Tax-exempt Status of Churches and the Gay Marriage Decision

by lambsbottom 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Let's not over analyze this thing. I know this ruling changes things, but, I don't think that it will cause chaos with faiths that don't accept same sex unions.

Doesn't the Civil courts accept Common Law relationships? Yet, in the WT cong such are welcomed to a point but they will not be permitted to be baptized if they don't live up to those standards found in the ORG bk. That hasn't changed their Charitable Tac exemption status.

• jws
    jws

Like PaintedToeNail says, I don't think it's an issue for JWs.

First of all, the government would have to start revoking tax exempt status. That still remains to be seen, IMO.

Then a gay couple would have to actually want to get married in a KH. If you're out and open, I doubt you're having anything to do with JWs. So very unlikely.

To get married at a KH, you have to be a good standing JW. You can't just walk in off the streets and say you want to be married at a KH. If they are still allowed to disfellowship you, then they could DF a gay person. Then they couldn't get married due to the good standing JW rule.

And I would love to see all churches have their exempt status revoked. It's not saying you can't exist. Just pay money on revenue.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Forget about KH marriage, can a married gay couple become a JW???

I'm sure Married gay couples will not be knocking down the KH doors to become

a JW, but they must except gay couples to get the tax exemption status.

The ORG book, "living up to those standards", that will have to change, New Light.

• Island Man
    Island Man

I think that if the US Government started requiring churches that marry heterosexuals to also marry homosexuals then Watchtower would issue a new policy to the effect that henceforth, the organization no longer will be involved in any way shape or form in the carrying out of marriage ceremonies. They will say that the kingdom hall is a place of worship and instruction and not a marriage venue. They will say that Witnesses should make their own independent marriage arrangements, which can be in the form of a simple legal proceeding before a judge (but not in a church of christendom) attended by close friends. They will say that such a couple may choose to have an elder, who also happens to be a marriage officer, oversee the ceremony, and that on his own volition, he may choose to share scriptural advice on the subject of marriage, but that he would be acting on his own volition and is not to be construed as acting in the role as an elder of Jehovah's organization.

I predict this is what will happen if the US government requires churches that perform marriages to marry gay couples - Watchtower will simply opt out of involvement in marriages, period. Can the govt. force a church that gives religious reasons for not performing any marriages period, to perform gay marriages?

• Island Man
    Island Man
    "To get married at a KH, you have to be a good standing JW. You can't just walk in off the streets and say you want to be married at a KH. If they are still allowed to disfellowship you, then they could DF a gay person. Then they couldn't get married due to the good standing JW rule."

Contrary to your claim, I can think of a scenario where this could be an issue. Two gay JWs can be in good standing if they're not practicing homosexuals and live decent lives as JWs. Imagine if these two gay JWs are pioneers and secretly dated each other without any homosexual acts taking place. Then these two gay JWs approach the elders to get married. The only basis for the elders denying them would be the fact that they are against gay marriage. It might be an unlikely scenario. But I can see - I'm anxiously waiting and longing to see - two gay awake JWs doing this to expose Watchtower!

• ssn587
    ssn587
    I have always thought that churches should have been paying property taxes like other property owners. I however don't believe churches should be forced or compelled to marry the LGBT crowd. If that is to be so 1st and foremost it should begin at the local mosques. If you think about it having to do things against your principled belief is just a form of tyranny.
  • ssn587
    ssn587
    Tax exempt laws will have to change. For churches to lose tax exempt status. When that happens and monies spent on hospitals food banks etc. may disappear unless it falls under tax exemption. A can of worms has been opened.
  • azor
    azor

All bigoted religious entities should lose their tax exempt status. Hospitals, food banks, and others that practice bigotry should lose their tax exempt status. Losing such has nothing to do with tyranny. It is tyranny to have the government favor groups that practice bigotry no matter what good they may do. If a charity wishes to continue helping others they should be given a set period of time to disassociate themselves from bigoted groups. Religion does not deserve any respect or special consideration.

It is time to treat them as what they are, corporations. All corporations pay taxes, and so should religious ones. Last time I checked psychiatry firms pay taxes.

I reiterate that I believe this may be the beginning of the end for religions sway in this country. If people want to believe in fairy tales and aliens that's their business. They just shouldn't get special treatment for believing nonsense.

• azor
    azor
    Let the lawsuits begin. I guess it's time for me to get my law degree. I'd make a killing with this.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

the implications of this could be more than one first realizes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit