JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES CAN'T GO TO THE RACES!

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

No auto races, eh? Fat chance. I know too many elders that watch NASCAR and go to auto races.

• myself
    myself

I guess they are spending too much time with sports and not enought time at the meetings, door to door, personal study etc. Have to make their time cut-back somewhere.

• blondie
    blondie

What about bike races, pigeon races, horse racing? People bet on those. What about football, soccer, basketball, baseball? People bet on those.

Even a JW can be a auto racer, it's a personal decision. Whoops, there's that oxymoron again. In JW language it means make this decision and kiss goodbye all your "privileges."

What article was that minimus? Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks.

Edited by - Blondie on 26 August 2002 1:52:28

• The Alchemist
    The Alchemist

The Organization does not think only individuals do. This is the rant of some writer at HQ. When people (JW's) figure this out they will stop taking any of this serious.

• abbagail
    abbagail

If Paul Newman or Tom Cruse wanted to become JWs, wonder what the WTS would say about their NASCAR activities?

Gatherings to watch football at the friends' homes was well known in my old cong, but I was never invited (didn't matter to me, I hate football). I used to play tennis with a black sister, and it was her gang of friends, married couples, etc. that had these football socials at their homes.

Back when I was a newbie-Bible-study, the couple I studied with and other JWs took me with them to the movies to see Rocky. I was shocked out of my gourd when right in the middle of one of the fight scenes, this brother who was an elder, jumped up in the theater and was hollering his head off out of uncontrollable excitement for Rocky! I was aghast.

Years later another older brother, who I was friends with his family, during the Kentucky Derby on TV, well, this old guy was down on his hands and knees pounding on the carpet and hollering his head off for his chosen horse to win the race. Even though this brother was always known as "spiritually weak," I was still shocked out of my gourd when I saw him freaking out like this over a dumb horse race! I swear his eyeballs were bulging from too much adrenaline. I thought the old dude was going to have a heart attack right there on his hands and knees on the floor in front of the TV.

You can take the boy out of the racetrack (and stick him in a K.Hall), but evidently you can't really take the love of racing (or football, boxing, etc.) out of the boy.

Huh???? What was that???
    ("You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy").

Grits

Edited for typos!

Edited by - Grits on 26 August 2002 3:8:0

Edited by - Grits on 26 August 2002 3:10:28

• Simon
    Simon

lol @ pigeon races

I remember going to the horse racing years ago when I was little (not on my own obviously - my dad took us)

On the telly it is boring as hell and seemed to be on for an eternity when I visited my grandparents house but when you are there - wow! You feel the ground shake and the thundering of the horses in your chest as they go past. Great to see.

I can't believe the WTS are getting picky now about watching sport as opposed to joining in !

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I got a horse right here, his name is Paul Revere,
    And here's a guy who says if the weather's clear,
    can do, can do.
    This guy says the horse can do.
    If he says the horse can do, can do.
    Can do, can do, can do.

For Paul Revere I'll bite,
    I hear his foot's all right.
    Of course it all depends if it rained last night.
    Likes mud, Likes mud.
    This 'X' means the horse likes mud.
    If that means the horse likes mud,
    likes mud, likes mud.

I tell you Paul Revere now this is no bum steer.
    It's from a handicapper that's real sincere.
    Can do, can do.
    This guy says the horse can do.
    if he says the horse can do, can do, can do.
    Paul Revere! I got the horse right here!

Fugue for Tinhorns, from Guys and Dolls

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Oh that's bloody ridiculous! I can understand the boxing stuff, coz I personally think it's gross watching two people beat each other to a pulp. Of course, I watch martial arts films, but that's not real.

But auto and motorcycle races?! Please!

And does this mean I can't watch the opening scene of City Slickers?

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Think about it!.....If they go to the races they might lose some MONEY!!!!!!

They WTBTS wants all the JW's money for the WTBTS!!!!!!!!!

Thus...NO GAMBLING

Golden Girl.......

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

There was a Sprint Car driver killed here in the city where I live about a month or so ago. I missed the races that night. Deaths at the race track here are rare, but yet they are often enough that every racer knows that they are gambling with their lives when they don their gear and enter the race track. To see a Sprint Car flip over and roll is not so rare of an event, and that's what some go to see. But it's not what I go to see. It's really too bad that such a sport can't be made to be perfectly safe.

Friday

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit