Tax-exempt Status of Churches and the Gay Marriage Decision

by lambsbottom 34 Replies latest jw friends

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

It will be interesting to see what will happen with the "beloved" 501c3 tax exempt status which the churches hold so dearly onto. The first-century Christians met in homes. They did not have exemption from taxes to the governments. They had no restrictions placed upon them by the government, since they gave up no power to the government (e.g. by registering as 501c3 corporations. With the recent decision legalizing gay marriage, things could get ugly really quick for churches that care more for their tax-exempt status than what the Bible says. No matter! This will likely be another age-long test of who are the weeds, and who are the wheat. More interesting will be what the WT does when the government threatens them with tax-exempt revocation. Perhaps they will claim it is the great tribulation, tell all their followers to give them EVERYTHING materially wise, and finally pull out the kool-aid! I hope not!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/religious-groups-vow-to-fight-same-sex-marriage-despite-supreme-court-1435329751

Last week, House and Senate Republicans introduced a bill that would prevent the federal government from penalizing federal employees, contractors or religiously affiliated organizations that oppose gay marriage.

The measure, introduced by Idaho Republican Rep. Raul Labrador and Utah Sen. Mike Lee—both members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, known as the Mormon Church—would prohibit the federal government from withholding tax-exempt status, contracts or accreditation from schools or other religious organizations opposing same-sex marriage.

The legislation would be most relevant to religious schools and universities, its backers say, which are concerned about losing their tax-exempt status.

For example, under the bill, a religiously affiliated university wouldn’t lose federal grants, tax-exempt status or accreditation for refusing to accommodate a same-sex couple in student housing for married people.

Supporters of the measure, called the First Amendment Defense Act, was partly prompted by an exchange during oral arguments in the Supreme Court when Justice Samuel Alito asked U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli if such a university or college might not be entitled to tax-exempt status. “It is going to be an issue,” Mr. Verrilli responded.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Cracks are beginning to appear my friend. Cracks are appearing.

http://m.tvnz.co.nz/news/national/5429575

• just fine
    just fine
    If gay marriage is considered a civil right won't they have to recognize it or face the discrimination charges that follow? Msybe I am off base here...................
  • lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

@just fine:

The first amendment protects freedom of religion. However, the constitution was built to prevent governments from imposing laws upon the PEOPLE. A religion keeping a tax deductible status has nothing to do with the first amendment. It is something the government grants a religion. It can be taken away as well. The government will simply say "OK, you can keep your freedom of religion, but since you are not in agreement with our civil rights interpretations, you have to pay taxes". The JWs are in so much financial danger.

• lambsbottom
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

lambs bottom: "Churches that refuse to perform same sex marriages should lose their tax

exempt status". Hell those churches that have refuse to marry same sex would

change their tune real fast. It's all about money.

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

@James Mixon:

Yep. They are probably shaking in their boots right now.

Enter the home church.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Lambsbottom

The government will simply say "OK, you can keep your freedom of religion, but since you are not in agreement with our civil rights

I am trying to sort through the legal implications of this ruling by the supreme court. My question regarding this is, if they can rescind tax exempt status for civil rights violations then why have they not done so already for women? I mean clearly women are treated like 2nd class citizens within the cult.

• azor
    azor

I believe this will be a big hit to most religious organizations. Especially fundamentalists.

What I wonder is which ones will wheather this storm. I believe JW's are certainly in trouble since they do no good for society at large and are extremely bigoted. Will they move their headquarters overseas. Launder their money through their recent land grab. The Catholic church will get through this since they have their own "country". Though they will be seriously bruised along the way. What about all the ones in between?

Thoughts.

• Lieu
    Lieu

Mark 12:13-17 WEBThey sent some of the Pharisees and of the Herodians to him, that they might trap him with words. [14] When they had come, they asked him, "Teacher, we know that you are honest, and don't defer to anyone; for you aren't partial to anyone, but truly teach the way of God. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not? [15] Shall we give, or shall we not give?" But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said to them, "Why do you test me? Bring me a denarius, that I may see it." [16] They brought it. He said to them, "Whose is this image and inscription?" They said to him, "Caesar's." [17] Jesus answered them, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." They marveled greatly at him.

Biblically speaking, they should never have been tax exempt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit