Music To Die By....

by hillary_step 32 Replies latest social entertainment

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

I am told by those stupid enough to be called my friends, that I think about death far too often for comfort. This blemish on an otherwise perfect character is probably a gift of nationality as many of my comrades seem to spend whole days toasting seats in corner cafes, lethargically discussing the latest obituary and predicting the size and quality of the tombstone.

Whenever I visit the mountainous village of my birth, it strikes me that I have seen these same people drinking Campari in these same bars for almost four decades. They are plumper and less boisterous, likely to cry very easily at the latest soccer failures, but still singing the same old refrain. Perhaps the road to long life, is after all to practice a slow death....lol

Anyway, I re-wrote my will recently and removed all allusions to being buried as a JW, preferring after all to be buried by people who get paid for the job and do not use my carcass as a marketing ploy to snare the hapless. I am going home, to be entombed next to my mother and father under the cypress trees, in the valley by the village, the valley of my infant dreams.

Every so often I come across a song that has more than meaning and pleasure, it makes some kind of universal statement I am sure that you all know what I mean. This is the one I have chosen to be buried by..lol. I am quite serious.

It was written by a dear friend who tragically passed away a few years ago. Not only does it bring back shared memories of that cherished summer in New York in the late 60s, but also sets the tone for how life should be lived - as a "Free Thinker.

http://tinyurl.com/15ch

Lets face it, no-one gets out of life alive. So how about it, what song would you like accompanying the chimney or the spade, what would be your preference? And do not forget, put your choice in your Will, otherwise you might find people weeping to the semitones of 'Lets Watch How We Talk And Watch How We Walk', chosen for you by default.....lol

HS

Edited by - hillary_step on 27 August 2002 12:52:48

Edited by - hillary_step on 27 August 2002 12:55:3

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Are you talking about music for a funeral or memorial? That's easy... Dixie Land music! (Seriously)
    M ichael in Dixieland

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Elsewhere,

Memorial.

Yes, that was a very good choice Dixieland. A New Orleans funeral has to be the happiest party on earth...lol

Thanks - HS

• myself
    myself

I have lived quietly and want to go quietly. No service or false sorrow. Cremate me and dispose of me in the least expensive least emotional manner that is possible.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Myself,

Your very sad post made me weep. I have also lived quietly but want revenge when I die!

Best regards - HS

• myself
    myself

(((((Hillary))))) I wasn't looking for tears, and I am very sorry if I made anyone feel bad. 
    Thank you . I have been to funerals and seen so much false love displayed.
    This love wasn't shown to the person when they were alive and would have had 
    the opportunity to enjoy and return that love. That is why I have felt this way
    about my own death. I live life now in a way that I enjoy and I am living without
    regrets for the first time in my life. I don't want to give the ones who would 
    falsely weep the chance to do so in public, this would be a hypocritic gesture on their part. 
  • blondie
    blondie

I have always like the song Amazing Grace although not PC for a JW. There is another one "Jerusalem" sung by Judy Collins.

And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon Englands mountains green?
    And was the Holy Lamb of God
    On Englands pleasant pastures seen?
    And did the countenance divine
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
    And was Jerusalem builded here
    Among these dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
    Bring me my arrows of desire!
    Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
    Bring me my chariots of fire!
    I will not cease from mental fight,
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
    Till we have built Jerusalem
    In Englands green and pleasant land.

HS, I rewrote my will too so that I don't become a "marketing tool."

I want to be cremated (it's cheaper) and have my ashes strewn over the Rockies.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Blondie,

Yes, I rather had that won earmarked for E'man...lol

My only regret in life is that I did not write 'Danny Boy', that way I could spend the next few hundred years knowing I was keeping the pub crowd vocal at closing time...lol

Best to you - HS

• Farkel
    Farkel

Hillary,

(I worry about you when you appear to be morose. I know what it is like to be there.)

I've always been fascinated by people who want to make their death and burial an event. The only difference we can make is when we are ALIVE. J. Paul Getty spent billions of dollars building a monument to himself after his death, but those who remember him when he was alive, remember him to be a tight-fisted asshole.

I really don't care what happens when I die, and I really don't care what kind of a marker is put up or even if any marker is put up. The only difference I can make in peoples lives is while I'm still breathing. I'm still breathing.

Farkel

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Myself, I wholeheartedly agree with you. No service....no music. Just scatter my ashes in the ocean or a quiet hillside. The music of life will be there....that has always been most agreeable to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit