. If anyone's interested in a good Trek novel - try anything by Peter David - he's probably the best trek writer.

If anyone wants to shun me now, I understand completely.

Silverleaf

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Big Tex: Its got a few deleted scenes re-inserted into the film. You can also turn on a caption that gives you insight into different things about the scene, etc.

There is also a second disk with interviews of the cast and then interviews of the effects people. Then there is this thing about books which I didn't watch. Its pretty cool. As a special edition DVD I give the entire product 3 out of 4 stars. Of course the movie is still the best one.

• Swan
    Swan

Oh yes! I loved the original series because of it's forward thinking message to the 60's. "Hey, it's time to grow up and start treating everyone with respect and as equals. We can all contribute something. Our diversity makes us stronger."

I liked all of the series, but the original series was all we had for 20 years. It seems simplistic looking back, but it was very radical back then.

Tammy

• COMF
    COMF

I always had the hots for Lt. Ohura. Did NOT understand how she could sit around in a micro-mini showing off more leg than A Chorus Line, and not a single crewman so much as do a double-take when she wasn't looking.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    In one episode (don't remember the name, and wouldn't admit it if I did) their bodies were being controlled by some dudes dressed like Greek Gods. Kirk smooched with Uhura (Nichelle Nichols). It might have been a tiny copout to have them do it under outside control, but it was still a pretty steamy kiss.

Plato's Stepchildren if memory serves. (Yes, I'm a geek!)

And Uhura was hot!

• teejay
    teejay

Was,

The Star Trek episode you mentioned at the beginning was similar to one that aired on Next Generation. Maybe you remember *that* episode. "Skin of Evil."

It's the one where Lt. Yar was killed by what looked like a pool of tar. The tar, you might recall, was the remainder, the dross, of "a race of titans whose beauty now dazzles all who see them." Before leaving their home planet, these titans had discovered a way to bring all of their bad traits to the surface and, as they congealed, scruffed them off into a pool of ugliness and left it behind. The pool of tar.

Both series dealt with the reality that is true: All of us are made up of both good and bad traits, negative and positive. No one is all good or all bad but we couldn't be who we are without both.

I was thinking about this in the context of self-expression, particularly as it has to do with our participation online. Wouldn't it be a nice thing if there was a place where we could be nice... let our good side show; and another place, where we could let the bad guy/girl come out to play?

Oh!

You say that's been taken care of already??!!!

Oh. Well... then...

Nevermind.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Congrats, Teejay! You were the only one who caught my drift.

I'm not sure I can stomach either "pure evil" or "pure good". I much prefer the mix.

I had read a bit of "Evil Kirk" just before I originally posted this. It wasn't pretty.

"Good Kirk" is a little too tame, but if I must choose, I think I'll stay with him.

Thanks for receiving my rather wobbly pass. Brought the Star Trek junkies out of the woodwork, tho, didn't it?

• truman
    truman

I also, have been to a Star Trek convention, at which I had Nichelle Nichols autograph an article from an old TV Guide article about her. I also attended a performance of Shatner and Nimoy live, discussing their Trek experience, and telling all their stories.

I collect TV Guides as well (since 1967), and when TV Guide recently issued a 35 multiple Star Trek cover edition, I bought the collection! But...I'm not a Star Trek nut!!! I've never dressed up in costume....yet.

truman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit